SAU Community

Project: Squat Dodger/no More Curling Like A Bro/get Ankle Better

No Crust Racing

you should have told me you were digging up your yard, I could have sent the Husky down to help

bitch wont stop digging my yard up

girly hands can be fixed by urinating on them................... just saying

You were warned...

Did a 2 setter on Monday to get back into the swing after my week off, which wasn't really much of a week off but anyway.

Last night, mixed it up a bit, dropped breaks from 2mins down to 1min, then 90 secs and lowered the weight a little on the bench knowing that the shorter breaks would make it harder, kept it the same for chins/dips.

Managed 8/8/6 on each of my weighted motions, bench, chins, dips.

Had no issue doing rows.

Aside from that, between each of the heavier things did heaps of bodyweight squats, prob 60 reps at least, heaps of calf raises with a few dumbells, good mornings, pretend deads, some dumbell lunges and a good 2.5mins of planking while moving around, as in 30 sec front then switch to right side, then left, then back to front, just kept alternating.

Was a good 40min session with a good heart rate going the whole time.

Trying to shorten sessions but keep up some intensity and burn a few more calories, that plus some food changes sees my mid section leaning off a little and the old abs showing up more.

There's been no improvement in my back/leg discomfort. Heel raises haven't changed anything. Admittedly I haven't been doing that calf stretch, but that was more an ankle rom issue where as I feel the back is an actual injury. I might head back to the Chiro and get an ultrasound or an MRI and see what's going on with the soft tissues.

Edited by ActionDan

Did a 2 setter on Monday to get back into the swing after my week off, which wasn't really much of a week off but anyway.

Last night, mixed it up a bit, dropped breaks from 2mins down to 1min, then 90 secs and lowered the weight a little on the bench knowing that the shorter breaks would make it harder, kept it the same for chins/dips.

Managed 8/8/6 on each of my weighted motions, bench, chins, dips.

Had no issue doing rows.

Aside from that, between each of the heavier things did heaps of bodyweight squats, prob 60 reps at least, heaps of calf raises with a few dumbells, good mornings, pretend deads, some dumbell lunges and a good 2.5mins of planking while moving around, as in 30 sec front then switch to right side, then left, then back to front, just kept alternating.

Was a good 40min session with a good heart rate going the whole time.

Trying to shorten sessions but keep up some intensity and burn a few more calories, that plus some food changes sees my mid section leaning off a little and the old abs showing up more.

There's been no improvement in my back/leg discomfort. Heel raises haven't changed anything. Admittedly I haven't been doing that calf stretch, but that was more an ankle rom issue where as I feel the back is an actual injury. I might head back to the Chiro and get an ultrasound or an MRI and see what's going on with the soft tissues.

I'd save the money from an MRI and spend it on physio treatment Dan.

The treatment stays the same either way and if they can't work out what is wrong by feel and the symptoms then I would be going somewhere else.

Unless its an injury that just happens and throws a disk out, then a chiro isn't really the right choice IMO.

The muscles need to be strengthened, sure, if its a debilitating pain, see a chiro to put your spine straight...

But start going to a physio to get the muscles and everything sorted out. With the muscles being imbalanced pulling you out of straight, simply by forcing it back straight without fixing the tight spot causing it, it will slip back out again. Maybe you'll need 6 months or more of treatment. But you've got to live the rest of your life in the only body you have..

Won't be much fun in 5 years time when you can't play with your children because of a bad back.

See post in other thread, not typing it again :)

Thanks for the suggestion though.

When I get through this busy period I'll have time to consider further treatment, for now I'm continuing to exercise and not avoiding anything back related (I just spent 2 full days working on the shed, it was not back friendly).

I've got an OK tolerance for pain, it's more so after I'm done and I sit down and go to get back up again and get that intense nerve pain in my leg that I might wince like a girl.

Edited by ActionDan

See post in other thread, not typing it again :)

Thanks for the suggestion though.

