SAU Community

Rb20 E85 Conversion

I made a thread about turbo selection before and came to the conclusion of a kinugawa td05, should see nice response along with decent overall power and they're relatively cheap and decent quality, however its nice to see a couple more options out there on a budget

Fair enough, i'm well out of the rb20 game now.

Mike, I had a stock series 2 R33 turbo on my old R32, from memory it was almost as punchy in the low revs... and fell over almost as soon in the high revs, only made 174rwkw with a tune. May have been an issue with my decision to go for an ARC side-mount instead of a front mount though. Looking back i really wish i'd put in a kit to measure the air temps before/after the cooler, I bet that they were going crazy but I can't be sure.

You'd need to get some machining done to fit the correct profile, about $150 ish depending on who does it. Note i don't think you can do this for a gtx2860, only a gtx2863, i've run into issues trying to get gtx2860's sorted for gtr suitable comp covers. issue is that gtx2860's are smaller than 2530's (and all of the other gtr style ball bearing comp covers), so you can't exactly machine in extra material

You are confusing GTRs and GTSt. The comp cover can be an issue if you are trying to use std cooler pipes on your GTR with GTX turbo. On a GTSt just use the std GTX compressor cover that comes with the turbo! No machining required!

It's not so much the power I'm after just don't want a turbo that will blow up with more boost in it, the r33 turbos are limited by their ceramic turbine wheels and the r34 turbos by their nylon compressor wheel

Ok, I have an RB20 turbo high flow from Hypergear on my car. First link here is when I got my E85 tune. If I had a biggier fuel pump and injectors I could have made more power.

http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/103095-rb20-turbo-upgrade-all-dyno-results/page-17#entry6577095

I got sick of E85 and living further away from the pump than I used to, so I switched back to 98RON, this is that tune. Didn't have the budget to go flex.

http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/103095-rb20-turbo-upgrade-all-dyno-results/page-20#entry7553653