SAU Community

What suspension to get??

Hey guys,

Got a bit of a problem, i'm putting up with overly hard coilovers got 450pound in the front and 300 in the back but can't go lower cause i've been informed by a few stores that i'll ruin the shocks and cause instability in traction.

Want to change but on very tight budget about $1000.

I'm even considering going back to straight shocks and get good springs cause damper adjustable suspension is way outta the price range. Also i've noticed a few posts on here that even with Tein damper adjustable people are saying too firm.

Want to know what i can get in that price range that is going to give me a smooth street ride, don't need to include wild drift specs, no track work and will give good traction on these crappy roads.

Hi JXL, my suggestions follow;

i'll ruin the shocks

That's simply not true :bs!:

How can softer springs ruin shocks, like all hydrualic devices shocks are velocity sensitive, they increase restriction (damping) with increased speed of movement. So when you put softer springs in, the rebound velocity goes down and the shock compensates. This results in less wear on the shock rebound valving, not more. :headspin:

cause instability in traction

Equally, simply not true. :Oops: In fact exactly the opposite, softer spring rate = more traction, particularly on not so smooth roads.

Want to know what i can get in that price range that is going to give me a smooth street  ride

My suggestion and I have done this hundreds of times, is to lower the spring rate. We never go over 200 lbs in the rear, that would be where I would start. You may find the front is OK. If not, then 350 lbs is a good match for the 200 lbs in the rear. Total cost would be less than half your budget. :D

I have given this advice to a number of people on this forum, most find the improvement very cost effective. if you still feel the shocks are too harsh, then you can change them later on but still keep the springs. Konis or Bilsteins would b my recommendation. You can then sell the original springs and shocks as a set. Net cost would still be less than your $1K budget. :aroused:

Hope that helps

Much appreciated SK, thanks for all the info in my previous suspension post.

Just wonder if I was a bit vague but I actually have coilover shocks, would this information be the same to coilovers instead of normal shocks.??

If so i gonna get new coil springs next week dearly hoping for a solution.

THanks.

Hi JXL, my suggestions follow;

That's simply not true :bs!:  

How can softer springs ruin shocks, like all hydrualic devices shocks are velocity sensitive, they increase restriction (damping) with increased speed of movement.  So when you put softer springs in, the rebound velocity goes down and the shock compensates.  This results in less wear on the shock rebound valving, not more. :headspin:  

Equally, simply not true.  :Oops:  In fact exactly the opposite, softer spring rate = more traction, particularly on not so smooth roads.

My suggestion and I have done this hundreds of times, is to lower the spring rate.  We never go over 200 lbs in the rear, that would be where I would start.  You may find the front is OK.  If not, then 350 lbs is a good match for the 200 lbs in the rear.  Total cost would be less than half your budget. :rant:  

I have given this advice to a number of people on this forum, most find the improvement very cost effective.  if you still feel the shocks are too harsh, then you can change them later on but still keep the springs.  Konis or Bilsteins would b my recommendation.  You can then sell the original springs and shocks as a set.  Net cost would still be less than your $1K budget. :aroused:  

Hope that helps

Just wonder if I was a bit vague but I actually have coilover shocks, would this information be the same to coilovers instead of normal shocks.??.

Parrallel coils springs (as in coil overs) are easier and cheaper to buy than tappered coil springs as in standard Skyline. Plus they are available in lots of different springs rates. All you need to know is the ID of the coil and the free (unloaded) height, then order away. We use Whiteline (direct from Whiteline) or Eibach (from Heasmans).

Hope that helps some more

JXL... if you have an R32 then i have a set of new Whiteline front springs you can have for $140 + postage. I think you will find they will even fit R33, but i will have to check the part number ofthe spring i have to see what sort of ride height you would end up with ... but if you have height adjustable coil overs then thats not a problem anyway.

Let me know...they are just sitting in my loungeroom collecting dust, they were bought about 4 weeks ago in a mad attempt to get the car ready for a track day, ended up missing the track day and founf another solution to my front spring problem

Hey Roy thanks for the offer, tell me the model number of the springs and its spring rate and let me check it out.

Thanks

JXL... if you have an R32 then i have a set of new Whiteline front springs you can have for $140 + postage.   I think you will find they will even fit R33, but i will have to check the part number ofthe spring i have to see what sort of ride height you would end up with ... but if you have height adjustable coil overs then thats not a problem anyway.

Let me know...they are just sitting in my loungeroom collecting dust, they were bought about 4 weeks ago in a mad attempt to get the car ready for a track day, ended up missing the track day and founf another solution to my front spring problem

Product Code is 73175 , WL h/duty coil springs - pair.

If you ring your local Whitelien distributer they will be able to tell you for sure what spring rate they are and the retail price