SAU Community

Using Trickle Chargers

djvoodoo

I use a 10w solar panel and PR1210L regulator [cost approx $80-100). I made up a small plug at the back up under the number plate and run a wire to the battery.

I don't disconnect my battery or do anything like that. The solar panel is mounted on the carport roof and the wires for it come down the column and exit just about adjacent the the rear of the car.

So simply drive in and plug in. Its a '98 and the battery is in the boot but you could make it work for any position.

Not quite on topic, but sort of relevant.

• Like 1

awesome setup, I think I'll copy it for the ute that lives outside.

those cheapy solar chargers do not work well with good quality (eg AGM) batteries because they don't regulate properly, so while the $80 seems expensive it is actually pretty cheap for that sort of setup

I claim no responsibility for this...

Terry-22_zps8hpd2gyf.jpg

Pat Callinan had the RedArc Relay Management System installed along with the secondary gel battery.

Terry-33_zpsu77odr7o.jpg

And I'm just the beneficiary of buying her. Lucky me.

I probably should add that I have an Odyssey battery in mine. But the solar changer set up should work with any sort of battery..........but pls don't forget your solar panel regulator otherwise you will cook the battery cos on a warm summers day they can run as 20 volts and the reg. keeps this to 12-14 volts.

• Like 1

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Solar-Panel-12V-10W-with-Alligator-Clips-Battery-Charger-GENUINE-SUNTECH-CELLS-/181254244444?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2a3398485c

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PR1210L-12-VOLT-10AMP-AGM-GEL-SOLAR-PANEL-REGULATOR-DEEP-CYCLE-BATTERIES-BATTERY-/321231818550?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4acae88f36

Then wire and either alligator clips or a plug for your battery end.

As an aside I use this same setup on my minidumper and excavator as well. They can be parked out in the paddock for days at a time and in the cold weather that is death to batteries - but with this setup, I turn the key and they go, always charged and ready.

Let me know how you go. If you need any help or more info let me know in msg's and I should answer quicker - cos I get an email notification.

Terry that setup has to be for a second battery and fridge, its way overkill for just the battery alone. You'd need a very good regulator for that one as well cos on a hot day it would be thumping some amps. I'd also check that it doesn't discharge overnight, a lot of the bigger solar panels don't include the blocking doide so what you make during the day gets lost at night or in dark sheds/carparks etc. Just check your voltage after a sunny day and then again in the morning, if its dropped away heaps it means one of two things your battery is cactus or the solar panel setup is discharging. To check that disconnect your battery after a sunny day and again check the voltage if its down heaps its the battery, if its not then its the solar panel set up. A blocking diode costs around $5 at a guess and is an easy fit for just about anyone but needs to be orientated correctly.

And by dropping away overnight, I'm talking from 13 volts down to say 8 volts. Discharge is pretty severe when it happens - thats for your size panel.If the panel is smaller and discharging the rate may be a bit smaller say down to 9-10 volts.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Solar-Panel-12V-10W-with-Alligator-Clips-Battery-Charger-GENUINE-SUNTECH-CELLS-/181254244444?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2a3398485c

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PR1210L-12-VOLT-10AMP-AGM-GEL-SOLAR-PANEL-REGULATOR-DEEP-CYCLE-BATTERIES-BATTERY-/321231818550?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4acae88f36

Then wire and either alligator clips or a plug for your battery end.

As an aside I use this same setup on my minidumper and excavator as well. They can be parked out in the paddock for days at a time and in the cold weather that is death to batteries - but with this setup, I turn the key and they go, always charged and ready.

Let me know how you go. If you need any help or more info let me know in msg's and I should answer quicker - cos I get an email notification.

awesome thank you will definitely be trying this for my self

Terry that setup has to be for a second battery and fridge, its way overkill for just the battery alone. You'd need a very good regulator for that one as well cos on a hot day it would be thumping some amps. I'd also check that it doesn't discharge overnight, a lot of the bigger solar panels don't include the blocking doide so what you make during the day gets lost at night or in dark sheds/carparks etc. Just check your voltage after a sunny day and then again in the morning, if its dropped away heaps it means one of two things your battery is cactus or the solar panel setup is discharging. To check that disconnect your battery after a sunny day and again check the voltage if its down heaps its the battery, if its not then its the solar panel set up. A blocking diode costs around $5 at a guess and is an easy fit for just about anyone but needs to be orientated correctly.

And by dropping away overnight, I'm talking from 13 volts down to say 8 volts. Discharge is pretty severe when it happens - thats for your size panel.If the panel is smaller and discharging the rate may be a bit smaller say down to 9-10 volts.

I really appreciate the time and effort you've spent on my system. Having been installed by Pat Callinan I'd be interested in what ARB has to convey to me about this Redarc Management System wrt how the regulator operates etc.

I only have a bit of knowledge about chemistry but bugger all about electricity.

Oh I should have looked a bit harder the regulator is there next to the battery. Being a good one plus the set up being installed by ppl that know what they are doing I'd say your fine. But its for a fridge or some such for sure, you could put a good quality inverter on that and use power tools as well - either directly or to charge 18v batteries via the 240v charger. We do that with some of our work vehicles.

Anyway having that sort of system is a definiate bonus, you could go 4wding and trekking across the centre with that set up.

• Like 1

I had a ctek trickle charger on mine for years, left both terminals connected due to alarm. Never a problem. Until the charger died with out me knowing and ended up stuffing the d34 optima :(

I've ended up using the Jaycar charger on a digital timer i bought from Bunnings.

Turns on every 2nd day for 45 mins. Has been going good now from when i started this post.

P.S i have an Optima battery too