SAU Community

A Few Questions For The Motorsport Guru's

The_Seth

G'day guys and girls, I have recently began to throw together a few safety items for my 93 R33 Gts-s Coupe and have a few questions i couldn't quite get answers for.

Firstly, Bolt in rollcages. I searched all through this forum and read what i could but the information i found was a bit old now, so recently i got into contact with a mob called AGI Precision about potentially getting either a half cage of a full cage both of which would be bolt in. The reason im going bolt in is because the chances of me wrecking my car on the track is sitting at about 53.4% and i would rather like to use it again rather then having another made for the next chassis.

Anyway so i got a quote from them and the prices are fairly reasonable for both options, what im asking from you guru's is any word on this company. Has anyone delt with one of their cages before? Got a friend with one? Maybe own one? Or even scrutineer one? Im very interested in feedback on them before i proceed with purchasing.

Secondly, Fixed Bucket Seat. As a 6'1 fella with 90kg's on him and a comfortably sized ass im trying to see what suggestions everyone might have, i have had my eyes set on a Velo GP90 for some time and i've read some good things but im open to suggestions and opinions. Also with that what rails should i be using? Do i want to keep the standard sliding setup or just go fixed mounting position? Do i need to be so low that im barely able to see over the dash?

Lastly! Racing Harness. Again im open to suggestions on this one, im not after some wank factor set i just comfortable ones that have a good release mech and will keep me safe if all goes to hell.

As a R33 owner i am a tight-ass but when it comes to this stuff im willing to put down the extra cash to keep me safe, oh and i live in the middle of bloody no-where so trying out seats and harnesses for myself quickly becomes a very costly exercise so im putting my trust into your feedback.

Thank you for your time.

Definitely no guru but have put together a few track cars, and helped others put them together, also dabbled in some field testing.

First time I have heard of AGI Precision but the photos of their work looks neat. Make sure it's installed correctly with the correct grade fasteners.

Seats - hate to say it but you really need to try them out see what suits your frame. I am about the same size as you (6'2 / 90kg) and the Velo's fit pretty well - I have a Velo GPT2 wide version sitting here which is a little wide for me, I sold a Velo Podium 2 normal size and that was a great fit. I love Sparco's for fit, Evo2Plus's in my car at the moment, BUT the harness holes are just too low for people our height - especially once you add a HANS device, which means in a crash you risk loading up your spine. I also have a couple of Cobra Sebring Pro's which have the wings, a small and a normal size which I am pretty comfortable in both with preference to the normal size.

Harnesses - Velo make some good ones with a nice dial type release. Only issue is the tags sewed on the belts get a bit caught in the adjustment buckles making them a little hard to tension up. Not sure if they have resolved this in later models. Otherwise price / performance is great and Aussie made too I believe.

Brown and Davis for the cage, $1,500'ish

Sparco Evo for the seat, $750'ish

Seat base and slide, $150'ish (www.conceptracegear.com.au, give Stan a call)

Harness make sure you have a 3" all around harness (have a look on www.rallynuts.com), $250'ish (plus you will need a plate for the tunnel side $10)