When I get through this busy period I'll have time to consider further treatment, for now I'm continuing to exercise and not avoiding anything back related (I just spent 2 full days working on the shed, it was not back friendly).

I've got an OK tolerance for pain, it's more so after I'm done and I sit down and go to get back up again and get that intense nerve pain in my leg that I might wince like a girl.

tolerance for pain doesn't mean it's any less of an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Back from my week up north where I did little more than eat and drink, minimal weight gain while away, some size and tone changes though.

Despite not doing anymore more strenuous than some one on one basketball with my brother and a few swimming pool sessions being a clown, I did nothing strenuous and I'm still having notable back/leg discomfort.

I'm booked into see a new Physio today, a guy I've worked with and had great success before when I thought my elbow would never heal he sorted it.

The shed work clearly took a toll and I've still got more to do so Gym might take a back seat for a bit.

See how I go.

</Tom_Clancy>

OK so I saw my physio, he;s the guy who sorted my bad elbow and forearm years ago.

He worked on my lower back and commented on how stiff it was and said it felt like it hadn't moved properly in years. He also said my glute medius felt very weak.

He gave me 3 exercises. A hip flexor stretch where you assume a hammy stretch like stance and tilt your pelvis up like you're trying to pee over a fence, a glute stretch where you lie on your back, cross one leg over the other and grab the ankle and pull towards you with one hand and guide the knee with the other. And last another glute one, stand both feet on a resistence band, cross the band over and move one leg at a time out to the side, this really burns my glutes.

I'm supposed to do that 3x daily, but since Friday have only managed it a few times as I've been so busy - bought the band to work today to make sure I do it.

Friday Gym was a 2 setter welcome back session, my legs really felt it despite only doing empty bar squats and deads and lunges with 6 or so KG per dumbbell. Got through 2 sets of everything at the previous weights.

Spent hours on the shed this weekend and ended up sealing the concrete which was like 5-6hrs of painting action, back is really sore today.

Physio again on Friday.

Feel so old and sore lol.

Managed to get into those 3 movs a bit more, probably doing them all twice a day.

Gym'ed Monday, a 2 setter only and again on Wednesday going 3 sets but failing on all at around the 6-7th rep on the 3rd set.

At the moment I'm going physio stretch, bench, physio stretch, chins, physio band move, dips, maybe a set of rows or some planking.

Saw physio again this morning, he said back feels like it;s moving a little better, but I've not noticed any difference in discomfort as I've been working on the shed.

Sealed all the floor which was 4+hrs of bending/twisting. Then mounted a ceiling fan, so climbing around in the roof cavity etc. Not easy on a sore back.

Physio said go ahead and drop in a 20 rep set of empty bar squats and see how you feel but I might hold that off as I have to clean and reseal the pergola this weekend and do some more work around the house, joy.

I see what you mean Birds, some Tom Clancy shit right there.

Alive again. Picked up a gastro type bug and spent a lot of time hating life. Dropped 2-3kg, did not gym last night lol

Back at work today, see how I feel tomorrow.

The time spent lying down was good for my back but I need to get back into the phsyio movements now.

Hey Dan, sorry to hear you've been unwell. Hope you recover quickly and work isnt too crazy for you at this time of year :)

Gym'd last night, mixed back.

Got to out 6 reps on the 3rd set of bench but crushed the pull ups, assuming due to weight loss, dips were oddly had though.

Spent a good 90 mins in the roof the day before running cable and re-sealed the pergola which took about 4hrs on the weekend so back has had a bit of a flogging again.

Physio this morning who says it's feeling better to him and I can start to use it a bit more though he noted it's getting plenty of use in my house project work already.

Upped the resistance and reps on the glute medius band stretch, brutal lol like a corky in the butt cheek.

Weighed 85.5kg this morning, normally I'm about 88. I actually don't mind this though as I was wanting to drop a few KG. It's weird though as I'm fully hydrated again but the weight did not return so it can't have been too much water weight.