SAU Community

Street R32 Gtr - Need More Initial Brake Bite/feel?

Hi Guys,

Currently my gtr has Dixcel slotted rotors with Acre Formula 800c pads. I only street drive the car and have been disappointed with the brake feel. there is very little initial bite, and it doesn't give me confidents when driving around town.

It would seem to me that this would be largely due to the pad type being for higher heat applications, and track use.

Which Japanese brand pads would be recommended to remedy this? obviously with as little noise and dust output as possible.

I have seen Endless SSS recommended, is there anything else that would be good?

cheers for the help!

Pad manufacturers usually publish the co-efficient of friction specs for their pads. so just compare those for street pads at street temps, and go with something with the higher number. Or just buy any street pads, they will all have better cold bite than the track pads you have. Give it a good bleed when you change them.

• Like 1

Pad manufacturers usually publish the co-efficient of friction specs for their pads. so just compare those for street pads at street temps, and go with something with the higher number. Or just buy any street pads, they will all have better cold bite than the track pads you have. Give it a good bleed when you change them.

This.

Friction coefficient is the bite of the pad.

Generally speaking, the higher it is the better the bite, however the higher the rotor wear and dust.

A good example of it is Bendix Ultimate pads, 500 Temp rating but touch the pedal and you will be through the windscreen....and 20,000Km later all your rotors will be undersized, rims will turn black every day.

But lets not also forget 1 basic thing, too much bite can be a not so good thing when it comes down to car control when on the limit, controlling brake pedal pressure and car balance can become a issue.

TRW's European made pads compound were good for stopping with a 650 temp rating, lots of street/track day and race car drivers use them today, they were well known for it from back in the late 70's, a good bite but not too aggressive so you had control, those of us who use to play with rally cars back in the day knew the trick of heat cycling them 3 times to burn out the resins and they were good for a lot more, we still get calls for them from track and rally drivers who insist on them.

Remsa pads also come from the TRW plant.

These days i use EBC Yellow stuff pads on all our street cars that see a bit of fun, rated to 900 so no chance of fade, the rotors will shatter before the pads give up, and if i want it to brake harder i use more pedal pressure......

Yeah agree with every one above. Had same brake issue with my r34 gtr with soft peddle and low initial bite. Bang for your buck would be the cusco brake master stopper under 100 bucks, made the biggest difference in feel. But for more feel and also better braking I changed the brake pads to project mu hc800, flushed with new dot 4 fluid, nismo braided lines and noticed much better brake feel and better stopping power. Downside is the cost, lots of brake dust and more brake noise.

He is talking about initial bite around town which is different from how it feels when you are trying to stop really quick. The hoses, stoppers etc help at high pedal pressure but far less so driving around the streets. Mish is on the money looking to pads to fix it. Ultimately the Sumitomo calliper isnt one of the greatest ever, however.

Also the amount of pad dust doesnt really align with many other properties other than maybe price. Eg Bendix ultimates are really dusty. Wear too can be an oddity. A DS2500 pad will wear a rotor out quicker on the back than the front.