SAU Community

C34 Rwd To Awd Conversion Possible ?

ceejay

HI all,

I'm from Sri Lanka. Here we have only 3 or 4 Stageas in the country. None of which are turbo.

If I buy a 2001 C34 Stagea with RB25 and RWD here in Sri Lanka and buy a 25T RS four V in Japan and bring all the parts down, is it a bolt on swap, to install all the AWD and turbo drive line onto the body of the RWD car ?

I know that this swap can be done on the Nissan Avenir which also came in RWD and AWD turbo models.

Is the floor pan and suspension mountings points etc all the same between the RWD and AWD Stageas ?

A lot you may wonder why I simply do not import a complete car from overseas... well in Sri Lanka, we have a law that says we can not import any vehicle over 3 years old.

Vehicle spare parts can be imported for any age of vehicle.

Edited by ceejay

Ok now that you mentioned it and I look at photos of the engine bays of RWD and AWD cars, I do see that the strut towers are very different.

However, I do note that there were a few C34 series 2 versions which were turbo but RWD even though the pinned post on this forum's "buyers guide" says there were never turbo RWD cars in series 2.

May be they were not imported to Australia but they do exist.

I wonder if the RWD turbo and RWD non turbo cars had the exact same strut towers, floor pan, chassis rails etc.

Yes, series 2 rwd turbo stageas.

I don't think there are any non turbo stageas in Australia. I can't see why they would differ.

So yours in non turbo? Look at your front suspension. If it's double wishbone you might be able to convert the car to awd, if it's McPherson strut then your out of luck.

The car I'm looking at buying is non turbo. It has the RB25DE. It is a year 2001 Series 2 C34.

As long as I can convert it to TURBO, im happy. I don't mind if its RWD or AWD.

I want to be able to salvage a RWD Turbo car in Japan, import all the bits and convert mine - direct bolt in swap.

Converting a DE to a DET is fairly straightforward. You will need the ecu and loom as well as everything else. You can turbo the DE engine but better if you have the whole DET engine.

2WD to AWD is a non starter

Thank you both for your input.

what I want to do is not so much install a turbo onto my engine or install a turbo engine into my car.

What I want to do is to find a factory original RWD Turbo Stagea in Japan, strip it (because we can not import a body shell into Sri Lanka) bring down all the parts and do a full conversion onto my body shell.

I want to basically strip my car to a bare body shell and install every thing from the Japanese car, onto my shell.

I have a big automotive workshop and we do collision repairs etc so doing this work is not a problem.

What I want to establish, is that it is possible to transplant everything from a RWD Turbo Stagea onto the body shell of my RWD non turbo Stagea.

Engine and transmission is easy - manual trans would be a bonus but almost everything else is the same so no point in changing it all. Turbo should have better brakes which should just bolt on (and maybe bigger master cylinder). The turbo may have an LSD and maybe stronger axles. It may have a bigger (thicker) radiator. That's about all I can think of.