SAU Community

Engineers Report For Coil-overs (sa Rego)

It's probably mostly the case, GHO5T.

So I am going in standard, no coil-overs anymore!

Because it says once I get them engineered.

I'd still need to wait for the statement of requirements to come in..

I've had enough waiting & waiting!

Will SA Regency require my rear coilsprings to be stock as well or I can leave the aftermarket ones in as they don't adjust on the coilspring, but only on the shockie strut threading??!

Will SA Regency require my rear coilsprings to be stock as well or I can leave the aftermarket ones in as they don't adjust on the coilspring, but only on the shockie strut threading??!

afaik aslong as they dont adjust and aslong as the height is legal your not gonna have a problem.

I have bolded the bit that would bother me. If you can wind the spring perch up and down the damper body, then you can adjust the height, and Regency will ping you for it. You have to weld such things to prevent them being able to be moved in order to pass inspection.

• Like 1

can tac weld and break the weld later

i would still be looking to borrow a set for the pits trip though.

when you duck around the rules they tend to look for something else. my belief is to put the effort to do the right thing and they stop looking for something else to hold it back.

Edited by GH05T
  • Like 1

Yes I am getting a set for sure!

Too much risk with coilovers.

How strict are they on tyres?

Every part of the tyre needs to have tread? Or can one tyre on the inside have a low spot?

Can I go 18's with new tyres or stay with stock 17's for inspection for now?

Tyres would be the most obvious thing they will look for. Of course the whole tyre needs to be roadworthy.

Edited by Ben C34
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That was a great $700 investment for used stock suspension, lol.

SA Regency Inspection failed me on Friday even with the stock suspension installed because it was used & not in near new condition.

Which resulted in it sitting 9mm lower than normal! :(

What was the actual problem there? Was it that it was "used and not in near new condition"**, or was it that it was "9mm lower than"***? See the expanded comments below before answering that.

** You see, I refuse to believe that they would defect (or refuse to pass) a car that had used suspension on it unless it was obviously bad in some way. Perished rubber parts (like spring isolators) or oil leaks would definitely attract their unhappy face. But my car went over the pits there a couple of years ago with suspension that had been on it for nearly 15 years. One of the rear dampers was actually leaking, but a clean off of oil and replacement with general grime (clean rag followed by grimy rag) was all that was required to get over that the day before the inspection. Note I replaced those dampers shortly afterwards, so I wasn't really trying to scam the inspection. Nevertheless, it proves that even quite "old" suspension parts is not going to cause you to be failed.

*** Here's the real question. Is "9mm lower than normal" to be taken to mean "9mm lower than standard" or is it meant to mean "9mm lower than the minimum acceptable height"? Because, again, when my car went over it measured almost EXACTLY to the lowest allowable height (like within a mm at each end - over the minimum of course) and so was passed. But this is like 15mm (or perhaps even more) lower than stock.

• Like 1

So you went to all the trouble of putting in stock suspension and never checked for yourself that it met the minimum eyebrow measurement?

A spacer would have solved your issue.

They didn't fail you because the suspension was used! It was too low.

• Like 1

Well that'd be handy Ben, but I didn't have the specs & no one passed on the eye brow height measurements to me!!!

Lowest allowable is 360mm...

The Brisbane SAU Member sold me 350Z Suspension, not the 370GT Suspension as we agreed on...

Hope PayPal can fix him up a little bit!!!

Anyway I failed the Full Roadworthy last Friday morning on the Middle Seat Child Restraint Bolt not being present (BOSE Sound System is in the way).

Tint was too dark at the front (even though I asked for darkest legal tint, work that out)!!!

Rear ride height is sitting too low (9mm) from minimum allowable.

HID bulbs (which was the only thing I was afraid of failing on)!!!

And to top it off the Import Factory in SA hasn't got my Model Coil Springs!!! :(

So I can't do nothing to pass SA anymore...

ok, i dont mean to rag on you or anything but

Anyway I failed the Full Roadworthy last Friday morning on the Middle Seat Child Restraint Bolt not being present (BOSE Sound System is in the way).
- rookie mistake but that gets allot of people - easy to fix

Tint was too dark at the front (even though I asked for darkest legal tint, work that out)!!!
seriously... you went through with tint.. why would you even?

Rear ride height is sitting too low (9mm) from minimum allowable.
-stock stock STOCK STOCK STOCK STOCK

HID bulbs (which was the only thing I was afraid of failing on)!!!
- and....you......you didnt remove them..........................

So I can't do nothing to pass SA anymore...
- appart from fix the obvious issues of why you failed?

remove front tint
use STOCK springs STOCK MAN!

remove hids
install child anchors

do this then go pass?

Too bad, no ones got stock 350GT Spings Glyn.

I thought Import Factory SA would have them, but nah!!!

HID's (Auto Elec: $250) Total for re-wiring twice?

Tint ($150 Approx?)

Restraint Bracket Fabricated & Bolt ($200 Approx?)

