SAU Community

Engineers Report For Coil-overs (sa Rego)

Hi peeps.

Would anyone have a pair of 350GT Sedan standard Shockies (in NSW, ACT, VIC or SA) for a weeks hire or to sell to me so that I could pass the Service SA inspection without the need of buying a new set only to take them off afterwards???

Just wanting to know your thoughts.

Since service SA is strict in road safety regarding new interstate registration.

If I don't go ahead in getting the coil-overs engineered would there be a chance that the insurance company not pay out the claim if the vehicle gets into an accidental write-off?

Also any favourism of an Engineer in Adelaide that you guys have used on your G35's (350GT's) previously to get any compliance issues fixed up to be roadworthy again???

As I am getting big differences cost wise from one engineer to the other about complying the coil-overs!

Or anyone know someone who is a licenced SA Chartered Professional Engineer in NSW???

Many thanks :)

Edited by PaulReeves.com - GPOWER.TV

I may be slightly wrong, but I understand that you do not need to get coilovers engineered to pass an inspection at Regency. One thing that they CANNOT be is height adjustable. If they are height adjustable they must be tack welded so you cannot adjust them any more. If the car is at or above the legal height and cannot be freely lowered then Regency should tick that box.

I had my car over the pits (actually, it's a hoist!) a year or so ago. Had conventional aftermarket (Bilstein and KYB) dampers and Kings springs in it at the time. Right on the legal limit. Guy who was inspecting my car asked me why I didn't have coilovers. Was surprised that I didn't and surprised that I didn't want them. Suggested that then would have been the time to get them and get them approved at the same inspection. My car has not been seen by an engineer. Was in Regency for (required) inspection approval for engine conversion and brake upgrade. Coilovers would have been approved at the same time without an engineer (is the message I got from the conversation).

• Like 2

Hmm I get ya...

Unfortunately mine are height-adjustable.

They have been set higher than the 100mm legal height last month by Heasmans Suspension using laser.

I also have Bi-Xenon headlights which they could fail me on, but when I was there in January I think they passed that after a short chat.

What car did you bring in?

Yah, you're not going to get height adjustable coilovers passed even if an engineer signs off on them. That's IF an engineer signs off on them, which would not be expected.

SA/Regency don't use a 100mm underbody clearance. They actually have a dimension for each car from the top/centre lip of wheel arch to the centreline of the hub cap on the wheel. That in itself is a bit of a stupid method, because wheels with a thicker hub section will push the centre point outward and change the measurement (OK, that's a really small change) and also winding on more/less caster will move the centre forwards and backwards (again, a really small change, but it is a change). And worse, it doesn't account for modified guards very well. Nevertheless, there will be a front and a rear dimension for your type of car on their books and that is what they will look to.

I took an R32 GTSt in. Got through on 1st try because of good preparation. Took dents out of the chassis rails, made sure I had a proper tyre placard, all demister, headlight, indicator stuff working, etc etc.

Yes you're referring to the 'Eyebrow Height Measurement'.

I had this measured by a NSW Engineer, but then he said he had to register to something to be able to do it.

But when I was in Service SA the 'vehicle standards' dude in there said he was already registered.

And once on the phone when I was with my NSW Engineer.

So who knows why he didn't want to follow up on it!

He laughed to find out that SA even required an Engineers Report for Coil-overs!!! lol

I have got x3 different quotes for doing my Adjustable Coil-overs in Adelaide so far :)

I also have Bi-Xenon headlights which they could fail me on, but when I was there in January I think they passed that after a short chat.

xenons must be self leveling and have wahsers

• Like 1

my direction would be to either borrow a stock set or purchase a used set and resell if need be.
some shops will supply stock parts for these purposes depending on availability but either way man, its gonna be a shit loan less than trying to get something engineered to pass.... which it wouldn't anyway.

• Like 2

Re: Headlight Washers...

I am sure none have them besides some SAAB & Mercedes Benz classes!

I have an eye for detail & always had an eye out for this all over Australia when driving...

Edited by PaulReeves.com - GPOWER.TV

cant confirm or deny, however in regards to your car, you need self leveling and washers, always more than welcome to take up the argument with the ADR people. good luck however.

Mine is the OEM premium model, so if other are OEM Merc models.

I don't see why mine should be any different & not ADR compliant if the others are!!!

Apparently if you have projectors you can somehow get away with HID's, but I have yet to try that in practice.

Do you mean in an OEM sense (ie manufacturer of new car can fit HIDs behind a projector lens and not need to fit levellers and washers), or do you mean in a retrofit sense as in "can legally fit HIDs behind R32 projectors"?

• Like 1

They all have high pressure washers and auto leveling... as useless as those things are.

Apparently if you have projectors you can somehow get away with HID's, but I have yet to try that in practice.

No you can't.

Yes I was referring to the projectors.

The HID Bulbs sit behind the crystal projector lens.

I failed at the ID Inspection instantly with my 1981 F-350 HID Kit & Aftermarket Headlight Units...

In reality they were bright, especially stopping at night at city traffic lights.

I would put my parkers on instead when sitting behind other cars at traffic lights as it blinds them otherwise or they complain!!!

While passed it with the 350GT at the ID Inspection, but was told coil-overs wouldn't!

So now Sot Kavuki of Rory Thompson Services will be measuring my Eyebrow Heights comparing original to aftermarket shock absorber distance travel, just what Service SA is requesting to be on the Engineers Report! :)