SAU Community

Dragway In Wollongong

*Firstly a big sorry to Godzilla I forgot to activate my account so my pm may seem redundant*

Hi Guys & Gals.

I would have like to introduce myself and I hope the moderators can see where I'm getting at.

I've started a movement for a dragway in Wollongong http://www.facebook.com/dragwaywollongong. I would like to speak with the nsw moderator about organising a mega combined cruise with other car clubs to show how much people want this in Wollongong and to spread awareness of the matter.

As I said I don't mean to be spamming or anything so please moderator/s I would like to work with you particularly the NSW event organisers as I think this would be a fanastic idea to start with and can put a positive image to the public that although we have hi performance cars we want to do the responsible thing and I also want to make mention about every car club that endorses our cause publicly.

Thanks you Guys & Gals

NSW mod feel free to inbox me I would mega appreciate it :)

Look forward to everything

~WDW

I'll certain try my hardest to do whatever I can to make it happen, it may not but if people are not letting there voice be heard on it then it definately won't.

You're going to bulldoze the mountains?

Just drive 1.5 hours and use a top notch internationaly recognised track!

more power to you.

any extra room for motorsports is good in my books.

as pointed out, may not be room, but at least you are showing that you want to race legally.

keep up the work.

regards, luke.

talk about negativity!

there are plenty of places to put it around wollongong! maybe not directly in wollongong but close enough to!

NSW doesnt have enough facilities and im all for this! i mean ORAN park got scrapped to put shitty houses on the land!

dragwaywollongong im down to lend a hand if you need

Argue with this...

* Catalina Circuit lost

* St Ives Skidpan lost

* Amaroo Pk lost

* Liverpool Speedway lost

* Oran Pk lost

None Replaced except for Marulan (with its restrictions)

Where else can I drive my skateboard 'er car?

I'm lucky that I live only 5 minutes away from Eastern Creek. Feel sorry for anyone that has to drive for hours just to legally give their car a run.

I also think it's variety would be nice too. Ok, dragways probably not the best example for variety - it's a strip in a straight line, but for tracks/circuits, most definitely.

I've heard good things about Oran Park and that was gone before I could get to it. Eastern Creek has made some nice changes, Wakefield is a fairly short course with lots of right hand turns and fairly flat. Would be nice to start getting some things across the line as it could pave way for future developments.

I appreciate that people consider WSID as a option but realistically for the casual drag racer it's like 1.5 hours each way and even more if your south of Wollongong(not a good night if you have a early start in the morning on a Wednesday). Yes it's a fantastic site but look at Melbourne and the surrounding district it has 3 drag strips. As far as I'm aware NSW only has one proper one, I think with enough support something can happen and I have to believe this and am grateful for any like minded support.

I appreciate everyones thoughts good and bad. I would imagine alot of owners here that frequent WSID from W'gong would appreciate something local, obviously this appears to be a very huge obstatical but if the government want tourism and community involvement in Wollongong this is a very viable option.

Thanks once again.

I'm trying not to be negative, but an undetaking such as this needs one hell of a business case and i haven't seen one element of this post or your Facebook page that would even come close.

What have you put together so far in terms of:

Who will pay for it?

Where will it go?

How much will it cost?

What is the return on investment?

What's happened to the old John Lysaght site?

You mean Lysaghts where it still operates and isn't vacant?

To put one anywhere, you're going to need to be looking south, all of the areas that you could potentially put a drag strip are either already marked out for the freeway extension/detour around towns, or are already in planning stages for development of housing.

You may be well better off speaking with those in Nowra whom are already pushing for a drag strip (And I believe it has been before council down there also).

I can't think of any land around the Wollongong/Shellharbour region that would be level enough, and far enough from housing to allow a drag strip at all.

As Tats mentioned, you will need to build a good business case!

• 2 weeks later...

I've looked into this and the only bit of land where a track/ drag strip can be put is at yallah, between Dapto and Albion park, across the road from hungry jacks, it's privately owned and I recall someone from ray white Wollongong knowing who owned it( this was 3years back and it was mega buck to buy)