SAU Community

M35 Cracked Rear Subframe.

matt_gumpym35

Is cracking of the rear subfram a common problem for our cars? Just changed the drivers side rear wheel and noticed a massive crack, just above the driveshaft. Same on the passenger side.

Has anyone had this issue, if so, how much to replace the subframe??

Trying to get a hold of the previous owner but no luck. Will be contacting the RWC workshop asap.

Not fussed about price, the car was issued a rwc wen it clearly wasnt roadworthy. Previous owner had no idea either.

Small things werent done, cv boot and globes, was willing to let it slide because theyre easy fixes but after seeing the subframe this arvo im not even sure the workshop looked at the car.

Front pads are cactus, discs are glazed, front right cv boot is completely torn, number plate globes werent replaced AAAND the subframe is cracked.

Where do i go next? I want this all fixed, not by the workshop that issues the rwc and i dont want to pay a cent for the repairs..

Santa Claus by the sound of that. Your dreaming if you think a workshop is going to pay to do that for you.

Two options.

Weld it. The whole thing is welded together anyway.

Or

Buy one, second hand or new. Try 55400-AQ500. Sit down for the price.

It wasnt noticed. I only saw it because i had a flat in the rear. To the wheel off and its the first thing i saw.. spent all morning on the phone, just gonna swallow this bitter as f**k pill and fix it myself.

Not letting the rwc workshop touch my car again.

Trust me i spent the whole morning ringing vicroads, vacc, consumer affairs even the dodgey prick that issued the rwc. Its a shit storm waiting to happen and i really cbf dealing with it.

Its not the end of the world, swap the subframe, fix a few stupid issues get another roady bang, problem solved.

Shit happens, assholes cause it!!

But you must bring the assholes down like a bag of $hit! I wouldn't let the shop that issued the rwc get away with it. I love conflict and causing it. Bring the phucker down I say!

Oh back on to topic, get a replacement frame from Scott, I think he's swapped out quite a few so he'll be able to offer you tips and tricks too.

Its much easier said than done, if the last few years has taught me anything its that karma does catch up with you lol.. hopefuly he stubs his toe real bad!!

I love conflict to but its my car and i want it on the road asap, dealing with it like many have said isnt gonna achieve that.

Yep got onto the m35 bible with legs (scott), with any luck its sorted soon.

whats wrong with welding the cracks if its don't properly? The rest of the subframe has welds all over it!!!

I think i've had this agument before.........

+1. A quality weld job will be as good as a new one.

Any pictures of the cracks?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• That's good to hear I'll stick with the stock I hear they are good for 500hp and I'm only shooting for 350-400 once I can get this thing sorted and get to actually building it. 
    • The stock one will outperform any aftermarket standard position exhaust manifold. If you don't believe me, do a back to back test (same turbo, same boost, same timing) and you'll be super surprised.
    • Any recommendations on a decent replacement manifold that doesnt break the bank or require additional mods for the stock turbo setup? I figure if I'm going to pull the manifold off anyway to fix the studs might as well replace it. 
    • So I checked the turbo out today. Very minimum play at all just enough for the oil to take up when it's running. I did find an exhaust leak at the manifold. 1 stud all the way in the front is missing and the one all the way in the back is broken off. Front has visible signs of an exhaust leak. I'll fix that soon but that's not my problem still.  I also found that the nipple coming off the turbo had the hose capped off and a hose ran from the j-pipe by the bov going to the wastegate. I removed that hose and capped that nipple and put the turbo nipple hose back on the wastegate.  There was a ton of oil residue all through the charge side of the intercooler piping going to the throttle bodg. I'm thinking that's from the pcv. Doesn't seem to be coming from the turbo that was all clean on the pipes side.  Haven't had a chance to check fuel pressure yet, haven't had time been having to pull a lot of doubles at work. I did pick up some carb cleaner to clean the iacv but wanted to make sure I had a fresh gasket in case the old one rips when I pull it off.  I'm waiting on a MAF that was supposed to be here today but delayed to Monday. Have a double Monday and Friday and work all of next weekend so going to try to find some time in the middle of the week to try that out. Did about a 10m trip around the block today and towards the end the issues were coming back. Fingers crossed on this MAF but if not just going to throw a fuel pressure gauge in and see where I'm at.  Did notice today that I can definitely hear the injectors pulsing. Very audible clicking coming from them. Assuming that's normal? Should also mean CAS is functioning somewhat properly. After it warmed up when I started it the intermittent misfires came in again. Did start doing that before it was fully warmed up. 
    • This morning I carefully reinstalled the manifold and started looking at a couple of things I need to do.  Heat wrap arrived sometime today so I popped into the shed with the missus dishwashing gloves and started wrapping the first half of the dump and the screamer/plumb back.  Once I do the second half I'll be able to final fit the turbo and exhaust up.  Also pulled the harness out today and started terminating it at the ECU end. A connector is done, just need to run the remaining wires that arent in the harness - 12v, gnd and couple I/O