SAU Community

Building RB20 into RB2.2

I came up with pretty much the same numbers, but then thought whats the least you could get away with:

RB20 Block

Bore & Hone block_________________ $140 ok

Crank Grind ______________________$140 Might be able to get away without this

Full balance, rods, crank_____________$100 ok, low?

Balance and shot peen rods (set)_____$150 Leave out

ACL bearing _____________________ $200 ok

Head rebuild, hydraulic tappets_______ $250 Leave out

Basic Port________________________$500 Leave out the porting - still need the chamber work ~$200???

Arias Pistons_____________________$1,600 4AGZE - still not convinced this works tho - $750 new (forged too)

VRS Gasket kit ____________________$250 ok

ARP Rod Bolts ____________________ $480 Necessary? Are RB26 rod bolts use once? When do you need upgraded bolts in rb26's?

Head gasket - metal________________$300??

Bush rod ends suit smaller gudgeon pins$200??? dont really have any idea what this would cost

Now you have to buy a set of GTR Rods _$350 ok, seen a little cheaper

Also a GTR crank____________________$400 ok, seen a little cheaper

gtr Water & Oil pumps________________$800 used rb26 $400 both

Cams_____________________________$800 leave out, or GTR cams ~$300

Then there are things like timing belt, perhaps new idler bearings etc etc. say ~$500 in other spares and consumables

So $3,500-$4,000

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came up with pretty much the same numbers, but then thought whats the least you could get away with:

RB20 Block

Bore & Hone block_________________ $140 ok

Crank Grind ______________________$140 Might be able to get away without this

Full balance, rods, crank_____________$100 ok, low?

Balance and shot peen rods (set)_____$150 Leave out

ACL bearing _____________________ $200 ok

Head rebuild, hydraulic tappets_______ $250 Leave out

Basic Port________________________$500 Leave out the porting - still need the chamber work ~$200???

Arias Pistons_____________________$1,600 4AGZE - still not convinced this works tho - $750 new (forged too)

VRS Gasket kit ____________________$250 ok

ARP Rod Bolts ____________________ $480 Necessary? Are RB26 rod bolts use once? When do you need upgraded bolts in rb26's?

Head gasket - metal________________$300??

Bush rod ends suit smaller gudgeon pins$200??? dont really have any idea what this would cost

Now you have to buy a set of GTR Rods _$350 ok, seen a little cheaper

Also a GTR crank____________________$400 ok, seen a little cheaper

gtr Water & Oil pumps________________$800 used rb26 $400 both

Cams_____________________________$800 leave out, or GTR cams ~$300

Then there are things like timing belt, perhaps new idler bearings etc etc. say ~$500 in other spares and consumables

So $3,500-$4,000

The basic difference is Roy will find a few dollars in his budget for the odd beer and bourbon, You browny will say, "damm, I didnt budget for that! Gotta go without beer for a week!"

Any big end bolt is use once in the performance world. Well you got me excited Roy... We just bought a house and now I have a base to work on projects! So might try and put together a 2.4 for the local circuit races (Tomie piston kit bout AUD2k). Thats if I dont decide to get a boat! Check the view

Is that a realistic price for Crank / Rods (I have no idea) or would it creep up from there?

TT

Look at those views, i would like to have bought a place around Kurrajong NSW, near the Hawkesbury, but who can afford it, houses have gone up 80% in 3 years...so ill stick with bolting parts on my car.

The price for the rods and crank are prices i commonly see, they go rather cheaply these days, as there is no demand for them. You watch as ppl start bolting GTR cams into their Rb20s the prices start to go up as demand increases, same with ppl that want to rebuild RB20s, for an extra $800 you can have a 2.4L... us poor lowly RB20 owners scrounge for the hand me downs from out bigger brothers

I did a search in the fs section on here, SDU & PF for crank/rods. Prices were generally in the range of $500-700.

I'm really interested to know if the 4AGZE pistons will work easily. The bore is fine (1mm OS gives 82mm) but what about gudgeon pin location?

I need RB20 conrod length & piston crown height so I can work out where it would all sit in the block.

I agree with Roys comment regarding supply & demand. As soon as there is a thread where someone starts explaining how an oem part can be used as a cheap upgrade the prices start to jump. RB25 turbos seem to be a lot more expensive now.

very cool thread, has got me fired up waiting for my car to arrive!

i bought an r31 gts-x with the 2.4 tomei kit fitted (rb26 crank and rods) and KKK K27 turbo, has all the support mods like aftermarket intake, GTR injectors, trust high mount manifold and wastegate, oil cooler, hks ecu, fmic etc etc.

thats about all the mods i know of, as soon as it gets here i'll be throwing it on the dyno to see what it makes and how responsive it is but thats about a month away. was actually thinking i'd remove 6 of the 12 injectors and chuck a wolf plugin or remapped stocky on when it gets here as the hks ecu will be tough to find tuners for and i'm pretty sure i'll be able to run it fine without the 6 extra injectors.

if like you guys say it costs over 6000 to do the build properly then seems i got a bargain (payed $5000 for the whole car) :)

R31 was where I started, to build a classic Targa Car, but then the R31 GT® like the hot model was ¥500,000 so we ended with the HCR32.

I have just done a deal on a crank... Have to go to South Korea later in the year, will go via Japan and get rest of bits. Just hope the AUD holds up...

Thanks for talking me into it Roy!

TT