SAU Community

Driving The Car Hard After Long Periods Bad? (Track Days Etc..)

Deza3000

Nulon 1040 I've been using it for years on a mildly modded r33 ,do 30000 plus a year.No lifter noise on start up and engine purrs like a kitten on cruise but when you need to punch it no prob with oil pressure. :-)

Yea i heard nulon make good oil blends! I had 5 liters of 10w40 castrol edge, so thought i may as well use that for now.

Just an update, have finally gotten around to flushing out the old oil and chucking in some fresh oil, actually did it for the first time in my life, and i gotta say, oil looked like crap. It was pitch black and gross, smelt like sh** as well.

Chucked in 4.75 liters of castrol edge 10w-40, went for a drive, no oil pressure light! But it was a short drive, ill need to actually give it a good run and see if it starts to flicker again. As for the gauges, they are still getting shipped, should have it by next week hopefully :)

Ill see how everything goes, im still going to get the new pressure sender. As one of you already suggested, looking at the evo forums, found out that apparently oil pressure senders do give out on around 40k miles, hopefully thats where my problem is!

Cheers for all the help!

OH and also, thinking of going e85? 400 Lph walbro fuel pump and 1000cc injectors is on the list for e85 compatibility, but was wondering if i should get cams done as well before tuning for e85? Ive heard that its better to get cam gears and valve springs as well, but thats where it goes a little out of budget for me.... opinions?

Yea gave it a boot, still too thin ==' will definitely go 50 weight now, might also be cause its quite hot weather.

Do Evos run stock oil coolers? Maybe upgrade to something better or if you dont have one then get one installed. Will obviously cool the oil and maintain viscosity but will allow you to add that little bit extra oil which could help with the oil pressure issue, especially with high speed cornering etc.

Cheers

Amir

Do Evos run stock oil coolers? Maybe upgrade to something better or if you dont have one then get one installed. Will obviously cool the oil and maintain viscosity but will allow you to add that little bit extra oil which could help with the oil pressure issue, especially with high speed cornering etc.

Cheers

Amir

Yea they do man, ill look into it further, because my mates evo 7 doesnt seem to have this kind of problem, exact same car. Im also thinking the idle is too low? should be idling at 1000 not 600rpm, maybe thats why it loses pressure on idle.

Are they supposed to idle at 1000? That seems a bit high but im no evo (or any other car) expert. See how you go man, maybe a bigger/better aftermarket oil cooler will help with some of the issues.

Let us know what happens

Amir

Are they supposed to idle at 1000? That seems a bit high but im no evo (or any other car) expert. See how you go man, maybe a bigger/better aftermarket oil cooler will help with some of the issues.

Let us know what happens

Amir

Umm yea most evos idle around 800-1000 pretty sure. They have a very wide rpm range, rev up to 7600ish from factory. But yea man will do! Cheers :)

Oh one more question, does anyone know a good place to get my oil pressure, and oil temperature gauges installed? I would do it myself but it looks way more complicated than my boost gauge =/

Oh one more question, does anyone know a good place to get my oil pressure, and oil temperature gauges installed? I would do it myself but it looks way more complicated than my boost gauge =/

I'm actually looking for the same but in Perth. I've done everything to the car myself (with the help of some mates) up till now but with this sort of stuff I prefer someone a bit more qualified and knowlegeable than me.

Did you end up buying gauges from egauges?

Cheers

it's not that complicated man.. just buy one of these things:

1000x1000.jpg

I've got an oil cooler on the skyline Johnny so I've got the sandwich plate. What else would I need and is it straight forward. Mainly I want an oil pressure gauge.

Amir

I'm actually looking for the same but in Perth. I've done everything to the car myself (with the help of some mates) up till now but with this sort of stuff I prefer someone a bit more qualified and knowlegeable than me.

Did you end up buying gauges from egauges?

Cheers

Umm i used them as a reference, most of the autometer ones werent for sale, they only had the transmission oil temperature gauges for sale :( But they were so much cheaper than bloody autobarn! Saving 150 dollars buy using egauges.

But yea i rang up a few people, auto electricians and mechanics and tuners, none of them could install them. Most auto electricians focus on generic stuff like central locking, immobilizers etc... Anyways, ended up calling revzone, who i thought solely specialized in tuning and mechanics, but do gauges as well! Minimum 60 dollars to install per gauge (for an evo) so decided to go with them. Its funny cause they were my go to mechanics for everything, but for some reason assumed they didnt do gauges :P

it's not that complicated man.. just buy one of these things:

Hey mate, yea i thought it would be, but the oil pressure sender is located behind the engine block under the intake, right above the transfer case, its almost impossible to get too without removing strubrace, intake manifold, a whole bunch of vaccum lines etc.... So thought it'd be better to leave it to an expert.

Hey mate, yea i thought it would be, but the oil pressure sender is located behind the engine block under the intake, right above the transfer case, its almost impossible to get too without removing strubrace, intake manifold, a whole bunch of vaccum lines etc.... So thought it'd be better to leave it to an expert.

you need this:

DSC01796.jpg

relocates your hard to reach oil filter & also has 2x 1/8pt ports for your gauges :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

^ wow just saw this now! Too late though, got it installed :)

Update:
So got the gauges installed, monitored both the temps and oil pressure, basically under normal driving the oil pressure idles at 14 psi while the temps remain below 80 degrees Celsius.

However,
Under some spirited driving, and heating 22psi of boost, the temps lie between 80 to 90 degrees celcius, sometimes a little higher (didnt push it too far), and the oil pressure on idle drops to about 10PSI, at which point the OEM factory oil pressure light starts to flicker. So basically when the oil is below 11psi on idle, the oil pressure sender light starts to flicker.

After driving normal again, temps drop all the way to 79-80 degrees celcius, and oil pressure once again idles at 14psi, with no oil pressure light.

So i narrowed it down to two options:
1. bigger oil cooler - i think the temps affect the viscosity of the oil
2. Just chuck in thicker oil? (10w-40 or 15w-50)

Is it a good idea to use 50weight for daily driving as well?
Thanks for all you help btw, helped me a lot so far :)