SAU Community

Front Wheel Lock On Turning

Hi all. good to be back on here.

In the last year I have been having a problem with my front left and sometimes right wheel.

If i go into a sweeping corner at a decent speed or just going through Mount Lofty quickly my front left wheel is locking up which is terrifying!

It is not understeer as I have done countless laps on Mallallalallalala in a VE and understand understeer.

This usually happens when i either or start to brake. This is not an issue known to these cars so there is something going on.

The wheel feels like it brakes, then lets go and if i continue the corner will brake again and release. Generally the "Slip" light will flash on as it is happening.

My friends V has done the same thing sometimes but under harder cornering than when it happens to me.

I have nice lowered suspension on brand new springs and shockers. I have after market anti sway bars. And my wheel alignment has just been nailed with a brand new tyre change.

I have done a bit of research but cannot find anyone who has had this problem. Its very hard to describe.

Possibly loose brake pads, caliper is out of allignment, ABS or traction control electronic issue.

If anyone has any insight it would be fantastic as it completely kills driving my car.

Thanks!

I had the exact same thing - I am willing to bet it is your lower control arm bushes. It feels like the car try to ABS pull you OUT from the corner when you are turning in, right? I replaced mine and it completely went away. If yours look like the pic below then that is your issue.

If you can be stuffed changing all of the your front bushes grab this. You will need a hydraulic or C-clamp press (which is what I used for mine) http://www.conceptzperformance.com/Cart/description.php?II=5967&Car_Type=G35&UID=20140225215338219.90.234.225

I just grabbed the pair I need and did the 2 at the time.

Otherwise it would be your springs/coilovers being too stiff and making the traction control come on as your inside wheel is digging in and turning at a much slower rate than your outside wheel.

But tyre grip/quality, and surface grip/quality will have a big bearing on it too.

Best bet it before a spirited hills run is to hold the VDC button for 15 seconds to turn off almost all of the VDC/traction control stuff. This works on my car, but apparently does not work on all. See if it still does it then to rule out anything electronic. But if your lower control arm bushes are shot it will still VDC you mid-corner no matter what.

post-669-0-00779100-1393390807_thumb.jpg

Oh wow, could be that simple.

I am getting it serviced at Sinergy on Monday and hopefully they can change those bits.

I have the g35 eibach pro springs. So shouldn't be them, was happening before that anyway.

I have 275 on the rears and they were 600 new the tyres. Good quality Khumos.

Does that kit you linked too, do both sides?

Thankyou heaps for that.

Hopefully it is that simple, because it is an horrendous with the lofty ravenes 1 metre to your left and your car not turning!

Yeah I am pretty sure that kit does ALL of the front control bushes (upper and lower).

But you do NOT want to pay Synergy to install them - you would be looking over $1k in labour easy - it is a BIG job. Your best bet would be to do what I did and pull out the lower and upper control arms, then either hacksaw/C-clamp press out all of the bushes, or take the whole lot to a mechanic and get them to press out the old ones and press in the new ones.

While you are there you would DEFINITELY want to replace your lower ball joints, and mine went not long after I did the bushes and I had to mess with it again (you need x 2).

http://www.conceptzperformance.com/Cart/description.php?II=12275&Car_Type=G35&UID=20140225231523219.90.234.225

Here is a link to just lower control arm bushes if you don't want to do the whole thing (you need a pair obviously):

http://www.conceptzperformance.com/Cart/description.php?II=11376&Car_Type=G35&UID=20140225231523219.90.234.225

I'm not game enough to do it myself..Id rather pay a professional to do it.

If i just get them to change the lower control arm bushings either side and the lower ball joint then hopefully that fixes the issue.

It is actually the worst feeling! Even happens when i change lanes really quick, or going around an intersection.

Not likely to be wheel weight.

I would say worn or failed suspension components, causing the car to not corner as well as it should and the VDC system is detecting this as 'slip', or the ST angle adjustment for the VDC system is out.

Had all new bushes done today. Problem still exists.Went for a drive in the hills and it is definitely under braking. The brake pedal modulates in and out as the wheel is turned. Feels as though ABS is activating. The slip light also comes on..

Really bad this time around.

Maybe a bad ABS module or unit or perhaps a traction control issue. Saw an article about tyre size...http://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/197329-the-top-100-common-questions-3.html?postcount=45#post4936171

I have 245/35/19 on the front and 275/35/19 on the rear. I have my old set of tyres still, so i might try and whack them back on and still see if the issue exists.

Sonicii...what is the best way to go about checking for the ST angle option?

Are you positive that they changed the lower control arm bushes? You want the ones in the pic I posted earlier changed - the ones that connect the lower control arms to the car. How much did it cost you and how long did they take to do your work?

Sonicii...what is the best way to go about checking for the ST angle option?

you will need consult or any datascan device that can read the steering angle output. It should read zero when the steering wheel is in the 'straight ahead' position.

If it doesn't, the VDC will think you are trying to turn more or less than you actually are and then try to correct your path to what it 'thinks' you are trying to do.

Consult, or some aftermarket datascan devices will let you calibrate this item if required.

Surely a mechanic will know that... maybe ask Eric the car guy on you tube he probably know more than our overpriced mechanics who wont spend enough time on our problem as they make more money charging hundreds for a 20min oil change..

Yeah they changed the lower control arm bushes. 260 for both sides fitted. I'm taking it to Pedders tomorrow to get a 28 buck safety check, I'm getting desperate. Sonicii....where do you get that done?

Who is Eric?

Put the stock wheels on and see if the problem goes away. It is most probably wheel speed sensor related, might be worth changing them over from a known good set just to fault find if the stock wheels don't fix it.

mine did this a lot when i got new tyres i beleive its maybe the rolling diameter issue?? i had 245/35/19 fronts and 285/35/19 rears

not im running 255/35/19 fronts and 285/35/19 rears

it does not do it as often anymore but i also changed my diff bushes so maybe that had an effect also

Yeah that article i posted was saying people had an issue with that. The tyre combination i have they say is one that keeps the vdc/tcs happy. I have my old set of wheels still around but i recall it doing them as well. But they never did it before my front left wheel fell off while driving!

The thing is, when it does it, the brake pedal modulates underneath my foot as if the brakes are actually being applied. That isn't normal when turning a corner. I should be able to lose the back end first rather then the front wheels lock up.

But they never did it before my front left wheel fell off while driving!

Might have something to do with it... :rolleyes:

I would say the wheel speed sensor or teeth are damaged. Have you had a close look at the teeth?