SAU Community

Project: Squat Dodger/no More Curling Like A Bro/get Ankle Better

No Crust Racing

I think if I've learned anything, it's that the plateau I'm at in some things will only be broken by going back to my old training methods and that's not something I'm willing to do at this point.

Old methods in terms of training intensity, eating habits, dedication etc.

I've got a lot of other things on the plate now that I see as equally and in some cases more important so mentally I've settled into a happy spot where I can maintain some strength and physique without sacrificing too much of those others things, time money, relationship happiness.

When I can do legs and back again I might switch to a a 3 days split, push, pull, legs, so I can hit bench, DL and squat a bit harder knowing i have a week to recover. Plus I think I can shorten the total time in the gym (important to me at the moment) and still get enough out of it to be happy.

If there's a mental hurdle (beyond having this back/leg issue right now which to me is as much mental as physical) it's about achieving balance.

As for the benching, I get you, I could definitely push harder, but I will say that I was giving it a pretty red hot go on the 8th rep of the last set I did at that weight, I pushed harder than I would normally (as I tend to hold a little back to avoid injury and by hold a little back I just mean that I'll push as hard as I can up until the point I feel stabilizing/secondary muscles faltering and I won't keep smashing through that point like I used to as I know what happens when I do and I like that I've been able to avoid injuries in that way). If I'd had a spotter I think only a little assistance would've been needed to get me through that sticking point and onto the home stretch.

I didnt get an MRI when I tore my leg, if you're all for saving money, ask yourself, or the practitioner, 'Does the treatment change?'

The answer should be no, unless you need an operation, which is HIGHLY unlikely.

They should be able to find the problem without getting a scan, muscle tear treatment is all the same - breakdown scar tissue, increase bloodflow, allow to heal, repeat.

Learning more about the body, muscle groups, attachment points, referal pains etc. helps as well. Allows you to give the practitioner more of a detailed idea if you 'think' thats what might be causing the issue.

I'm off to see her again, this will be the 3rd visit and based on seeing some improement after the second I might extend it to 4-5 and see where we're at.

On the gym front, back into 3x a week and 3x8 (attempting) on the few weighted exercises I do.

Last night I managed:

8/8/5 at 110 on the bench.

Then did 20 reps of squats with just body weight, no bar, moving feet around to find a comfy spot that allows me to get low (see main thread for question on that)

Then did 20 BW calf raises on a wooden board to allow me to get lower.

20 more BW squats, 20 BW more calf raises.

Managed 8/8/6 at 20kg for chins.

Then did 20 alternating lunges, 10 per side, then some more calf raises, then another 20 BW squats, then another 20 lunges.

Then did some REALLY light dumbell reverse deadlift type things - just feeling out my back, only had 3kg on each hand.

Then managed 8/8/8 at 25kg for dips.

Then did 75 sec front plank, 15sec break, 45sec side plank, 10 sec break, other side plank, 30 sec break another 45 sec front plank and called that a day.

Lower back just above and central to my butt cheeks is still quite tight and tender and stretching doesn't help it (but I continue to stretch daily) but at least the really sharp grabs/twinges have eased off in my leg. Still uncomfortable but say 20% improved.

After that went for a very brisk 3k walk, which I've been doing daily as advised by chrio - everything above has been ok'd by her also.

I'm cutting down a little on the eating as well and weirdly I'm looking a touch leaner in the mid section but my weight is not changing.

Agreed, I just don't think the Physio is trained to deal with my particular issue at present.

The ankle is simply stretch as much as you can and keep using it and that's as good as it'll get, which I' say is probably 80% as good as it was. It's plenty strong, but it the ROM is not stellar and that impairs other exercises, like squats.

My back is either a DL or squat issue, I'd say squat, caused by ankle not moving properly.

Once the Chrio helps me out there, I'll move on to a Podiatrist and see about some orthotics or something.

It really does kill me inside to know that what I did was permanent, I've never injured anything badly to the point where it was an ongoing problem so this has been a hard pill to swallow, which sounds dramatic given the injuries and disabilities other people live with, so I keep that in perspective.

If it turns out the ankle ROM/Gait can't be "fixed" I will abandon squatting and stick to DL, I'll do lunges and take up cycling for my leg work and bonus cardio.

also was a bitter pill for me to swallow being told that my supposed heart condition would mean that I would never be able to join the army, no more mma or contact sport, sprinting is out

but oh hey I can go to a picnic and have a light game of soccer with friends............... I literally wanted to punch the doctor in the face

also told in regards to lifting weights "take it easy, just lift to keep in a bit of shape because end of the day it doesn't offer much cardiovascular benefits, go for a brisk walk instead"

strong unaware

Went to Chiro, she said keep up the exercise, said back required less correction this time and recommended a local Podiatrist.

Will make an appointment with him to see what we can do mechanically to avoid further issues, improve mobility etc.

I'll get this sorted eventually.

The 13th was a year since I broke my leg and dislocated my ankle.

Also, sit works for my shed starts today, woo.

Gym last night, think I'll drop a touch off the bench again as I'm hitting 8-7-5 and I'd rather be going 8-8-8 or at worst 8-8-6

8-7-5 at 110 = 2200kg, 8-8-6 at 105 = 2305kg and if I go 100kg it's 2400kg lifted if I get them all(which I should come close to). So I'm playing with weights at the moment to get as much volume as I can right now.

Did a bunch of 20 reps BW squats between sets of things, many sets of calf raises, some weighted (only 3kg) and many sets of lunges plus my planks etc.

Chins I went 8-8-6 at 20kg and felt I was pulling higher and clearing the bar more.

Dips I added 1.25 and made the full 3x8 at 26.25kg - just.

Went for a 3k walk up the hill also.

Murica.