SAU Community

Team Wang Racing Winton Report

Snowman

Just a quick summary on the weekend away up at Winton/Hotham with all the guys from Team Wang Racing.

Woke up at a Stupid Time on Friday morning and after meeting up with the various parties we all made our way down to Winton arriving around 11am I think.

There was a good mix of cars in the team.

Ferni - R33 GTR

Scotsman - R33 GTR

DentonR33 - R33GTST

Scott - MX5

Snowman - MY03 WRX Hatch

Roy - *****

Also along for the day was

Beck

Skylinegeoff

HeathGTST

Now non of us had ever been to Winton before and only Roy and myself had done track days before. Roy and I were able to show that experience because we were the only two idiots to spin! :Oops: But other than that there were no problems on the day. No one came down with Sump Baffle Syndrome and the only real issue for the day was that I managed to turn my Potenza's into no-name brand tyres due to the side wall flex! But I had to go pretty hard to try and keep up with these damn GTR's and Roys *****!

Seriously though - everyone did really well and we all had pretty good fun. Was great to see Paul Stokells Procar Lambo GTR punting around - shame we weren't allowed on track with it cause I reckon I could have taken it in the corners! lol

After the track day on Friday we headed up to Wangarrata for the evening for a pub meal and a snooze before getting up Sat moning and eventually making our way up to Mt Hotham for an afternoon Ski/snowboard session. Both the drive up and drive down were.... interesting. Visability was about 2m!

Damn tastey chinese on the way home in Bright though!

Sunday Scotsman entered his first ever sprint day through NDSOC/MSCA. Morning it was raining - nice way to experience your first sprint session but Chris was doing awesome. Next session was drying fast and Chris was spot on the pace. He was battling it out for first place with a Corvette, an STi, and some kick ass M3. But given his pace I wont be suprised if he won the day - not bad given it was a basically stock GTR (with sticky rubber) on his first ever track weekend.

Great weekend guys and hopefully we can slowly build some more members into Team Wang Racing now that you guys can vouch how easy, safe but most importantly fun it is.

:P

But Chris - when me and Roy get our lines back your going down! haha!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simon - the Friday Winton date doesnt require a CAMS license. Half the guys that came dont have one and were just getting a taste for it. I reckon they might get one soon however.

The Sunday Sprint day does however. To get a CAMS license all you need to do is join a CAMS based club (Like the NDSOC or even shortly SAUVIC) - then apply for a L2S license which is just an anual fee of about $90. No tests or anything.

Scotsman can vouch for this now - the Friday Open days are great value for money in terms of what you need and the cost for the amount of track time you get. But the competition of club sprints is awesome.

would you need a half decent set of semi slicks to be able to put up a decent time? im wondering if i should bother investing in some... only thing is i dont wanna pay for 18inch semis :P

Yeah Ni I would have to say that this was my first time on a track without semi-comps and they are the single biggest item to improve lap times. This was quite noticable between Ferni and Scotsman where the cars were basically the same exept for tyres.

But having said that it was still a lot of fun with normal street tyres. But for example my rex sounded like a blood hound for 80% of the track! lol

Yeah i want to get some stock GTR wheels (or lightweight 17z) and some semi-sicks now :P

was a good weekend but! guys who thought about coming and didn't, you should be kicking yourselves

sounds like you guys had a top time out, its always good when you don't have to get towed home :P

I must try and make the next trek to Winton now I realise there are beers on :P

BTW I totally agree semi slicks are the best thing you can do to improve your times.......and don't buy 18s to put them on, they get very expensive. 17s are fine or even 16s if they fit over your brakes - the sidewalls are so still on these tyres that they hardly flex anyway

Ni - right now is a bad time to find any cheap semi-comps. Normally Trackside or Stuckies have some but there was a fire at the Falken Factory and all of the RE55's are stuck in a container on the docks due to some dispute and so there's nothing around in cheap tyres right now as everyone has grabbed what they can (Ask Scotsman!)

well that sux arse :P

PS. duncan i have 18s on the ceffy so i wont b buying 18inch rims.. and i dont see the point in forking out for a set of 17s plus tyres as that would probably be just the same in price but the 18s will have far less sidewall flex... unless u get a smaller width tyre and put it over a wider rim... jap style.

Yeh good time had by all, though nobody wanted to stay up all night and dribble nonsense after having a few schooies :P

Chris is a freak, the times he was knocking out Sunday were put into perspective by the cars he was up against, firstly they were quick cars and drivers you would think were more experienced, and he was sure to be in the top 3, possibly win if the M3R (comp Rs, gutted with cage, susp etc ect) couldnt improve its time in the last session.

I was driving a top secret prototype race car, :) if you want to find out you will just have to come along to the next track day and see what surprises lay in store.... :)

If you have never been out before, i think Ferni, Denton etc had the idea, dont need pricey/stickey rubber to enjoy yourself, and forget about being fastest, there is always someone with a cheater GTR with cheater tyres...money is better spent on ensuring pads and fluids are up to the job so you can enjoy all the sessions all day. :P

Team Wang Racing !... what a pi55r

inark - i have 18s as well... but stuffed if i'm getting tyres changed every time i want to go to track.. much easier to have a 2nd set of wheels... besides the wheels you won't loose much money on.. can sell them when you sell the car, or had enough of track etc...