SAU Community

Mike's Z32

Your propaganda and JEDI-77's Z32 have swayed me to appreciate and even consider these cars to be cool.

Maybe I need to have a ride in one

:D Mark's car is nice, there are plenty worse ones you could have a ride in!

They are no more troublesome than any other 25ish year old import, owned by people who can't afford the basic maintenance.

There are many, many shitboxes not worth saving (soon to be parts cars), and a few very well cared for/maintained/modded examples. There are still enough average/above average ones floating around that could be nice with a bit of time and effort (and money).

• 2 weeks later...

Final fuel line re-routing has begun. Came to a stop when I realised I needed to connect 2 lots of 2 female hose ends. Always forget the males.

So took the time to install the Twinz chin spoiler, looks good, fits well, but now I have to redo my undertray as access to mounting holes are reduced.

20160425_172210_zpsvklqeyxd.jpg

20160425_172233_zpssbfet6kl.jpg

• 2 months later...

Fuel system is complete again now. 1650s are in etc

Just finishing up install of in cabin fuel pressure gauge, have a grommet or 2 to replace, and footwell to put back together.

Then just need to find the laptop charger and I can hopefully fire it up again.

• 4 months later...

Not long after my last post, I did find the laptop charger. Also discovered that the laptop battery was proper stuffed and would not power on. So I had to buy a new laptop, and all my tunes are stuck in the old laptop. Anyway...

I did get the zed fired up again and it idled perfectly.

Not long after that, I happened upon an Adaptronic select on the forum here (thanks Count Grantleyish, top seller!), and since I am obvioulsy not in any great hurry to get this bloody car working again, I decided to bite the bullet and replace Nistune with Adaptronic. Nearly got it ready to start too, when those bastards at Link ECU had a special this month on their Z32 plug in G4+.

So the Adaptronic was gone before it began, and I am currently waiting for the Link. At least alot of the wiring I did for the adaptronic isn't wasted, just needs to be re-terminated at the ECU (widebands and all the other external sensors).

In the meantime, I have also sold off my original Ross Metaljacket balancer, with a view to get one of the new ones with the trigger wheel already attached. Obviously all the bracketry and sensors that go with this will need to be sorted at some stage. Like everything, it all takes time and/or money, which I don't have much of either with now 2 kids under 1.5.

Also forgot the fancy sump i picked up. It is from Specialty Z in the states, was used on a local race car that met an untimely end at lakeside. It is a factory sump, modified to suit.

Big capacity, fancy trapdoors and baffles and scrapers and stuff20161015_180024.jpg

20161015_180031.jpg

20161015_195449.jpg

20161015_180043.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Bit of an update.

Car is now running on the link G4+, with crank trigger and modified CAS. Have a new sync trigger to install that replaces the CAS altogether, but haven't got there yet.

Going to be removing the AEM widebands and replace them with Ecotrons ALM CAN II. Received them yesterday so no more excuses.

Also been working on an in car pc/dash setup which is basically complete. It is a little bit rougher than I'd like but still pretty happy with how it turned out. Will fine tune the display as I go, was just a quick layout to define the size. The blue LED for highbeam is way too bright (even with twice the resistance of the green indicators) so I will have to do something there. Have some different LED's with a diffused face in transit, so they might work better, even tho I do like the chrome bezel on these.

Basic setup is as follows. 7in Win 10 touchscreen mini pc in centre console (armrest), dash screen is the 2nd display and is a usb powered raspberry pi hdmi 7in. Software is the regular PClink.

20171021_232121.thumb.jpg.2bad97d4a834a31f8392440e8a3e6b92.jpg20171024_132326.thumb.jpg.a210506ea99dd3723c8f965e5d3d084b.jpg20171024_155150.thumb.jpg.817d9f3d6b48a0582f013dce9ea040ef.jpg20171026_225304.thumb.jpg.2b9c94746b9de2a2a0eec885b03bb484.jpg20171029_140355.thumb.jpg.e18c4dd85dae63b0504d5afb628c852e.jpg20171028_224427.thumb.jpg.ab6235d2aabb17f2d28fe6a9c39f0e92.jpg

car pc dash small day.mp4

Fuel setup has also been changed. All fuelab products removed. They were the source of some intermittent delivery issues I was having. Working just enough to send me on a massive wild goose chase changing everything else.

Anyway, settled for now on twin 460's in tank, no surge tank anymore, turbosmart FPR2000 and a Radium damper.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, GTofuS-T said:

That's awesome! Love the dash!! would be keen to see a bit more detail on the development of it one day. 

Thankyou! Once I have settled on the setup and finished it all up I will add some more details and pics of the whole thing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PranK said:

I like the concept of a high beam dashboard LED burning the retinas of the driver. People will use high beams sparingly then. :)

haha I agree 100%, just not in my car :D and I would like to be able to see again shortly after I turn them off, which as it stands, I can't. It is that bright. I was quite surprised as they are the same series as the green ones, and they are pleasant.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MagicMikeZ32 said:

haha I agree 100%, just not in my car :D and I would like to be able to see again shortly after I turn them off, which as it stands, I can't. It is that bright. I was quite surprised as they are the same series as the green ones, and they are pleasant.

Perhaps you can direct the light from the LED out the front to supplement the high beams ? :)

8 minutes ago, PranK said:

Perhaps you can direct the light from the LED out the front to supplement the high beams ? :)

Funny you should mention that... Since I have replaced the foglights with the carbon ducts, night viability is terrible without high beams, so I have plans to do something to supplement the low beams (and also the parkers that are supposed to live in the foglights).

But I am a while off a mountain run so no great rush to start on that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...