SAU Community

Project: Squat Dodger/no More Curling Like A Bro/get Ankle Better

No Crust Racing

It's funny, the back that is. I'm doing very light squatting, DL, rows, lunges and it seems fine, but if I have a day on the car bending and twisting it's ANGRY.

Anyway. Last night I thought I had that 8th rep, seven felt easier so I went for it and got about 80% of the way to the pins, which is probably about half way up to lock out (but once I get to around the pins I'm past my sticking point and can make the rest). So close.

Everything else was fine, made the chins and dips, lunges, rows, calf raises, and managed a 2m 10s plank.

I think I could go further, just being sensible and doing little increments at a time.

It also doesn't help that it's done straight after chins so my shoulders and shoulder girdle really feel it while holding the plank.

All good though, not trying to set the world on fire, just tightening up the mid section a bit to help my core.

during mma and boxing training my best plank was 10 minutes

that was to win a charity competition where it was timed, otherwise in the gym it was just up to the trainers to call stop when they had their fun

8th rep will come. Have you been increasing weight each day and trying to hit 8 reps or staying on the same weight?

Nice, don't think I've ever done anything remotely close to that.

Nah no increases. I only just recently switched back to 3x8 and lowered the weight a little to find a good starting point where I was hitting 8/8/4-5.

That was a week or two ago, since then just getting back into grove of 3x8 and seeing that 3rd set improve, it's only been the last 2-3 sessions I've managed the 7th rep.

Honestly not fussed. This seems like a good enough weight for now (105kg) and I'm in no made rush to increase.

Like I said, I've toned it all done a bit and am just enjoying exercising without the pressure of "making" a particular rep or sets goal. That's why I lowered weight to what was close to attainable on each exercise.

Well if you're not enjoying it then its not worth doing. So if now you are enjoying it then stick with it I say

This pretty much sums it up for me.

I'm back to enjoying myself a little more which is more important to me.

I also regretted that plank the next day

Suffer in ya jocks lol

Went to the podiatrist, he gave me heel raises and suggested basic in soles for arch support if not orthotics.

Basically I was always pre-disposed to outward angle on my feet and inward roll due to poor arch strength, my ankle injury has exacerbated that.

He's given me a few key stretches and pointed out some key things i was doing wrong with other ones that the physio never noticed.

He said use the heel raises and arch supports and stretch in these specific ways and he'd be surprised if I needed to come back (other than for proper orthotics), but noted the injury is semi permanent in the reduced ROM.

Suggested squatting with a board is a very good idea for me to allow me to load up properly.

See how we go. If he's right then heel raises and in soles with stretching should help my back and after that I can start to get back into basic squatting and DL.

Yeah see how it goes.

Put the insoles in my gym shoes last night and have the heel raises in today, all I need is thick glasses and a comb over.

So last night went 2x 20 squats (with a board), 2x 20 calf raises with a touch more weight.

Into bench, SO close to the pins on the 8th rep, maybe 5/6ths of the way to the pins? Failed, got out from underneath it, re-racked it then did another 2 reps for the sake of it.

Did 2x 20 reps per side of lunges, so 20 right, 20 left, repeat. That caned for some reason.

Then did chins, weirdly failed out on the 7th rep of the final set, did not make 7 or 8, chucked in another 2 reps after a quicker breather.

Did some fake reverse DLs and some morning glorys, both with really light weight.

Got all my dips out, but was a bit more of a struggle so must of been having a weak day or those 2 extra bench reps taxed me?

Managed a 2min20s plank, then did 2x8 reps of rows and called it a day.

The plank is killing me, when I'm done I feel light headed etc, and yeah I'm breathing throughout.

On the plus side, abs are looking a little better and some changes in diet seem to be having a affect on my stomach, but oddly my weight remains the same as I think I've put a little on in the chest/arms/legs again.

No relief so far from in soles and heel raises, trying to remember to do his ankle rom stretch but that has nothing to do with my back.

If it persists I'll get an MRI,

Friday Gym was much of a muchness, felt quite lethargic. Pretty much a repeat of Wednesday.

Seat mount in the car is finally finished, which has been caning my back, but I have a fair bit of shed work coming up so no rest for me.