SAU Community

Cycle Registration Floated

GTR-N1

There are always another few questions in the back of my mind:

1: Build quality - what, if any standard/ADR's are complied with?

2: Assembly quality - The average enthusiast putting it together?

In the even of a serious accident, do crash investigators look at the structural integrity of the bike & more importantly, grip levels of tyres fitted?

Now we all know what type of tyres are used on halfway decent bikes being pedalled that are capable of 30+ kph. You only have to watch the ride around frogland & you will see plenty of riders go down for no apparent reason whatsoever.

Who polices the grip level road cyclists have? How many have gone down in traffic?

if a driver doing the right thing runs over a cyclist due to a fall from insufficient grip, will all the cyclists cry foul that he wasn't given enough room, even though TECHNICALLY his bike should never have been on the road?

Why is the grip level of a bike involved in a crash never mentioned??

Before anyone hacks me to death, I club raced for 7 years & used to train on the open road........

In the even of a serious accident, do crash investigators look at the structural integrity of the bike & more importantly, grip levels of tyres fitted?

Now we all know what type of tyres are used on halfway decent bikes being pedalled that are capable of 30+ kph. You only have to watch the ride around frogland & you will see plenty of riders go down for no apparent reason whatsoever.

Who polices the grip level road cyclists have? How many have gone down in traffic?

if a driver doing the right thing runs over a cyclist due to a fall from insufficient grip, will all the cyclists cry foul that he wasn't given enough room, even though TECHNICALLY his bike should never have been on the road?

Before anyone hacks me to death, I club raced for 7 years & used to train on the open road........

There is really no one policing build quality and assembly quality- could be a contributing factor to some crashes. It is really up to the rider.

In the instance of a crash I doubt they look at grip levels etc unless its fatal.

Not to sure about the standards for tyres.

My question to all of you is, how could you arrange some sort of rego system for bikes at under $10 per bike per year. Because I dont think you could.

Why should it be under $10 besides calculating the costs only due to the weight of the bike? $30 odd a year is a small price to pay for the privilege of using our vast road network.

There is really no one policing build quality and assembly quality- could be a contributing factor to some crashes. It is really up to the rider.

In the instance of a crash I doubt they look at grip levels etc unless its fatal.

Not to sure about the standards for tyres.

My question to all of you is, how could you arrange some sort of rego system for bikes at under $10 per bike per year. Because I dont think you could.

A rego system would have to be developed through consultation with all cycling groups & lobbys.

There needs to be standards in place, not just education, to aid in minimizing the risk to cyclists. Bicycles should have to meet a minimum roadworthiness (forget brakelights & indicators) for a bike to be on the road, just like any other road going vehicle.

If a car has bald tyres or semi slicks/track tyres fitted they get fined. Bikes should also have tyre regulations in place, because as with a car, truck or bike, the only thing keeping you in contact with the road is the tyre.

• Like 1

I think $10 is fair. but definetly not realistic. This is why it wont happen.

And further to that I dont want it to happen and I dont think it should happen.

I believe I am making the road better by reducing emissions. I am also getting exercise from this hobby of mine, why would anyone want to deter me from this.

I get what you guys are saying, but in the real world there is more cons than pros for cyling rego.

I believe I am making the road better by reducing emissions. I am also getting exercise from this hobby of mine, why would anyone want to deter me from this.

I dunno (sic) those street sweepers that clean remains off the road are fairly emissions unfriendly

A Melbourne council has been lampooned by cycling advocates and the RACV after petitioning for new laws requiring bicycles to be registered and cyclists to be licensed.

The Bayside City Council will ask the Municipal Association of Victoria to lobby the government for a major overall of cycling regulations. The borough is home to a popular weekend 17-kilometre run for cyclists, along Beach Road.

The council says if cyclists were forced to get a licence or register their bikes, the police and the public could more easily identify cyclists who fail to adhere to the road rules. Its petition also calls for education programs to increase the awareness of the vulnerability of bicycle riders.

