SAU Community

Project: Squat Dodger/no More Curling Like A Bro/get Ankle Better

No Crust Racing

I meant that for ther same weight I am now, I've had bigger arms (which would mean smaller elsewhere and likely in the legs, I'm more balanced now).

Yeah I know I'd need more mass, it's more of a wish than a need, I don't want to be any heavier right now as there's a touch too much on the gut for my liking.

lol it's not a hang up Rev, my wrists are small, my hands are slender, my shin bones, ankles etc, just small joints, lighter build is all, not a big deal just something I've noted.

As for Gym last night.

Legs had a few tender spots from Monday (after which I did a 4.5k power walk with Kate up the hill) So toned back a little.

Did single set of 10 bw squats to loosen up a little then got into bench and went 8/8/6.8 that is I got the 7th rep over the pins, higher than last time, and kept pushing and was very very close to lockout height but couldn't quite get it. Very close though. When I can lock out 7th consistently I'll look to add a touch of weight, though I also realise I could add a touch of weight now and that'd help me get past that 105kg 7th rep.

Did 2 sets of 10 empty bar squats with a board - noticed my left knee "wiggles" as I get down past parallel, that is, it quickly flicks inwards then back out again, both sides do it bu it's really noticable on the left.

Between those 2 sets did 20 calf raises with some 3kg dumbells.

Managed 8/8/7 on the chins, 7 was ugly and got half way up for the 8th rep. Took a quick 10sec breather then squeezed out one more.

Did some 20 rep per side single leg lunges with the 3kg dumbbells and some reverse pretend deadlift with the same weights.

Went 8/8/8 on the dips so can look to add a little more next time.

Then did a 2min plank and 2 sets of 8 rows, just light ones to see how it felt.

Funny you should say that Leesh, I'd say they've gotten easier.

Remember I've switched to 3x8s and backed the weight off on everything so I can come close to making the 3x8.

I'm also still using 2min breaks, where as I used to go 60sec.

I'm still going though so that's a good thing :)

Chiro next week and will pull my finger out on the podiatrist.

Just been so busy, shed, car, gym, etc.

Fair enough. When I read it, your workouts seem to be becoming more intense.. maybe your body is adapting better now and you're not realizing. I didn't know you're using 2 minute breaks though. I keep my breaks to 45 sec to a minute except bench and squats are two minutes and deads can be up to 5 minutes.

They're a bit faster paced in that I'll now slot a few extra squat reps or something in between sets of things and keep my heart up but 2min breaks are pretty generous.

If I was back to 60secs I could not do what I'm doing now in terms of weight and reps.

I play with that from time to time though, longer breaks when I'm going heavier or trying top break a plateau then I'll hit a busy period at home and drop back to 60secs (with lower weight) to get it done quicker.

Forgot to update Friday.

Got the 7th rep on bench pretty easily somehow, only got half way up to the pins on the 8th rep though, so I'm close enough to probably add a little weight.

Tried some 20 rep squats with a huge 5kg on the bar (the bar weighs 6 I think as I was using my smaller 6ft bar as not to unload the 7ft one. Did calf raises with a bit heavier dumbbells.

Managed the full set of chins and dips and did some more lunges and another 2min plank and another 2 sets of rows at 73kg which seemed OK.

MY back and leg is tender today but I think that mostly came from a full day working on the car Saturday. I have the chrio again this week and I think I'll move on to podiatrist after that as I'm not getting anywhere with it.

After this round of issues with my back I've stepped it back a bit, on the squat and DL front mainly.

I had no experience doing those motions then go into them and started adding weight, with a funny gait and weird pelvis due to my leg issues, I think that's loaded me up wrong and caused this back problem. So I need to get that sorted first.

Also, with limited time, desire to eat like a pro etc, I'm not about to make huge gains.

I'm also on the high side of 80kg's so no longer the skinny 65kg kid I was that developed these paranoia's about being skinny.

Could I have bigger arms? Yes. Do I want to train and eat as hard as I need to in order to get them? Probably not. I'm not a weakling anymore, I'm not scrawny anymore, and I've got so many other things I like to do, plus a 6mth old daughter.

So I've just stepped back a little mentally. Dropped the weights to what's challenging for me, but not completely unattainable, and am just looking to stay a little stronger than your average desk jockey and stay in shape.

Just relaxing the whole vibe a bit, as I was getting a bit devo about not being able to squat and DL big numbers or beat Marko's girls etc etc.

Edited by ActionDan