And the same place that done my mums front side windows tint looks fine, not as dark as mine!

but why would you go to get inspected with lowered springs. its not like we just had a whole topic discussing it.
HID cost to remove and refit..... well.. yes ..... unless im totally lost here and you DO want to get your car passed?
tint, just never go with tint on the front windows. you cannot do it.. its clearly in the rules.

the bolt (afaik) is factory, find one and bolt it in. if you have to remove your speakers to do so then remove them.

like i said im not the expert and im not trying to have a dig, but going to get inspected with lowered springs tint and hids after starting a thread about getting a car passed on a forum with a bazillion threads about these things i struggle to feel sympathy.

How am I meant to know 350Z Suspension sat lower when the seller said they were going to be the same as the 350GT? Hello...

That's the big issue here that I am pi**ed off about, 'False Advertising'!!!

And the middle rear child restraint is 'missing'.

Needs fabricating a bracket attached from both sides of the bolts if that makes sense.

Why should I spend another grand doing all this and risking future HID wiring issues.

When I can get it rego'd in another state for the same price with HID's still intact.

Defeats the purpose now.

Have tried twice now, I would of got pinged for the middle child restraint first time as no one warmed me!

My car is all safe (besides front tint), SA Gov is over doing it completely!

That's why not many used cars in Adelaide are for sale unregistered...

Registered or not in SA makes no difference when selling.

It's only when transferring rego from another state

The fact is your car snuck through without meeting the proper ADR requirements. That's not SA's fault.

• Like 1

How am I meant to know 350Z Suspension sat lower when the seller said they were going to be the same as the 350GT? Hello...
That's the big issue here that I am pi**ed off about, 'False Advertising'!!!
totally understood

And the middle rear child restraint is 'missing'.
Needs fabricating a bracket attached from both sides of the bolts if that makes sense.
it does, take it to a shop that fits them, maby www.willshire.com.au

Why should I spend another grand doing all this and risking future HID wiring issues.
to get it regoed.

When I can get it rego'd in another state for the same price with HID's still intact.
cannot, its an ADR rule, australia wide and is done on all imports, just part of importing a jap car unfortunately.

Defeats the purpose now.
Have tried twice now, I would of got pinged for the middle child restraint first time as no one warmed me!
you can try as many times as you like, fortunately now you know exactly what is needed to get this done finally. luckelly its simple bolt on bits, could be oh so much worse.

My car is all safe (besides front tint), SA Gov is over doing it completely!
simple things by the sounds of it. i understand some things are a bit shit but none of this is new to anyone with an import unfortunately.

That's why not many used cars in Adelaide are for sale unregistered...
sa is not the worst, trust me. but yes.

almost there mate. just address the issues, deep breath and enjoy the car.

then mod it and get defected like the rest of us :)

Posted Today, 02:21 PM

Edited by GH05T
  • Like 1

The rules and the guys in SA are not bastardy at all. The guys at Regency are strict, but generally very fair. When people turn up with the wrong attitude they will get a harder time of it. If the same person turns up regularly (with defects), they will get a harder time. But these things are entirely under the control of the person turning up.

My car got passed with a number of small things that they could have pinged me for. Was done on the proviso that I clean them up as soon as I could. Some of these I did, in good faith. Some of them I ignored because it suited me to do so. But the point is that the guy I dealt with treated me very fairly because of the state of the car I presented and my attitude when I did so. Those guys at Regency aren't pricks who want to ruin everyone's lives. They are all car guys, that's why they are there. They also know that it is very very possible to have a car, including a modified one, that meets the rules. The rules are fairly strictly enforced in SA (despite the slackness of not having regular roadworthies and so on), but at least they don't have a whole bunch of really stupid rules like they do in Victoria.

In fact, in SA it is possible to get really spastically modified cars approved, so long as you work closely with the Regency guys during the planning, engineering and build. You'd be surprised what is legally, and I mean truly legally, driving around in Adelaide.

• Like 1

The rules and the guys in SA are not bastardy at all. The guys at Regency are strict, but generally very fair. When people turn up with the wrong attitude they will get a harder time of it. If the same person turns up regularly (with defects), they will get a harder time. But these things are entirely under the control of the person turning up.

My car got passed with a number of small things that they could have pinged me for. Was done on the proviso that I clean them up as soon as I could. Some of these I did, in good faith. Some of them I ignored because it suited me to do so. But the point is that the guy I dealt with treated me very fairly because of the state of the car I presented and my attitude when I did so. Those guys at Regency aren't pricks who want to ruin everyone's lives. They are all car guys, that's why they are there. They also know that it is very very possible to have a car, including a modified one, that meets the rules. The rules are fairly strictly enforced in SA (despite the slackness of not having regular roadworthies and so on), but at least they don't have a whole bunch of really stupid rules like they do in Victoria.

In fact, in SA it is possible to get really spastically modified cars approved, so long as you work closely with the Regency guys during the planning, engineering and build. You'd be surprised what is legally, and I mean truly legally, driving around in Adelaide.

Totally agree that it is very important on what attitude you give your inspector!

He commented 'besides these faults, it's a neat car'.

Which was cool to hear from them :)

Vehicle Standards never replied to my 2 E-Mails I sent them about my specific procedure!!!

Then I gave up & just went in without knowing the known requirements...

Statement of Requirements on first go for the 'missing import approval sticker'.

Got that sorted, then the 4 faults on the 2nd visit.

What are the strict VIC rules that you hate & others?