SAU Community

Stock Turbo Exh Housing Thread Size

mrsr32

yeah stainless is a no go. they look good but you have to be careful where you use them.

I had a mate who used them to attach the steering wheel on his go kart and the 3 of them sheered off from a bit of paint trading, scary stuff

they're strong but they have no give in them, they just break clean off

Edited by Blackkers

yeah stainless is a no go. they look good but you have to be careful where you use them.

I had a mate who used them to attach the steering wheel on his go kart and the 3 of them sheered off from a bit of paint trading, scary stuff

they're strong but they have no give in them, they just break clean off

So do hardened steel bolts.

Stainless is usually fine in high temp situations, as long as the thread is large enough to handle the load, and you use zinc based anti-seize during assembly. I always use stainless studs and copper coated nuts on Stagea dump pipes, but they are M10.

That said, most rear chra housing bolts are hardened mild steel, probably as they handle turbine explosions better.

So do hardened steel bolts.

Stainless is usually fine in high temp situations, as long as the thread is large enough to handle the load, and you use zinc based anti-seize during assembly. I always use stainless studs and copper coated nuts on Stagea dump pipes, but they are M10.

That said, most rear chra housing bolts are hardened mild steel, probably as they handle turbine explosions better.

What about Nickel based anti-seize, I was going to buy a tin of that when I do my exhaust and turbo studs as it seem to be suited to high temp applications?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261257820641?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Edited by Missileman