SAU Community

How Rare Are R33s/r34s In Queensland?

whiskybrah

I live on the gold coast and have only seen an one R34 the 5 years I've been living here. I've also been searching to buy an R34 within this region for a reasonable price but there are rarely any decent condition ones for sale. All the immaculate ones I see are in Melbourne.

Edited by whiskybrah

33 are common as mud in Brisbane, 34 are not as common but by no means rare. They're 13-20 year old cars now and most have been bought by young kids that didn't maintain them and thus they become flogged out. It's very hard to find a good condition 33 and a bit easier but still hard to find a nice 34. The only advice I can give is to keep looking.

Yeah, I've been looking for the past 8 or so months now, of course you get a great one popping up every now and again but I guess its just me becoming impatient, as the last offer I tried to follow up sold within the first 10 minutes of being put on carsales, lol.

If you're going to Sydney to look at a car I'd take someone who knows what to look for with you. The pressure will be on to buy it there and then so you have a way home but you should be prepared to walk away and catch a plane home again.

• Like 1

I did the interstate trip when looking for an R33, car was nothing like the pics and was a dissapointment but live and learn i guess, be prepared for alot of bullshit artists and test drive some cars with good power to compare ...

• Like 1

Cant you go to an import dealer in Brisbane? Look at some skylines fresh from Japan. Im the first Aus owner of my R33, bought it stock as a rock and it was clean as bar some damage to the dash (think the previous owner had something mounted there)

It cost me a little more then going for a private sale but i did end up with Warranty and probably a much better looked after car

Hey mate, I was searching for a clean 34 GTT on the Goldy and surrounding areas for a few months and, ended up travelling down to VIC to pick mine up.

As for spotting wise, they're out there, I see a handful every couple of weeks but 33's are more common that's for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're looking at cars in Sydney or Melbourne, hit up one of the guys from SAU NSW or VIC. They will be able to point you in the direction of somewhere reputable that can do mechanical checks etc and may even know of the car in question. Book a return flight on your first trip down and try and see a couple of cars. That way, the pressure to purchase then and there isn't on. Head back down to drive it up after placing a deposit. Mate sold his BNR34 to a guy in Sydney and that's what they did.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi have an R33 available, still in good nick, I am just in northern suburbs of Brisbane, You are welcome to come and check it out, take a test drive also, no Obligation.

Call Scott 0410091018 to arrange a time.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• People like Johnny Dose Bro might be laughing at my post because I accidentally added 100mm to my numbers. 350-355 is indeed the lower limit. 450 is off-road Skyline spec.
    • What is the "compromise" that you think will happen? Are you thinking that something will get damaged? The only things you have to be concerned about with spherical jointed suspension arms are; Arguments with the constabulary wrt their legality (they are likely to be illegal for road use without an engineering certificatation, and that may not be possible to obtain). A lot more NVH transmitted through to the passengers (which is hardly a concern for those with a preference for good handling, anyway). Greatly increased inspection and maintenance requirements (see above points, both).   It is extremely necessary to ask what car you are talking about. Your discussion on strut tops, for example, would be completely wrong for an R chassis, but be correct for an S chassis. R32s have specific problems that R33/4 do not have. Etc. I have hardened rubber bushes on upper rear control arms and traction rods. Adjustable length so as to be able to set both camber and bump steer. You cannot contemplate doing just the control arms and not the traction arms. And whatever bushing you have in one you should have in the other so that they have similar characteristics. Otherwise you can get increased oddness of behaviour as one bushing flexes and the other doesn't, changing the alignment between them. I have stock lower rear arms with urethane bushes. I may make changes here, these are are driven by the R32's geometry problems, so I won't discuss them here unless it proves necessary. I have spherical joints in the front caster rods. I have experienced absolutely no negatives and only positives from doing so. They are massively better than any other option. I have sphericals in the FUCAs, but this is driven largely by the (again) R32 specific problems with the motion of those arms. I just have to deal with the increased maintenance required. Given how much better the front end behaves with the sphericals in there.....I'd probably be tempted to go away from my preference (which is not to have sphericals on a road car, for 2 of the 3 reasons in the bulleted list above), just to gain those improvements. And so my preference for not using sphericals (in general) on a road car should be obvious. I use them judiciously, though, as required to solve particular problems.
    • Easiest way to know is to break out the multimeter and measure it when cold, then measure all the resistances again once it gets hot enough to misfire. Both the original ignitor and the J Replace version. Factory service manual will have the spec for the terminal measurements.
    • Yes that sounds right. Cars currently in the shop for the engine work. Will need to remeasure .. but yes I think I must be targeting 45cm from fender. 
    • You have your numbers back to front. 350mm from wheel centre to guard lip would be scrapinly low and the suspension arms would be at spastic angles and it would have the road manners of a meth affected giraffe. You can down to ~450mm (from larger stock starting values about 50ish mm higher than that) before you start to create to many problems.