SAU Community

R33 S1 Gtst Problem Would Appreciate Any Help

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread by the way

To start off Ill speed this up long story short needed a new daily. Over bombs decided to look for one came across a clean r33 for a decent price and took it for a drive and really like it low kms log books

And you can probably guess I bought it

The only one thing I faulted it on while I test drove it was a small noise (ticking noise) on boost for a little but nothing to serious. But being on a test drive I didn't want to flog it too hard and break something blah blah. Plus I was on a public road etc

Noticed it was a bit laggy but nothing to bad. Besides this is my daily now. So I can spend more on my 32

So yeah bought the car. Still does get up and go but yeah here's my issue/s

Before I get into aswell I will mention its close to a dead stocker. Pretty sure it has a catback and I did notice a boost tee down the back end of the dash up near the pedals I was told the old owner was an old fella and everything seems on par. It's well looked after. Original mats in good condition

Now bar those 2 things. It's completely stock.

It's also auto please remember this to help determine the problem

Now. When I picked it up again I heard that noise the ticking on boost

But went away very quickly. Hadnt heard it again today

Then today dead cold start it was doing it while on any boost at all (I don't go and boost my cars cold) but in this case I want to sus it out

It went away reasonably quickly when the car warmed up more or less and hasn't done it all night once again

But we did drive up to spring wood. Tonight up near the blue mountains. And it's a cold night if your not familiar with sydney. And it's damn cold up there

I did give the car a fair bit up there then when I let the look out it made the same ticking for a while and was reasonably warm

But eventually went away

It does sound like a gasket leak but I've never heard or experience one that went away? Sounds more like its coming from the passengers side and you can hear it in cabin with the windows up

That's problem one

Problem 2. It has a little boost guage. When I really boot into it, it will drop back - few gears start revving hard. The boost guage shows 9 psi and the car sounds like shit

So being worried of engine noise I locked it in 2nd and gradually built up revs with no boost if you get me and the motor sounds healthy revs great etc

So I tried easing into boost in 2nd. And it runs great around the 6-7 psi mark and being busy with driving couldn't see if I got it to 9 that time but yeah surged a bit with the boost like pull then it would cut out then pull again

But driving it this way the car makes heaps more power and doesn't sound so uhhh dying pulsar like its very hard to explain. Not to mention as well when it drops back really hard it just revs no boost. For a while it says I'm cranking 9 pound once again but not moving

So yeah not sure what I'm looking for

I'm sure ill figure these problems out on my own in good time but figured IDE see if you guys could cut my time

Not to worried if the turbos on its way out I can just give it a hand me down off my 32

But any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

Problem 2. It has a little boost guage. When I really boot into it, it will drop back - few gears start revving hard. The boost guage shows 9 psi and the car sounds like shit

If it's detonating that's the worse thing for your car ever. Other then that take it to a reputable mechanic to suss the problems - as it sounds more then just a boost leak

Never buy a car without a mechanical inspection no matter what

Edited by discoPumpkin

Also got a ticking noise in my rb20det.. I thought it was the tappets until I stuck my head in there.

Sounds like it's either an exhaust leak or something under my cam cover..

When you slightly accelerate it gets faster and sounds (to me) that as you get faster its like swinging a rope around really fast and you get that whistle of air as it swings around...

I really didn't explain that very well :/

Unlikely to be detonation. I know "ticking noise" screams detonation to everyone....but it's only on 9 psi. Unless the ignition base timing has been wound up a lot, it shouldn't detonate.

I would also suggest a leaky turbo or manifold gasket. It's probably lost at least one exhaust manifold stud. Get a torch and go have a look for missing nuts/studs.

The shitfull running is probably because R33s stand a good chance of going into R&R by the time the boost is up to 9 psi. Bypass the boost T and see what the boost comes back down to, and if it runs better.

Also on reference to the car sounding like shit. Try imagine a swift gti or something little at very high rpm where power drops off

Like that or maybe it doesn't sound like me 32 screaming off its head with the sweet sound of rb

I don't hear any pinging. And I think I've heard detonation before so I'm pretty sure it's not that either.

