SAU Community

Driving with an A/V display on

zzsprade

Out of curiousity, from the way that I understand it in QLD (and possibly the other states) it is illegal to view tv via an a/v display if the handbrake isn't on.

But is it still illegal to have the a/v display on if it is your only way of selecting songs etc (ie. one of those single din all in one units)?

Furthermore, what is the fine/points for such an offence?

Cheers guys!

-Alex

i'd say not, my mates tv in his lancer, it stays out when hand brake is down but the tv shuts off but still displays song title etc on the screen that. if a cop pulls u up show them what it does. look at the new ford and stuff they got tv screens to that display stuff

yer i think PlATiuM would be right, i have my tv workin wether the handbrake is up or down but yer my mates xr6t has the screen so i cant see what the difference would be...

cheers...ben.

ive been pulled over twice. my tv is mounted in the centre of the r33 dash at the top, its blantly obvious where it is. i cant hide it or move it. cops checked twice, one sat in the drivers seat to make sure the clearance was ok and no problems at all

• 1 year later...

You can just install a switch inline with the handbrake wire so when the handbrake is on the TV is on, but when the handbrake is down the tv is off but you could flick the switch to turn it on. I know its not totally legal, but a small switch down the side of your centre console is not noticable at all, when you get pulled over etc.

My wife's car turns the video off when moving forward ie; speedo sensor input. The display still works for everything else (trip computer, sat nav etc) when moving forward. It doesn't turn off when reversing though, probably for a rear vision camera (if it had one).

This only applies to the screen the driver can see, the other screens (the ones the driver can't see) still work when moving.

:wub: cheers :wub: