SAU Community

Battlefield 4

Doobs

Someone who would say there's no skill to COD other than point and shoot would perform very poorly in it!

There's tons of things you don't realise about the game until you've been playing it for a long time. Many of these are specific to a COD game like Blops 2, others knowledges transfer from release to release.

A mate and I were discussing this question at the gym last night. He is more BF and I am more COD. We came to the conclusion that COD is the game you play when you want quick start up, fast action, fast kills; an intense experience in a short amount of time. It's a modern day counter-strike with no respawn times. BF is more properly team oriented, with open maps, use of vehicles, a higher degree of dependency on your team - going for the realism factor.

I draw the line at people saying BF is more strategic or tactical, because it's not, really. No game is, as the best players at any game will have devised and autonomous tactics for how they do what they do. I will say though, that the initial learning curve for a newbie to either is probably shorter for COD, simply cause you can get in there and point and shoot if you want, and feel like you are playing it properly straight up, unlike BF - but you will die and die as players who know maps better, who know how to use radar and exploit other functions of the game know exactly where you're going to go, will overcome you. There are psychologies and things you don't properly understand about it until you've been playing for a long time. It gets to a point where you can literally predict what people are going to do because like poker you become very familiar with tells.

The two are often pitted against each other - undeservedly so, I feel. This is probably only done because they would both be the biggest selling and longest running titles in the FPS genre. So same genre, but very different games in their own right, which is why they should not be compared. I know many who own both and play them seperately because of the difference. Others swap back and forth as each new title gets released. And really, with both games fetching the sales that they do...no one in their right mind could say either is "crap" beyond their own subjective opinion. Both have plenty of market share, so it's a case of take your pick or get both.

tl;dr: COD is better :P

Someone who would say there's no skill to COD other than point and shoot would perform very poorly in it!

There's tons of things you don't realise about the game until you've been playing it for a long time. Many of these are specific to a COD game like Blops 2, others knowledges transfer from release to release.

A mate and I were discussing this question at the gym last night. He is more BF and I am more COD. We came to the conclusion that COD is the game you play when you want quick start up, fast action, fast kills; an intense experience in a short amount of time. It's a modern day counter-strike with no respawn times. BF is more properly team oriented, with open maps, use of vehicles, a higher degree of dependency on your team - going for the realism factor.

I draw the line at people saying BF is more strategic or tactical, because it's not, really. No game is, as the best players at any game will have devised and autonomous tactics for how they do what they do. I will say though, that the initial learning curve for a newbie to either is probably shorter for COD, simply cause you can get in there and point and shoot if you want, and feel like you are playing it properly straight up, unlike BF - but you will die and die as players who know maps better, who know how to use radar and exploit other functions of the game know exactly where you're going to go, will overcome you. There are psychologies and things you don't properly understand about it until you've been playing for a long time. It gets to a point where you can literally predict what people are going to do because like poker you become very familiar with tells.

The two are often pitted against each other - undeservedly so, I feel. This is probably only done because they would both be the biggest selling and longest running titles in the FPS genre. So same genre, but very different games in their own right, which is why they should not be compared. I know many who own both and play them seperately because of the difference. Others swap back and forth as each new title gets released. And really, with both games fetching the sales that they do...no one in their right mind could say either is "crap" beyond their own subjective opinion. Both have plenty of market share, so it's a case of take your pick or get both.

tl;dr: COD is better :P

Battlefield way better than COD!

Dat dere strategic gameplay

I have been a huge Battlefield fan from day one - back with BF 1945 - I have played all expansions from desert storm, to spec ops to BF4. BF4 is a good game if you're new to the scene - it's a lot easier and noob friendly. They have changed the mechanics of a few things (Notable is the Helicopter) which have turn things for the worse if you're wanting more "Pro style" type of playing - nowadays the Helicopter auto-hovers and turns are easier to make but are not forgiving for more harder turns.

The gameplay itself has improved with buildings and maps and boats / content. However, when you fiddle with the mechanics of a game you're up the greek - even worse when a game has been playing for over 10+ years.

To sum it up - BF4 is kind of like a HUGE expansion of BF3. BF4 has the better content but BF3 the better mechanics.

I'd rate BF2 (for it's time) 8/10

BF3 - 8.5/10

and BF4 - 7/10.

To mention: BFBC2 - 8/10.

^This will give my opinon on the other games EA has come out with so you know how I have summed up rating BF4.

BF2 for it's time was da bomb. i bougght bf3 but only clcoked 3 hours on it, no idea why I bought it lol but so far clocked like 50 hours + on bf4 and loving it.

I played hours and hours of capture the flag on 1942
The biggest let down of the most recent BF games is the lack of large vehicles.
You used to be able to drive the massive air craft carrier around the map and the massive B52 wasn't static

I checked out the china rising DLC on youtube and the bomber from china rising also only flys in a straight line across the map.

That's probably the biggest let down of all these.

Other than that I have been really enjoying BF4

• 3 weeks later...

I hope you didn't forget about BF Vietnam either...

Would never forget BFV - My favourite addition to the BF serious. I was comparing the 3 latest type of modern warefare - BF3, BF4 and BFBC2. BFBC2's gameplay was far more superior to BF3/4. They got the Anti-Air right - stationairy AA's that are in one spot only - Troops with Stingers on their soldiers is hard enough.

But in saying that - it took me a good couple of months for me to start enjoying BF4 - starting to get into it now. Not a fan of the China DLC though.

just picked up the bf4 digital deluxe edition for half price on Origin, not sure if the discount is available for everyone or if i just got lucky, pretty happy either way though

• 1 month later...

I'm still playing it. Have been playing a bit of Black Ops 2 on 360 again, though...it's just much more fun for me than BF4. Getting 25-0 kill scores and the fast paced movement of the game can't be replicated in the BF genre.

Prefer the snipers from BF4 though, not as much quickscoping and they usually miss if you're quick enough.

• 1 month later...

I only just bought it. Don't know why it took my so long i played the shit out of BF3. probably because it is the first game i have had to pay for myself in 4 years. Loving it so much at the moment.