SAU Community

Oil Pump Rpm Limit?

nicksamaniac

Hi all, just wondering how fast everyone has spun there Engines with a stock -unmodified rb30 bottom end?

I read all these threads on failed pump gears, but they're usually related to drift or limiter bashing,

And about how the gears fail.

I'm using an r31 block, I've had the pump apart to inspect the gears, and they are made from steel, not like the ones I've read about being a sintered type material.

It also has a reasonable amount of engagement on the crank, could be better but is about 7mm.

Just really want to know how high can I set my rev limit during tuning,

It doesn't need to be massive, I'd be happy with a limit of 5500-6000.

As it will be tuned for massive low end torque, but would be cool if I Could rev it to 7000 if needed.

you'll be fine mate, I just pulled my stock rb30 bottom end down that was making 400rwhp for 3.5 years with a shimmed rb30e oil pump. drive looked the same as when it was put on. it made power to 7000 rpm and was revved there at least once every time it got driven. drifted, sprints, powercruise..

the only thing wrong with the 30e pumps is that when they wear the hot idle oil pressure suffers alot. Also dont forget to shim the relief spring up so it runs more pressure up to the top of the rev range

Edited by craigy32

Sweet, sounds like the rest of Nissan stuff, loves a thrash and comes back for more!

I didn't shim mine as it all measured up nice and had very minimal wear.

So far the running temp pressure seems to only drop down to about 25psi?

Not sure what the spec is @ temp, the block itself only had 90,000km so maybe this pump is still happy.

What pressure is still expected at full load and wot?

So it would be safe to say that the single cam "rocker" head is really the only reason why the 30's redline was 5500,

So you reckon the crank, (pump particularly), rods etc will happily spin to 7000 all day?

It's just I read somewhere that the 30 bottom end starts to vibrate (I assume redlining or swing out of balance) at higher than factory speed?

I always just thought it was the valve gear that held it back. Same as v8 stuff.

Edited by nicksamaniac

RB30's out there that have spun to 10,000 Rpm.....have a read out what RIPS does with them.

As mentioned limiter bashing kills them, but also running too much oil pressure on a narrow drive, it only adds to the strain of the connection point which is small.

Personally i wouldnt build anything without using a wider oil pump drive collar, that area is the weakest RB link internally.

7mm of engagement is very small, i would only accept this if it was a budget low RPM stock rebuild that was never reved.

Having a pump with a large engagement area only working on 7mm is not ideal, just at least get a wider collar fitted to spread the load.

Remember a pump failure will cost you the engine, a collar is not expensive to buy and get fitted.