SAU Community

Idicators Not Working [R34 Gtt]

Eps

R34 GTT 1998

My indicators have just stopped working as I got to work today. Hazzard lights dont work either. However my alarm works just fine and unlocking/locking the car with the alarm lights them up.

Depressing the hazzard lights button I hear the relay click once under the steering wheel.

When the alarm ticks the indicators, it seems that it is slightly faster than usual... not a broken indicator though - Maybe it bypasses the relay? - i dont know...

I can't find the fuse for the indicators, but the fact the alarm runs them fine makes me think this is not an issue, unless the alarm bypasses the fuse and relay.

Any tips?

Thanks

I just removed the NILES IF332 OEM flasher relay and when I opened it it had burn spots on the plastic. It looks like a piece of metal broke off and shorted...

I placed a Tridon EP35 in to replace but it made no difference yet.

The relay still works though. I will check fuses as that seems likely.

Fuses are all good. Funnily enough, I armed the alarm, hit the hazzard button and the indicators came on and went off and now cease to function when the alarm is armed... but all fuses are still okay... wtf???!! Someone somewhere said something about an indicator controller... where/what is it?

hey mate sorry to sidetrack you but do you mind telling me where to get to the flasher relays? pic of the location would be great if possible.

I want to put in some LEDs for my rear indicators and i know that without a relay they will flash really fast - so i bought a relay switch thingy which will increase resistance, it's a plug type thing so no soldering necessary. any help would be much appreciated, sounds like you know where things go!

Pop your head up under the drivers footwell and you shouldn't see a whole lot... grab a light and look for a black relay on the door side of the steering column. To help you can flick on your indicators and you will hear and feel it clicking. Unplug it to confirm that its the correct one. :-)

If you feel inclined you may be able to replace rhe guts of your old relay. This way you can keep the mount point and nice neat connector.

I am interested to see how you go. :-)

Thanks mad. I did replace the head unit a few months ago. Could be likely.

I figured it could be a loose connection but the fact it still controls the relay made me look past it. Ill check on the weekend :-).

Has anyone got a wiring diagram inclusive of indicators? Ive seen a few but not one that details indicators.

• 3 weeks later...

Today I had another detailed look under the dash. I found a small fuse box going to the alarm with 2 fuses. a 5 amp fuse was blown. Replaced it with another 5 amp. It blew when alarm lit the indicators for 1/2 a second. Put in a 10 amp fuse now and the indicators work with the alarm!

The indicators still do not work with the stalk or hazard switch. I pulled out the hazard switch and connected it without the air vents. It makes a singular tick on the relay when depressed so it seems it still works. Still no indicators.

I removed the black box mounted in front of the flasher relay and check inside. All seemed okay. Just a smaller black box. No burns or smells.

What is in the brown relay thing?

I'm starting to think maybe the alarm is causing the issue...

:domokun::domokun::domokun::domokun:

Tested the new replacement relay. It does not work.

Tested old relay. working but low voltage. Cleaned connectors and bent copper to make better contact.

Working.

TLDR; Relay was partially faulty, so was new relay.

I can drive my car again! After putting back together the entire dash hahaha! I'm just happy I know what it is now.

• 2 years later...

I have pretty much exactly the same problem with my R34 GTR! Indicators and hazards do not work (no lights, no sound from flasher unit) but DOES work when I arm/dissarm my alarm system... hazard light is fully plugged in, fuse for indicators & hazard lights are fine.

I recently cut off some wires that go to the standard Japanese Sat Nav (as it is was unplugged) but after looking at it closer I noticed that the the hazard lights has 8 wires:

• 3 to main wiring loom
  • 3 to a Sat Nav connector
  • 2 to the head deck wiring

So im wondering why would there would be connections from hazards to sat nav/head deck??

Cheers for any info/help guys!

I have pretty much exactly the same problem with my R34 GTR! Indicators and hazards do not work (no lights, no sound from flasher unit) but DOES work when I arm/dissarm my alarm system... hazard light is fully plugged in, fuse for indicators & hazard lights are fine.

I recently cut off some wires that go to the standard Japanese Sat Nav (as it is was unplugged) but after looking at it closer I noticed that the the hazard lights has 8 wires:

• 3 to main wiring loom
  • 3 to a Sat Nav connector
  • 2 to the head deck wiring

So im wondering why would there would be connections from hazards to sat nav/head deck??

Cheers for any info/help guys!

This was in my GTT. I haven't checked out the wires going into the MFD (if that's what you're referring to) on my GTR.

Who knows. But if you cut it and then it doesn't work.......

This ^ If it stopped working exactly as you did this, check the pin out diagrams.

MFD Info: http://www.sau.com.au/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=166053 (from here: )

My alarm basically bypassed the standard relay and fuses for indicators. So that can mislead you.

Maybe check related fuses and then get a relay tester or another relay to test with.

Edited by Eps

But this is what trips me out...

1. My Sat Nav & Head Unit were both already unplugged (so essentially the wires and pins arent touching or connected to anything right??)
  2. Why would there be wires going from Hazard lights to Sat Nav & Head Unit connections? Shouldnt they just go straight to the wiring loom?

Oh and Eps - No wires are MFD related.

Cheers,

But this is what trips me out...

1. My Sat Nav & Head Unit were both already unplugged (so essentially the wires and pins arent touching or connected to anything right??)
  2. Why would there be wires going from Hazard lights to Sat Nav & Head Unit connections? Shouldnt they just go straight to the wiring loom?

Oh and Eps - No wires are MFD related.

Cheers,

Ah gotcha. Sorry, don't know anything about the Sat Nav units you describe. Didn't know they existed!

Check fuses in case one blew when you cut the wires. You might need to multimeter the wires you cut if it is still an elusive problem. I can't seem to find much on the wiring for the sat nav.

Check for voltage at relay and fuses and work your way back.