The proposal has been ravaged by the transport lobby, which says the reforms would be a huge and unnecessary cost for the state.

Bicycle Network Victoria spokesman Garry Brennan said the push to have bikes registered had long been a “dead duck”. He said almost every place in the world that had sought to implement the policy had later abandoned it.

“It’s too expensive and provides no benefits for the community,” he said.

“If you say there is a problem with people leaving the scene of an accident, the problem is with motorists. ”

Mr Brennan said Bayside Council had a history of being anti-cycling, resisting for many years a successful move to introduce morning no-stopping zones for cars on Beach Road. He said local council had consistently voted against it until the Labor government gave them the money for it.

Bayside mayor Laurence Evans said the council’s motion to the MAV was prompted by a number of crashes between cyclists, in which one of the cyclists had left the scene. He said in one of these cases his friend was left with multiple injuries.

But Cr Evans conceded the motion probably needed reworking, because the council was unsure what was the best way to address the “issue” of law-breaking cyclists. He said the council “loved” people riding through the municipality.

“What we’re really doing is asking the government to look into the issue because it’s not just our problem.”

Bayside resident, Tom Quirk, 20, said registration of bicycles or the licensing of cyclists was "terrible idea".

Mr Quirk has worked at Omara, a popular bike shop on Beach Road, for four years and said a licence process would “definitely” discourage people from riding.

"They should be trying to encourage people to get out and stay healthy," he said.

"A lot of people get a bike to commute because it is cheaper, but now it’s not going to be cheaper, it’s going to be expensive as well.”

RACV’s road and traffic manager, Dave Jones, said the peak motoring group did not support bike registrations or licences. Because cycling is enjoyed by people of all ages, he said it would be more practical to invest in road education and training rather than implement a licence system.

If it can happen in a city as "Locked in" to it's current street architecture as London; it can happen here.

It just requires people who WANT conditions to be safer for cyclists.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/article4078649.ece

Cyclists are to be given more space at dangerous junctions and cycle-only filters at traffic lights as part of a raft of measures to make roads safer.

Road markings, street signage and traffic lights are to be overhauled to improve safety for cyclists and decrease clutter that can confuse both motorists and cyclists, the Government has announced.

Low-level traffic light signals are to be introduced so that cyclists can see changing lights more clearly and councils will also be able to fit cyclist-only filters at traffic lights to give cyclists a “head start” on other traffic.

Cycle boxes at traffic lights, designed to protect cyclists at dangerous junctions, are set to be enlarged, with 7.5 meter deep zones to be introduced.

Dangerous cycle lanes that force cyclists to ride in the gutter at traffic lights – taking them through the blind-spots of lorries and other vehicles – are to be scrapped. A technicality currently means that cyclists can only enter cycle boxes via these lanes, but this is to be changed under new measures to come into force next year.

Safety campaigners have welcomed the moves, but criticised the Government for failing to create a significant annual budget for cycling, which would allow local councils to build networks of safe cycle routes.

The measures will be introduced in an update to the road regulations in March next year. Some have already been trialled by Transport for London. Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London, wrote to the Department for Transport (DfT) last year to ask for the changes to be brought forward, but they will still only come into force in 2015.

The DfT has also announced plans to cut the number of road signs. There are currently more than 4.6 million signs on Britain’s roads, an increase from two million in 1993, described yesterday as “unnecessary clutter” by Robert Goodwill, the roads minister.

New road markings to help guide cyclists across junctions are also to be introduced, including “elephant’s footprints” - white squares to indicate the safest route.

Many of the new measures echo demands in The Times’s Cities Fit for Cycling campaign, which calls on the Government to revolutionise Britain’s roads to reduce conflict between motorists and cyclists.

Groups like the AA and British Cycling have joined The Times in calling for an annual budget of at least £600 million per year for cycle provision to be included in party manifestos for the 2015 elections.

Experts have said this would help the Government reap billions of pounds in benefits each year by reducing NHS costs on tackling obesity, decreasing congestion, alleviating overcrowding on public transport and tackling pollution.

