SAU Community

Most Succesful Way To Sell A Skyline?

Heya,

Dudes and Dudettes, just want info from people here who have sold their Skylines or A Skyline at some stage or another and how you did it?? i.e. through SAU or Trading Post or whatever?? So just hoping for type of car, and where you sold it, how long it took and how close the price you wanted was to what you got... Cheers..(Please no whoring about the nitty gritty things!)

sold it through carsales.com.au for within 500 of my asking price.

u will sell it if you are realistic about its value, and dont advertise it for some ridiculous price like i see a lot advertised for (which never sell!)

just put it up for sale at a price which is very close to what u finally want for it, not for a high value thinking that there is more room to negotiate if you know what i mean :P

If its in good condition and you're not in a rush take it to a dealer to sell on consignment. For say 10% of the car's value you'll be amazed how much more they can get for it than you would for a private sale :P

oh, and they have all the grief of test drives, bargaining on price etc etc instead of doing it yourself. Dealers sell cars every day, they know what they are doing....

hahaha I don't think you want to know what some of thoes guys get up to....just if you decide to buy from there get an independant mechanic who knows skylines to have a look at the car :P

As for consignment, I'm sellling mine through Powerplay on Victoria Rd Drummoyne. I know Unique Autosports at Castle Hill also sell a lot like this.

"What sort of dodgy shit"...

As Dunc said, just get someone to check it first, I'm selling my car, thats the reason for this post. heard many a story and seen first hand stuff like, getting out the drive and having the guy walk back saying stuff like "I can smell clutch burn and I accelerate, the smell gets stronger, AND it dont move!"...stuff like that, as well as things like putting dead battery's in AFTER you've taken it for a drive or something...

I sold my R33 last friday.. for about $1000 less than I was hoping (when you take into account i sold it to somebody interstate unregistered, etc)..but otherwise was happy.

formally on the market for about 3 weeks.. mainly internet forums but not too much interest. Then just when I was getting serious with trading post, carsales, etc it sold very quickly. That could have been co-incidence though.

I'd definitely recommend carsales.. $10 until it sells, and gets good traffic. Trading post, just do "pay on sale". Your ad might not grab attention immediately, but if somebody is genuinely after a skyline, they'll scour it until they do see it - but there are many types of buyers.

Internet forum advertising is largely waste of time IMHO - but just put up the pics, specs and history and that will cut 99% of the time wasters. But you never know, I bought the R33 through here, and my r31 thru another forum forsale section. So cars do get sold that way occasionally.

good luck! :cheers:

Internet forum advertising is largely waste of time IMHO - but just put up the pics, specs and history and that will cut 99% of the time wasters. But you never know, I bought the R33 through here, and my r31 thru another forum forsale section. So cars do get sold that way occasionally.

:werd: :werd: :werd: :werd:

The number of people who asked for pics of my car but had no interest in buying amazed me...I still watch car for sale threads and the same people with no intention of buying are still asking for pics :confused:

Well If you really want I'll take it off your hands for free and you won't have any worries or hang ups or people asking you on and on about pics for it.

It also saves you a lot of stress if it doesn't sell quickly or not at all you don't even have to think of a price which only saves you from even more stress, now that's got to be a good thing at least.

Now I'm no carpoint.com.au but hey at least I'm not going to charge you money to give me the car for free, that's saving you money as well.

Do I need to add any more great points as to why my sales stragy works or what? :headspin:

:P

I agree with the person above who said if you are going to try and sell through a forum to make sure you have pics.

Its all the damn picture collectors who have gigabyte upon gigabyte of car pics on there pc who are asking for them. They have no interest in buying, they just want to add another pic to there collection.

I say, if they ask you to e-mail them a pic, ask them to e-mail you a bank balance first. lol

And on that note, for the people who actually come to view the car ask them to bring proof of available funds or dont bother turning up.

..guess thats true also..

I think some have to realise what a bitch it can be from the sellers perspective. Often don't people don't turn up and you're waiting around for hours when you stayed home specifically from other things, people often insult you with prices you know they are just being ridiculous with as they don't have the money, or the picture thing or dreamer aspect.

After you have bought and sold a few cars over the years you probably don't know what its like. I don't think some people really realise how much it can be a saga to sell a car. Sometimes it pays to put yourself in the sellers shoes.

I put my R33 GTS-t up for sale Sunday just gone as a sorta semi-serious sale (all sorta depends on what happens over the next 2-3wks with work, more so who im working for).

Carsales = $10/unlimited and has got me 2,759 views of my small ad (ie the list of all R33 GTS-t cars) and 72 views of my large ad (ie all my pics/car specs/contact details) with no phone calls.

SAU = $n/a/unlimited (if it sells on SAU i'll most certainly donate some $$$) and has got me about ~85 views and 1 phone call.

I've bought my last 2 cars from CarSales.com.au and sold 1 too. Nice site, I like it.

Edit: I'd put my car on consignment however it's my daily driver. I haven't put a for sale sign on the car, waiting till im a bit more serious about it first.

Hi,

I sold my r33 S2 via trading post in December. I advertised it for $27,000, but settled for $25,000. It was a beast, mags, coil overs, 5 gauges in car, I/cooler, boost controller, exhaust etc, 60,000km.

I have not been the same since.

I have been depressed. I miss the car. Nothing drives or comes close. The looks I got in that car and the constant fun I had. It was the best thing ever, but its gone (thanks wife and house) to some guy in adelaide.

I actually heard someone saw my old car, and its been smashed.

I looked after that car so hard, it shinned, gleamed, was well tuned.

He bought it with mummys money, thrashed it, and crashed it!

Just not fair.

Boost King