SAU Community

Cycle Registration Floated

GTR-N1

You bicycle riders, bike riders and motorists will from now on, have to give way to me as I "raise my hand and point to my horse" at full gallop under me...

download_zps2beb6715.jpg

Or lead my own funeral cortege...

JapaneseHearse_zps95922537.jpg

since I trust that you will have read...

http://www.news.com.au/technology/design/the-ten-road-rules-you-never-knew-you-were-breaking/story-fnjwucvh-1226796995159

RTA issued serial numbers at time of registration, like a cars VIN number to match the plate. Like a motorist, your responsible for your plates. Some sort of third party insurance is a great idea. There is a good chance that if there is an accident brtween car and bike, some emergency service will be called, making it easier for the insurance companies to work out who is at fault. Tbh I don't see too many cyclists breaking the law around my way, just getting in the bloody way, but hopefully it can go towards funding long overdue road widenings including sectioned off, with a tiny kerb, cycle lanes. More the issue is really groups riding side by side at 40 in an 80 zone and such. Just dangerous for everyone.

Seems people have been calling for registration of bicycles for a while now; we might finally have politicians stupid enough, and so consumed with self interest, to finally to get it off the ground.

Keep up the fail; The Hon. Duncan Gay

Read the date at the bottom...

Bicycle Legislation.
The bicycle has almost got into politics (says the S. M. Herald). The Legislative Assembly on Tuesday refused leave to introduce a bill to provide for the registration of bicycles. The House is to be commended on rejecting the question, if only as showing that it is not disposed to encourage fussy legislation. Why should bicycles be registered ? There is an overt and a covert reason. Ostensibly the object is to ensure the identification of any cyclist who may injure a pedestrian ; but behind thin praiseworthy regard for public safety lurks private interest. So many people find themselves affected by the present fashion of cycling that they have a very hearty ill will to the offending vehicle.

They would like to tax it out of use, if they dared to make such a proposition ; but they know that no public body would, save under actual compulsion, propose such a thing. Failing prohibition they are not unwilling to harass the cyclist. They ask for continuous bells, for reducing pace to a funeral march, for compelling the cyclist to wear distinguishing numbers, or for requiring him to register his machine. In this spirit certain municipal authorities appear to question whether the rider of a bicycle has any right in the public thoroughfares. Some aldermen, for instance, complain of the damage done to their macadamised streets by pneumatic tires, but cyclists themselves are understood to complain the other way. Suppose it is admitted that for purposes of public control bicycles ought to be registered, is it the affair of Parliament, to give its attention to the matter, or is it not rather the province of the municipal bodies and the police to prevent the abuse of bicycling? It is satisfactory to find Parliament sensible of its own dignity.
- Western Star (Qld) September 16 1896

You bicycle riders, bike riders and motorists will from now on, have to give way to me as I "raise my hand and point to my horse" at full gallop under me...

download_zps2beb6715.jpg

Or lead my own funeral cortege...

JapaneseHearse_zps95922537.jpg

since I trust that you will have read...

http://www.news.com.au/technology/design/the-ten-road-rules-you-never-knew-you-were-breaking/story-fnjwucvh-1226796995159

I like this idea, because tentpegging pedestrians walking on the wrong side of the foot path could be considered very therapeutic lol

I like this idea, because tentpegging pedestrians walking on the wrong side of the foot path could be considered very therapeutic lol

or just harold scruby

after all, he apparently speaks for all of them (though self-appointed)

or just harold scruby

after all, he apparently speaks for all of them (though self-appointed)

ped council of aus harold lol. I heard from a highly disreputable and completely fictional source that one such joust left the stick up...

i heard from another fictional source he's a whingy flamin mongrel

Really?

He seems so rational, & normal on TV...

Dale without dancing a defamatory dance. The guy may be closely associated with Nobby's.

Lol; touché.

I can't stand the guy; he's the full tinfoil hat, that one.

I didn't read any of the thread. But my biggest issue with the whole debate is that many people that argue for plates on bikes due to law breaking, just don't know what is and isn't illegal for a cyclist to do.

Did you know? - If a cyclist stops at a red light, they are then allowed to proceed as long as it is safer than it would be to stay at the lights.

It is also 100% legal for a cyclist to lane split to the front of traffic lights. - This is stupid IMO, You shouldn't allow the slowest of traffic to the front of a queue. and make traffic pull around them at every set of lights down Victoria road.

As a whole:

Cyclist are often really the dumbest of the dumb. Just because you are allowed to do it, doesn't mean you should. 1/2 the time they are being selfish and outright stupid

Don't ride down Parramatta road. its dumb

Dont ride through gallstone at 6pm on a Tuesday night. It's dumb

Dont ride 2 or 4 abreast down any single lane road.. EVER. It's selfish

Dont ride up the left hand side of a bus, IT'S JUST f**kIN DUMB... (3 people were killed in as many weeks recently doing exactly this in NSW)

Cyclist's are putting themselves and their foam helmet up against tonnes of rolling steal, they will never win. It's not a fight anyone should be getting into. They need to take their own safety into their own hands and not put themselves into these situation.

Yes, Car drivers are f**kin stupid too, but they will beat you 100% of the time.

I cycle myself, I will often ride 10-20% further distances just to not ride on a busy traffic road. I know car drivers are dream boats, I am one. So on my bike i avoid that situation, just like i avoid dark alleys at night.

I do really wonder what some cyclist are thinking sometimes.

An interesting byproduct since the mandated minimum passing distances in Queensland;
Rather than inflaming hostilities between riders & drivers; NEWLY introduced bicycle laws have changed motorists' behaviour towards their two-wheeled friends for the better, according to the Bundaberg Road Policing Unit.

http://m.news-mail.com.au/news/rules-bring-road-users-together-in-good-way/2270616/

It's reassuring when a good idea creates positive change.