Chris Peck, policy co-ordinator at the CTC cycling charity, said: “All of these things are small, simple changes which will make it easier for local authorities to improve facilities for cycling.

“But it will still take political will at a local level to provided adequate space for cycling. The Government must also provide the cash.”

They should have concreted the old monorail track. Problem in Sydney solved. Could even use the old stations to stack bikes during the day. Instead stupid council wastes tax on cycle lanes which further congest traffic

A Melbourne council has been lampooned by cycling advocates and the RACV after petitioning for new laws requiring bicycles to be registered and cyclists to be licensed.

The Bayside City Council will ask the Municipal Association of Victoria to lobby the government for a major overall of cycling regulations. The borough is home to a popular weekend 17-kilometre run for cyclists, along Beach Road.

The council says if cyclists were forced to get a licence or register their bikes, the police and the public could more easily identify cyclists who fail to adhere to the road rules. Its petition also calls for education programs to increase the awareness of the vulnerability of bicycle riders.

The proposal has been ravaged by the transport lobby, which says the reforms would be a huge and unnecessary cost for the state.

Bicycle Network Victoria spokesman Garry Brennan said the push to have bikes registered had long been a “dead duck”. He said almost every place in the world that had sought to implement the policy had later abandoned it.

“It’s too expensive and provides no benefits for the community,” he said.

“If you say there is a problem with people leaving the scene of an accident, the problem is with motorists. ”

Mr Brennan said Bayside Council had a history of being anti-cycling, resisting for many years a successful move to introduce morning no-stopping zones for cars on Beach Road. He said local council had consistently voted against it until the Labor government gave them the money for it.

Bayside mayor Laurence Evans said the council’s motion to the MAV was prompted by a number of crashes between cyclists, in which one of the cyclists had left the scene. He said in one of these cases his friend was left with multiple injuries.

But Cr Evans conceded the motion probably needed reworking, because the council was unsure what was the best way to address the “issue” of law-breaking cyclists. He said the council “loved” people riding through the municipality.

“What we’re really doing is asking the government to look into the issue because it’s not just our problem.”

Bayside resident, Tom Quirk, 20, said registration of bicycles or the licensing of cyclists was "terrible idea".

Mr Quirk has worked at Omara, a popular bike shop on Beach Road, for four years and said a licence process would “definitely” discourage people from riding.

"They should be trying to encourage people to get out and stay healthy," he said.

"A lot of people get a bike to commute because it is cheaper, but now it’s not going to be cheaper, it’s going to be expensive as well.”

RACV’s road and traffic manager, Dave Jones, said the peak motoring group did not support bike registrations or licences. Because cycling is enjoyed by people of all ages, he said it would be more practical to invest in road education and training rather than implement a licence system.

FYP

I'm not sure of the volume this area has, but would there still be space/lane size issues between cyclists given the large volume? What happens when the recreational hippy rider is dawdling along at 5kph & gets collected by a slipstreamer doing 30kph? They both have the right to be there.......

Because I 'love' bicycles so much, I've decided to train my NZ 'pet' and introduce him to a new diet of bicycle tyres next! :P

Ke1_zps4cc48dc4.jpg

Isn't he cute?

Because I 'love' bicycles so much, I've decided to train my NZ 'pet' and introduce him to a new diet of bicycle tyres next! :P

Ke1_zps4cc48dc4.jpg

Isn't he cute?

I'll buy him a mate, then we can set the offspring loose on the bikes Alfred Hitchcock style lol

However, first door rubber chewed and I'll swap to breeding manky feral cats lol

Edited by TREGTR

Ke1_zps4cc48dc4.jpg

Isn't he cute?

Awww, yes he is Terry, you should have posted him up in the The Naaaawww Why You So Cute? Thread!!!!

They should have concreted the old monorail track. Problem in Sydney solved. Could even use the old stations to stack bikes during the day. Instead stupid council wastes tax on cycle lanes which further congest traffic

You should get into politics.