SAU Community

Ethernet Over Power

iseekool

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anybody has tried ethernet over power, the type that runs ethernet over 240v power points around the home (I'm not talking about Power over Ethernet - PoE - just to clear any confusion ;) ) as an alternative to WiFi. Reason being is I'm on a budget and cannot justify getting an elec or cabler out to install LAN points.

I'm thinking to run WiFi only, but ethernet over power has caught my eye as an alternative for more intensive data transfers and gaming.

I'm about to move into my place, regular sized single story, 3 bedroom house built in the 1970s - I'm going with the assumption the electrical wiring is still orignal (with the exception of the smart meter and central safety switch). My network setup is fairly basic.

- Home theater PC in the lounge

- Router/switch/Wifi AP in the hallway, which is roughly in the center of the house

- Housemate is a web developer using a PC

- Synology NAS to be placed in a cupboard or in the study

- PC in my bedroom

- Laptops/Tablets for roaming about the place

Looking forward to hear about your opinions.

Cheers

I had EoP a while ago running to a router that went to my PS3, TV and T-box. Worked alright but every so often would drop out/fail and sometimes took a while to get it going again.

I then went with a Wifi Extender, running this to recieve the Wifi from the main router then instead of extending the Wifi, just ran wired connections to the extender. This worked better but did fault on the odd occasion. Much better then the EoP I had. It might have just been poor quality or an issue with the house wiring (although the hose was only 8 years old or so)

I reccomend just getting a good quality Wifi router. I spent $300 on a Netgear router in the new house and so far it has been faultless. Super fast as well, running Foxtel on T-Box (this is internet based) through Wifi without issues even though telstra reccomends a wired connection. Can even download movies etc on my laptop while the Foxtel is running and neither drop out or seem to have any speed issues

yep i run it. most of them take up one of the power points and you cant use it for anything else. the netcomm NP504 model is a passthrough model, so you dont have to sacrifice a power point ( if your like me and are a bit short of power points).

http://www.megabuy.com.au/netcomm-netcomm-np504-powerline-500mbps-with-ac-p307966.html

piss easy to set up and i had no problems. you wont have much problem with overloading the system power wise. as i have these connected thought the ONE adapter

1x UPS
2x PC's
3x monitors
1x PS3
1x printer

speed wise, through my house ( built in the late 70's early 80's) its like running it straight from the router itself. i see no speed drop or packet loss, no lag. using download accelerators and i'm picking up 1.6MB/sec ( fast for our area)

EDIT: might want to avoid TP link. my co-worker has the TP link version of these and his keeps on dropping out and he is having alot of problems with it...

Edited by liger

What area are you?

I install data points for people as an electrician, could a cheap deal for maybe, cabled lines is better than eop or wifi