It sound very very similar to a exhaust gasket leak but it goes away when it's warm/hot basically I will get some time this week to have a good look into it check studs etc

Lower the boost.

Fresh oil.

You're likely to find it's a lazy lifter not pumping up making it tick.

Power cutting in/out is likely something like R&R or exceeding the AFM voltage etc, or the coil packs are dieing and it's miss firing.

If it's detonating that's the worse thing for your car ever. Other then that take it to a reputable mechanic to suss the problems - as it sounds more then just a boost leak

Never buy a car without a mechanical inspection no matter what

Doesn't sound like detonation at all.

And you don't need a mechanical inspection if you know what you're looking at.

Lower the boost.

Fresh oil.

joking or? He's running 9PSI and to lower it to 5 what would that achieve apart from masking the issue and loosing power

And you don't need a mechanical inspection if you know what you're looking at.

I'm not a mechanic and I think I know what i'm looking at, however if I brought a car without a second opinion or full mechanical inspection, then I bloody well deserve the thing to blow up on me next week!

But it's lucky your a mechanic as u can inspect the vehicle yourself..

joking or? He's running 9PSI and to lower it to 5 what would that achieve apart from masking the issue and loosing power

9 pound on a stock ecu series 1 r33 can cause it to go R&R stock is 7 above about 4000 rpm. With a small boost leak it can cause it to R&R and going by what he is saying. Sounds bad and goes nowhere it seems like this is the case. Aslo he will make more power with the lower boost as the ecu will actually run some decent timing as aposed to more boost where it will just pull it all and feel like a piece of play dough.

Aslo he will make more power with the lower boost as the ecu will actually run some decent timing as aposed to more boost where it will just pull it all and feel like a piece of play dough.

U did wot mate? get more power by running less boost then 9psi, now I've heard it all, leaving the thread

ps fix the boost leak instead of lowering the boost to compensate 4 the leak ffs

Oh my god will u just turbo youre NA GTS already, afterall this is the forced performance subsection where people with turbos should only be giving valued advice and opinions, rather than a kid on his learners trolling

Theres an NA thread tho, u would be really helpful in that section, take care

Edited by discoPumpkin

You say the ticking noise went away once the car warmed up, I think that would suggest noisey lifters, detonation would get worse with temperature and with hard driving. The auto would have higher gear ratio's and possibly bring on the R&R earlier than a manual? GTSboy might confirm this?

Oh my god will u just turbo youre NA GTS already, afterall this is the forced performance subsection where people with turbos should only be giving valued advice and opinions, rather than a kid on his learners trolling

Theres an NA thread tho, u would be really helpful in that section, take care

no disrespect here, but GTSboy knows what he's on about !! If you don't know what your talking about you need to pull your head in and not look like a goose

:yes:

Edited by AngryRBGTX

You say the ticking noise went away once the car warmed up, I think that would suggest noisey lifters, detonation would get worse with temperature and with hard driving. The auto would have higher gear ratio's and possibly bring on the R&R earlier than a manual? GTSboy might confirm this?

Auto ratios are same same in R33 (4.08 vs 4.11) so it's not that. The noisy lifter idea is the other likely one.

Stupid pumpkin doesn't even know that other manufacturers made cars with the GTS appellation. Some of them were very large V8s. Like my Monaro. My 1971 Monaro. That I owned in the 80s.

Little boy should shut up, shouldn't he?

U did wot mate? get more power by running less boost then 9psi, now I've heard it all, leaving the thread

ps fix the boost leak instead of lowering the boost to compensate 4 the leak ffs

You obviously have no idea about how an engine works. You cram more boost into an engine but if your timing retarded as R&R makes it, you will make no power.

Come back here when you actually have some input into this thread.

Also back to the point you made about it being a bit laggy. I had a problem once where the stock waste gate actuator was not preloaded enough making it open slightly when not on boost. Made a ticking noise similar to what you were describing. Had me stumped for ages, changed all the gaskets around the turbo and still the ticking noise. Finally checked the actuator, noticed it wasn't preloaded properly, took it off, bent it a little and bam fixed my lag and that mysterious ticking noise :blink: .