SAU Community

R33 GTR for under $40,000.... Can it be done?

HeathGTST

Hey all. Im looking at buying an R33 GTR but i can only afford something around the 35k mark..... I have seen a few around in the trading post but a few look a bit dodgy..... I dont really need any mods but it has to be low Klms and in immaculate condition..... Cheers all!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gerald from Ice Performace just sold his 95 R33GTR for $34K and it was in great condition (was advertised in the trading post). Only mod was catback exhaust.

It can be done.

I used to work for a yard in Brisbane, and I sold several 33's under $40G, ranging from clean '95s through to update '96 V-specs for that money. Just look hard enough and screw hard enough. Doesn't hurt to be nice to salesmen either, it always seems to attract a better deal! Good luck with the hunt!

theres one thing being able to afford to BUY an R33 GTR

its another thing to be able to maintain the car, ongoing costs, servicing, insurance

if your counting your pennies to just scrape through and buy a GTR, maybe you should be considering a different car for the time being

I think you'll find maintenance is not too bad. Parts for the r33gtr are readily available and are not excessively expensive for what you get. Costs accumilate pretty quickly when rebuilding the rb26 however so obviously have an independent party thoroughly check the mechanicals and make sure you have a leak down test performed. I wouldn't be taking the risk buying one from Japan where these checks cannot be performed when there are plenty of gtr's on our shores already. You are at an advantage if you can inspect what you are buying in the flesh. The Japs dont sell their prized gtr's at an auction house for no reason.

theres one thing being able to afford to BUY an R33 GTR

its another thing to be able to maintain the car, ongoing costs, servicing, insurance

if your counting your pennies to just scrape through and buy a GTR, maybe you should be considering a different car for the time being

Speaking from experience - I bought a car with what I thought was plenty of pennies left over - but it wasnt long before I spent them all anyways on trying to make it go faster! LOL. One way or another generally buying a GTR will send you broke!

i think maintenance and mods get mixed up sometimes...

keeping a stock R33 GTR maintained wouldn't be so bad, a little bit thirsty on the fuel, 17" tyres aren't too bad, heavy duty single plate clutch would be fine... as ben said lots of parts are readily avialable...

its more when you start moding, and have to do maintence as part of that

ie my car is a bit lower than normal, so i have a bit too much negative camber, so i need to put a camber kit on etc...

my wheels are 18" so tyres are that bit more expensive...

its running a bit more boost so its a little bit thirstier.. etc....

but no matter how good you think the car is, always budget a bit for things to go wrong, its a 8-9 year old performance vehicle, people don't buy GTR's to drive them like camerys, they buy to drive them how they are built to be driven....

Speaking from experience - I bought a car with what I thought was plenty of pennies left over - but it wasnt long before I spent them all anyways on trying to make it go faster! LOL. One way or another generally buying a GTR will send you broke!

werd!!

Sound advice - its not so much the maintenance (unless you have 6 speed getrag but for the wealthy whom can afford the r34 its only pocket money). The expense lies with the addictive ongoing development costs associated with the bloody thing. What felt like a quick package last week soon becomes average and you dig deeper into your pockets once again.

I have intentions of leaving it fairly standard due to the insurance costs.... Maybe exhaust and a bit more boost and ill be happy... I dont want something ultra quick for the street.... My race car is fast enough for that :)

I havent seen or know the car but a melbourne user calvantys is selling an r33 gtr for $38k on the forums at present. Doesn't appear to be heavily modded, might be worth a look.

sorry snowman don't mean to add insult to injury.  :Oops:

I'm especially sensitive today cause I just sent off my non refundable $2K+ entry form for the Dutton Rally and I still have no idea if my car is going to be in working condition or not! It damn well better be or else it $2K down the :dump:

Exactly.. if you're paying that much, if you ask me its better to go for something that you can look at locally. The more specific you get on what you want, the harder it will be to find locally and then you'd probably want to look at importing yourself.

I think the market for GTR have dropped a bit, now its probably the majority that are under $40k whereas 12 months ago it was probably the other way around.