SAU Community

Another R32 Gtr Build [Syd]

Right guys and gals,

I’ve been on here a while and posted very little, mostly because I had little to post about but since I am going to be doing a bit of work on my car I thought I might as well share the experience…

Last year I bought a 1989 R32 GTR which was fairly modified, it was up for sale on here but since there was little interest and my plans have changed I have decided to keep it and build it. Just now it has:

Twin HKS 2350 turbos
Mines 600cc fuel injectors
Mines Air Flow Meters
Genuine Mines Tuned ECU
Autobahn88 600x300x100 FMIC with hard piping kit inc. HKS front pipe
Twin Blitz BOVs
Bosch 040 in-tank fuel pump
HKS air pod filters
Trust Extended Sump
Standard internals
Oil filter relocation kit with new HKS oil filter.
Autobahn88 Silicon hose to replace all heater hoses and radiator hoses
Brand new NPC 5 puck organic clutch and lightened flywheel to suit
3” Veilside Evolution II cat back exhaust
Modena Racing 17x9 alloys
Aftermarket fiberglass Side skirts, not sure what brand...
Tein adjustable suspension.
upgraded slotted and drilled brake discs front and back with new pads.
JIC racing front upper control (camber) arms
HKS Turbo timer
GRID HICAS electronic lock out (VERY RARE)
Greddy Profec B Boost controller
Trust boost guage
Recaro drivers seat
Momo steering wheel with boss kit.

Some pics of the car as it is just now.

Photos:
DSCF2004_zpsf12e7308.jpg

DSCF2005_zpse964e464.jpg

DSCF2006_zpsbdd6bcf3.jpg

DSCF2008_zpsd11e8230.jpg

DSCF2009_zps7fe69aa5.jpg

DSCF2010_zpse3bc3ff6.jpg

DSCF2011_zps4b841fbf.jpg

DSCF2012_zps4880b4e4.jpg

DSCF2013_zpsf520d63d.jpg

DSCF2014_zpse338117c.jpg

Plans:

Strip motor down, install forged rods and pistons, new tomei gaskets, new N1 water pump, N1 oil pump with billet gears and crank collar and give it a damn good tune…

Then once that is done get it tidied up, maybe a respray in the not too distant future, new seats, new suspension, new sideskirts and some new wheels. Not going crazy on this build so it might be a bit slow at times.

Will do my best to keep it updated.

Comments/opinions welcomed,

Thanks for reading

Dave. :)

Small update:

The engine is out and will be getting stripped starting tomorrow. Then the real work can begin!!

Will also be picking up the cam, valley and timing belt covers so I can get them painted. Not decided on a color yet but was thinking of just doing a simple coat of red wrinkle paint. Also re-painting the inlet manifold black or silver...

Will get pics of the progress up when I get a chance to get down to the shop (hopefully tomorrow)...

Here are a couple of pics I took with my phone while I was done at the shop this morning picking up the few parts in going to paint.

Engine out...

IMG_0608_zpsd7a96e83.jpg

soon to be striped apart...

IMG_0607_zpsd8e281e8.jpg

More updates/photos soon hopefully

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I took home the engine covers and inlet manifold to give them a bit or a tidy up and here is the result so far,

Inlet prepped and primed:

IMG_0707_zps9e9152b1.jpg

Painted:

IMG_0709_zps2a9f8e76.jpg

For the engine covers i decided to use the VHT Wrinkle plus paint. First time I have used it so was a bit nervous about the results but was happy in the end:

Before,

IMG_0704_zpsd33eb8e5.jpg

Straight after applying paint,

IMG_0710_zpsd38964da.jpg

IMG_0711_zpsb9184a3d.jpg

2 hours later,

IMG_0712_zps664d0d65.jpg

IMG_0715_zps4e2dfa26.jpg

then the finished product,

IMG_0716_zpsafc12128.jpg

I am very happy with the results. :) I will post up the other covers as I do them...

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work with the crinkle paint, I was unaware what the finish product would look like without using a heatgun but it looks awesome.

Especially with the white 'RB26'

Nice work with the crinkle paint, I was unaware what the finish product would look like without using a heatgun but it looks awesome.

By using a heat gun you get to wrinkle consistently across the object and it only takes like ten minutes to get the results.

Nice job though mate.

Thanks Zorbe, Yeah it was my first time using it. Sprayed it on and a couple hours later it was wrinkled nicely. The 'RB26' on the cover is actually just bare metal, sanded the paint off. Just looks white because of the flash on the camera...

By using a heat gun you get to wrinkle consistently across the object and it only takes like ten minutes to get the results.

Nice job though mate.

Thanks Ants, I thought about getting a heat gun on it but decided I didn't want to buy one just for 10 mins work... Looks good enough for me. Better than it did at first anyway...

• 2 months later...

RIGHT!

I know I have been pretty slack on up-dating this but have been working out in Western Queensland for the last couple of months. Finally got a minute to myself so thought I should up-date this.

Car is all finished and back together. Huge thanks to Marcus at Team K Kustoms. Great guy and know his stuff. Really happy with the work.

List of work done:

Remove motor and gearbox

Strip motor

Chemically clean

Block cracked tested

Block decked

Block bored 20 thou over

Cylinder head fully service {crack tested, machine, valves reseated, new valve stem seals, vacuum tested}

Tomei Valve springs

Crankshaft machined 10 thou over main bearings

Crankshaft conrod finished and polished

JE forged pistons 20 thou over

JE piston rings

Scat forged conrods with upgraded ARP 2000 bolts

ARP head stud kit

ARP main stud kit

ACL race series conrod bearings

ACL race series main bearings

Tomei Multi layered steal head gasket

N1 oil pump

N1 water pump

Tomei Sump baffle

Tomei Cam baffle

Tomei Head Gasket

Genuine Nissan full gasket kit (except head gasket)

Paint motor

Recondition injectors

new spark plugs

hardrace performance engine mounts

new timing belt

Reassemble motor

Refit engine and gearbox

Oils, coolants etc

Oil filter

Dyno tune

So pictures...

r32gtr013_zps1c2588f9.jpg
r32gtr015_zpsfff4d1bd.jpg
r32gtr012_zps65d7d81e.jpg
r32gtr010_zps81221c74.jpg
r32gtr016_zps6b5a52e0.jpg
r32gtr021_zps3908f0c7.jpg
Finished product
r32gtr024_zpsd7840a14.jpg
And back in the car...
r32gtr027_zps7e26cfc2.jpg
Still running it in a bit and not had a final tune done. Safe tuned at around 280kw for a run in.
Will get it on the Dyno once I get back to the big smoke (Sydney) in a couple of weeks or so.
Will up-date once I get something new...

Always good to see 32's getting the love they

deserve. Great build man, That paint on the

covers came up awesome.

Can't wait to see the dyno figures.

r32gtr021_zps3908f0c7.jpg
Finished product
r32gtr024_zpsd7840a14.jpg
And back in the car...
Still running it in a bit and not had a final tune done. Safe tuned at around 280kw for a run in.
Will get it on the Dyno once I get back to the big smoke (Sydney) in a couple of weeks or so.
Will up-date once I get something new...

That engine with those engine covers look strikingly like my old engine.

Build looks great mate. Keen to see the end result and then you can have LOTS of fun ;)

Keep it up.

Thanks guys. Yeah it's good to see the improvements.

Sadly I don't get to drive it much at the moment due to work.

Still not sure if I should keep it or let it go to someone else who could enjoy it more than me, plus it's not hugely great to drive around Sydney in traffic... But every time I drive it I want to keep it. Haha.