SAU Community

High Mount Turbo

tohmez

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new turbo, and I'd like it to be a high mount, what parts are required for move? And does anything have to be relocated in the r34 engine bay?

If you are asking that sort of question my advice is dont do it... Knowledge is the key with this level of modification unless you have a big bank account, in which case you just go give the car to a shop and hand over 10-15K and they will sort it out for you!

^ really? I thought it was quite easy and not necessarily expensive at all.

Depends if you do it properly or half assed, depends if you buy decent gear or ebay spec garbage... Its a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" type question given there is no info to go off

Haha I actually thought it wasn't a very expensive task, I'll just stick with the low mount, could someone recommend and decent turbo for 330hp, car currently makes 280hp already have upgraded intercooler, splitfire coilpacks and larger fuel pump but still standard ecu

Haha I actually thought it wasn't a very expensive task, I'll just stick with the low mount, could someone recommend and decent turbo for 330hp, car currently makes 280hp already have upgraded intercooler, splitfire coilpacks and larger fuel pump but still standard ecu

High flowed factory R34 turbo.

You mean the factory turbo? What about something a bit newer like a xr6t turbo?

You won't need to. Highflowing the factory turbo will yield a lot more performance and it's fairly straight forward to remove the turbo and bolt it back in.

With other turbos, you'll have to worry about piping, fitment etc.

You won't need to. Highflowing the factory turbo will yield a lot more performance and it's fairly straight forward to remove the turbo and bolt it back in.

With other turbos, you'll have to worry about piping, fitment etc.

Yep, depending on which XR6 turbo you will be going too big anyway and will need all the supporting ECU and fuel mods, custom pipework etc.... They are just a 30r or 35r anyway i think from memory!

34gtt what path did you go down since we own the same car :)

The car was high flow low mount when i got it, was quite dissapointing really.... Was laggy and not making the power to make the car exciting, as for the rest of the path... Click the link in my sig and siphon through 60 pages of dribble to see what happened next lol

The car was high flow low mount when i got it, was quite dissapointing really.... Was laggy and not making the power to make the car exciting, as for the rest of the path... Click the link in my sig and siphon through 60 pages of dribble to see what happened next lol

Haha rightio just looking for a simple set up cause I eventually wanna skid this car every now and again.

Hyper gear ss1pu, Fuel pump, injectors, full exhaust, FMIC, coil packs and a decent ECU. If your engine is in good nick it will make 375 - 400hp all day every day on those mods...Mine does.

Edited by RandomHero83

Haha rightio just looking for a simple set up cause I eventually wanna skid this car every now and again.

#@Smity42 's car has a S1 RB25 with a high flow 34 turbo and pulls 240ish rwkw... Response machine that just moves!

Hyper gear ss1pu, Fuel pump, injectors, full exhaust, FMIC, coil packs and a decent ECU. If your engine is in good nick it will make 375 - 400hp all day every day on those mods...Mine does.

Cheers random hero, already got half that stuff :)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys

Sorry to hi jack this but Im about to change my turbo to a GTX3076R. Going to be running an external gate which means I have to change my exhaust manifold.

Everyone seems to sell high mount manifolds, can get one for around $500 that run external gates but no one seems to sell low mount manifolds that run external gates. So I can either change the set up to high mount or pay $1000 to get a low mount manifold made up that will run external gate.

So what im trying to work out is whats going to be cheaper, changing all the piping to high mount or just paying for a custom made low mount manifold?

Cheers Brody

Hi guys

Sorry to hi jack this but Im about to change my turbo to a GTX3076R. Going to be running an external gate which means I have to change my exhaust manifold.

Everyone seems to sell high mount manifolds, can get one for around $500 that run external gates but no one seems to sell low mount manifolds that run external gates. So I can either change the set up to high mount or pay $1000 to get a low mount manifold made up that will run external gate.

So what im trying to work out is whats going to be cheaper, changing all the piping to high mount or just paying for a custom made low mount manifold?

Cheers Brody

You will have to change a bit of your piping even if you low mount. I have a mate selling a manifold that is low mount for a rb25 with 3076. Want me to find out how much he wants?