SAU Community

90 Gtr In Japan

slowridn73

Hello,

Just bought my 90 GTR this month and wanted to get into the forums right away so I can start soaking up some information.

I own a 93 RX7 R1 with a 6.6L V8 with direct port NO2 and a 2004 STi with about 10K in suspension.

When I moved to japan last may I immediately began looking for a GTR as I have always admired them and wanted to experience it, so I ended up locating a 2002 GTR Mspec NUR in millineum jade at an exporter near yokohama and worked out a price. After transfering the full payment I was told that the car was being sold to another customer in NZ even though I had already paid. This started a very heated battle in which I was told by the governing organization for car exporters in japan that the dealer was clearly in breach of the organizations guidelines but they would take no action against the dealer. I later found out that if I had been japanese it would have been a huge deal but since I am american they could care less.

I was extremely put off by this and almost decided to not buy a car at all, until a red GTR came up for sale on base. At 136000k it was almost perfect for what I look for in a car. The only modifications were an intake and exhaust, everything worked with the exception of the interior clock and it was nearly rust free through the entire body and frame.

My plans for the car are to clean and restore the engine bay to stock appearence, upgrade to GM LS truck coils and N1 turbos looking to make 350hp with some nismo supporting mods (I want to build it using mostly manufacturer parts), replace every suspension bushing I can with poly bushings and tighten up the motor and tranny with stiffer mountings to reduce play in the shifter, and finally refresh the paint and body panels (the paint is a bright red respray).

I am looking forward to getting to work and hopefully I can contribute something to forum as well as learn from your experience.

Aaron

The gm truck coils are much better than the stock units, I am willing to make minor sacrifices in brand loyalty for the gain of reliability and performance (although I will be trying to hide to coils and wires as best as I can).

Here is a picture, unsure of the paint code or manufacturer, wheels are volk gtc. post-132840-13928227815511_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

welcome.

as already stated, gm truck coils?

not necessary at 350hp.

ive got 20yr old stock coils igniting 600rwhp.

so, they are obviously more then capable.

dont replace them until your spark runs out.

if pursuing 350hp, the standard turbos should be very close to that.

ive have heard of more, but you may not want to push it.

if aiming higher, then look at turbo replacement.

theres alot of info on this forum, and im sure you'll waste hours reading.

good luck with all your mods, and keep is updated.