SAU Community

Brake Fluid Level Dropping But No Visible Leaks

Yeh I thought that might be the case. The R31's had them, but I figured that Nissan had dropped the design in later models.

In that case, the caliper rebuild will be relatively straightforward. If OP were in QLD I would happily rebuild them.

If the piston and bore aren't scored, it's a relatively straight forward process. Just take note of the orientation of the seal, one side has a leading edge (this will become apparent upon removal). Just take your time and get yourself a tube of rubber grease, a can of brake cleaner and some o-ring pick/tools will help.

If the piston/bore has some light scoring, a light buff with some wet and dry (say 2000 grit) will do the job. Remember, you're not trying to remove material just prepare the surface for the new seal.

Good luck.

post-30549-14303420723839_thumb.jpg

Once again guys thank you very much for all the help and offers - really appreciate it.

I ended up taking it to a mechanic to get done (among a few other small things) because I have a track day booked in for this weekend, I wanted to make sure I got to that and didn't miss out.

1 piston ended up being really badly pitted (car must have sat at some stage, or more water got in because of leaking seals - unsure). The other was not as bad but still replaced both pistons with some fancy new ones.

I have a nice set of R33 rear brakes sitting in storage (hubs, drum etc) - if I had more time I would have had these sent to me and done the R33 upgrade. Fixing the S14 stuff was annoying and costly but at least the car will be back together and I can make the track day.

Cheers