SAU Community

Oil Coolers - Nismo Vs Arc

I'm not the one to start new threads especially if I think this topic has been covered before. Unfortunately, I can't find any info regarding NISMO vs ARC oil cooler options.

My GTR is going to be a dedicated track car and I want to buy a good oil cooler for it. I'm not planning on doing a lot of power building so I don't need a gigantic core with fans, etc.

I've narrowed my chooses down to two:

Nismo. I like that it has a replacement for the sandwhich and has a thermastat. I also like the fact that it comes with a shroud. The Nismo kit is basically a complete kit and has everything the driver needs to replace. I don't like where it mounts and I don't like that it has long lines that connect it to the sandwhich. On top of that, it looks like a basic $50 Earl's core and lines with a NISMO logo.

ARC. I love that it mounts because it doesn't bother the airflow of other car components. The long design is awesome and I like that the oil will flows horizontally as opposed to vertically (NISMO because of the way its mounted). I don't like that it looks bulky. I want to keep my stock grille. I dont like the fact that it doesn't come with a shroud to direct air to and from.

Both are expensive but I often see ARC cores in the marketplace.

Anyone have experience with both or either one? Which one will be a better purchase?

Edited by Bigalow

digressing a little here, but ever thought of building your own kit?

Those GReddy GREX sandwich plates can be had for a small amount, which comes with a built in thermostat. Then just buy a core of your liking, that being Earls or Mocal, etc.. some lines & speedflow fittings and bam! Then if want a shroud, just go to some fabricator to make one.. Should end up a lot cheaper and probably even better than those kits.

Did you look at the HKS kit? It looks like a pretty good kit that mounts in the passenger wheel section and comes with shrouding and thermostat and there much cheaper than the two you mentioned.

Also if your in Vic Racepace have there own oil cooler kits that are mounted in the passenger wheel section of the front bar and are track proven.

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. <br />yes, I've considered other options and narrowed it down to the coolers I mentioned in the first post. <br /><br />Sent from my SC-03D<br /><br />

Frankly I think you are looking at this a little wrong.

Speedflow, Earls, Aeromotive etc all will do the job. If its a dedicated track car why do you even want the complication of a thermostat?

Buy a billet sandwich plate, 4 speedlfow fittings and some 10AN line to go to your 14-24 row cooler and duct it up. There are so many variables with regards to fitting depending on the car you run, the cooler pipes you run often the bolt on kits are not bolt on unless your car is std in most areas

Nismo and ARC are big dollars and dont seem to even suit what you are chasing for a dedicated track car thgat needs to put cooling performance and pressure drop no.1

Thanks for your concerns mate. My GTR is a dedicated track car, yes, but not a race car. I don't need an elaborate cooler setup as I'll only track it once-twice a month in the "stock class" with not much higher horsepower. The Nismo or arc will serve my needs. <br /><br />I appreciate the feedback though. That's why I love SAU. <br /><br />Sent from my SC-03D<br /><br />

So why do you need a thermostat on a dedicated club car? From memory I run a 14 row cooler and its borderline for oil temps after 5 laps on a 260rwkw car. Its got good airflow but no ducting these days.

If you can get your hands on good condition shrouds from an R32 GTST or R33GTSt then the shrouds off the stock intercoolers can serve as a pretty good starting point for ducting on an oil cooler

The NISMO and ARC ones are more elborate than I ever wanted on a trackl car as they are designed for a street car where getting oil up to temp is a priority and concern over driving in damn cold weater stops temps from getting to optimum levels when the engine is jusdt potting around with no load.

Now consider a track car. OIl coolers only work when there is airflow through them. You start the car up in the pits. Idle away until you get out there and then spend a lap or two getting brakes but you typically using clsoe to full load for a lap then up it. ...Thermostat is just going to open up straight away anyway. This is all assuming you are not tracking a car in near 0 temp track days.

A thermostat like on those kits are subject to gumming up and not working over time...Not really an issue if you buy new, but dont buy used as that escalates the risk of thermostat not functioning correctly. They also requie way more 10AN fittings almost tripling the cost of a good cooler setup. This also means more lines running arodn engine bay, mroe braid and more leak points.

I like the ARC coolers myself and looked at putting just the cooler onto my car to run in parallel with my other. Mostly for giggles as I just like the core. It didnt fit with my Jun grille but there is also the anal engineering question of whether the less rows but longer rows is actually worse for pressure drop then more shorter rows. Probably bugger all difference in it but oen thing that shapes my thnking when I finally get my cooler piping sorted for the new setup and change oil coolers to a new one with ducts

For me sounds like our cars are smiliar. I call my car club spec and do track days that I drive to and from. Plust still loads of street kms a year as a daily driver. I advocate what UI am telling you as its rather a proven thing for me for 1/3 of the price. Anyway...just trying to pass on the thinking why I chose the path I did...your car...your choice :)

Bigalow, Roy does have some good points in his post. The nismo and arc are more street car orientated with the thermostat ect. And can be prone to getting glugged up and not working or giving faulty readings as Roy basically explained. Make your own with speedflow fittings and goog braided line.

Yeah, I have a club car that I occasionally street or daily just for giggles. What I'll do is track the GTR a couple of times and see where my temps are then I'll take it from there.<br /><br />Btw, love you guys<br /><br />Sent from my SC-03D<br /><br />