SAU Community

Help Plz R33 Gts-T Chewing Oil

Hi all,

Hope you can help.

I have an R33 series 2 GTS-T that is chewing through oil, like over 5L in the last 2000km. I use Valvoline full syn, the cars always run rich but never used oil like this.

There's no leaks under the car, the only oil I can find in the engine bay is around the rocker cover.

The car unfortunately sat in my driveway for 3 years and didn't do much, so I'm guessing seals somewhere but just don't know where a good place to start looking would be.

Had a few upgrades though, high flowed turbo, front mount, BOV, exhaust etc

Thanks so much

Marni :)post-47515-0-77367700-1378716441_thumb.jpg

I'm guessing it's blowing a lot of smoke?

Yep, it its not on the floor, its probably gone out the exhaust. Burnt oil smoke is a bluey/whitety colour.

When mad says check coolant, you're looking to see if it has oil in it.

It's always run a bit smokey when giving it a bit of a hit, but its black not blue or white.

Someone was telling me about some kinda oil flush stuff to put through it, I've always run 98 octane but I'm thinking there must be a bit of carbon built up through the pipes.

The turbo spools up fine, it never overheats has always run cool, doesn't use coolant really.

If the piston rings are gone can that lead to any engine damage?

I had same issue... First thing I did, check coolant and oil for mixture (if that's the case usually means cylinder head gasket)... If that's not the issue monitor the exhaust to find out exactly when it blows smoke (eg. Cold starts, cruising down a hill, or on hard acceleration).

Once you've done that you could probably post your results and we'll help ya some more ;)

PS: from what I've heard if its your piston rings the thing just blows white smoke constantly and unbearably... I blew the rear seal on my turbo and everything was running fine - it would just burn oil in the mornings!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi guys recently got a r33 gtst has some mods bigger turbo bov cat back exhaust boost controller turbo timer etc, when I got it it blew smoke but only when the turbo comes on boost, other then that when idling is fine but runs rough, I've researched a lot about it and ive taken my intake all off this morning and there's oil every where through it, and I mean everywhere intercooler all the piping etc, so I'm cleaning all that out and have a me manic coming to do a comp test today but there's no oil and where but on the turbo and in the piping, could a blown turbo seal be the cause of this or is it something major? I've read the pcv valve and also the valve stem seals could be the cause but why is there oil in my intake? Any opinions/ advice would be much appreciated

I also checked the radiator there's no oil in there, there's no sludge under the oil cap or a milky colour, the smoke it popes out on boost is white and can smell the oil burning. I've been told it's running 14 psi aince the new turbo was fitted that seems a bit high for not even a year old turbo

Haven't you already started a thread?

Anyway, this time you mentioned bov, which I assume is an atmosphere one. Other thread you mentioned 'lumpy cam idle' which can be caused by the bov being partly open at idle and drawing in unmetered air.

Regardless, put stock bov back on.

Your oil everywhere could be due to turbo seals, or excessive blowby due to piston ring wear. If the oil is in the inlet to the turbo it is blowby, if only in the turbo outlet it's the turbo seal.

Valve stem seals don't get oil into the inlet pipework.

You could try adding a catch can, but I wouldn't expect a miracle.

Edited by superben

And I don't have the stock bov, and I haven't had a chance to pull the rest of the pipework off just intercooler and pipe work to the turbo, and yea it doesn't sound excactlt like a lumpy cam but I know it doesn't sound how it's suppose too, also the bov seems to have oil coming out of it and there's a bit of oil over the engine as though it sprays everywhere from the bov?

Get a stock bov on there ASAP.

But that's probably the least of your concerns of its spraying that much oil

Lol - I broke a ring land and now my car sounds like a lumpy 1000hp beast and sprays oil all over my engine bay...

Okay guys I've cleaned out the intake of all the oil and I've disconnected the HKS bov, smoke has thinned right out to a shuttle black puff after you rev it but no white smoke, seems to be a rattle near the turbo but the idle is better and smoke is gone. Any thoughts ?

Okay guys I've cleaned out the intake of all the oil and I've disconnected the HKS bov, smoke has thinned right out to a shuttle black puff after you rev it but no white smoke, seems to be a rattle near the turbo but the idle is better and smoke is gone. Any thoughts ?

Not surprising it idles better without the atmo bov.

Best option is to get a stock bov and use that,isn't that obvious? ;)

Did you do the comp test?

Rattle near turbo could be loose heat shield.

Oh . I will stop guessing what your issues are.

If you want to give us half a chance at helping you post some pics of engine bay.

Why would a custom pod mean you don't have a heat shield on your turbo or manifold?

Yes, ffs, fit the stock bov. It will mean it won't make annoying hectic noises, or make your car idle like shit, or spray oil all over engine bay due to massive blowby issues you seem to have, and you won't get a defect.

I haven't suggested it to you numerous times because it is pointless and won't help.