SAU Community

Qns on the Silvia S15 / 200 SX

mcdare

Hi guys, I'm kinda new here and its really amazing to see sucha vibrant online community of skyline enthusiasts! I've been readin' all yer posts and learnt quite a bit 'bout the car in particular.

Much betta than reading "Skylines for dummies".

Anyhow, I've got some questions myself, and I hope to get'em answered by the more seasoned, experience racers.. opps.. enthusiasts...

You people. :P

Qns 1: I've thinkin' of gettin' a S15 Silvia... also known as the 200SX over at queensland early next year when i move there. How much is a 2000-2001 model going for? IT will be better if it is a JDM.

Ok, say it goes for AUD$29500, that brings me to qns number 2.

Qns 2: What is the depreciation rate for such cars over there? are the rates fixed across the country? or fluctuantes between states? How much value in terms of money does the car "lose" per annumn?

Finally, my final qns.

Qns 3: Which insurance company is the most reliable, resonable one over there? and whats the road tax for this car?

Thanks and hoping to hear from you guys soon!

cheers

darren josh.

...I'm thinkin' of gettin' a S15 Silvia... (also known as the 200SX) in Queensland early next year when i move there [from Singapore]

This dude is ESL... give him a break.. lah

hehe skylines for dummies

go to carsales.com.au for a rough price on the s15...anywhere from 25k-40k ive seen...the more expensive ones are the spec r gt's and stuff with all options and the bigger rear wing etc

thats all i know...think its right :(

Aces.

Thanks for the replies guys.

pentae: its called the silvia s15 here in singapore, cuz its all JDM or something. with the lovely lightning badge on the hood.

Gojira: wats ESL and are you singaporean?

Fro-Daddy: Thanks for the link, and I've scouted that web site ealier on. I was thinkin' the prices might vary from there and those in 2nd-hand car show rooms or classifieds.

But there are a few qns that have yet to be answered,

1st: What is the road tax over there? and does it differ between states?

2nd: What is the depreciation rate?

3rd: Recommend a reputable insurance company that provides reasonably-priced rates.

Thanks again!

ESL = English as a Second Language, I was saying that people should accept some small mistakes in your English :(

I used to live in Hong Kong and a lot of my friends were from Singapore so I can speak a bit of Singlish :)

Anyway, this is a list of the fees for registering a car in QLD.

Yes it does differ from state to state, many people with Ferraris and Porsches register their cars in QLD to save on stamp duty...

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/faqs.ns...8e?OpenDocument

Deped

Right. :(

Thanks for the website dude!

Btw, it only has the list of registration fees and not any other misc costs to owning a vehicle, i.e: road taxes.

So Is there anyway to enquire or search for the complete breakdown of road taxes?

Btw, I'm EFL. :)

I'm a lazy bum when I write in forums, pls pardon the grammatical errors. :wassup:

hey mcdare,

welcome to SAU.

1. road tax

we don't have to pay lots of money in road tax like in singapore, germany, etc. because polluting is okay down here in oz ;) i am speaking from what i pay in NSW it would be similar in QLD.

a. car registration approx. A$200/yr. it is illegal to drive without this

b. 3rd party insurance, depends on your age/etc but could cost you about $400-800/yr. again, it is illegal to drive without this. if you crash into someone else, it pays for THEIR repairs

c. comprehensive car insurance also depends on your age/etc. you can be paying between $1500 to $4000/yr depending on your age and thigns. this is not required, unless you get a car loan. but if you crash into someone and it's your fault, their car gets fixed but you have to pay for your own repair. you can shop around for this and you get dramatically different quotes depending on how big/small the insurance company is and how good your driving record is.

2. petrol is a consideration. we pay approx. A$1/per litre here for the "best" petrol (98 ron), i would imagine prices in QLD are cheaper.

3. depreciation is a consideration. imports are harder to sell than local cars. but your s15 200sx was a locally delivered car, whereas the skyline (well, the decent ones) are imported.

hope the info helps you out.

Hey tim! Thanks fer the reply. :rolleyes:

1. road tax

we don't have to pay lots of money in road tax like in singapore, germany, etc. because polluting is okay down here in oz :)  i am speaking from what i pay in NSW it would be similar in QLD.

Is there even sucha thing as road tax? apparently, everyones saying that road tax is inexistant and oz drivers only need to pay for the insurance coverage and registration? (not to mention petrol too!)

comprehensive car insurance also depends on your age/etc. you can be paying between $1500 to $4000/yr depending on your age and thigns. this is not required, unless you get a car loan.  

Sorry, but i don't really understand this. Are you saying that a comprehensive car insurance in only required if i get a car loan?

Again... Thanks for the info!

hey mcdare,

some clarifaction..

1. yep, we don't have road tax at all!

2. comprehensive car insurance (which covers YOUR DAMAGE if it's your fault) is optional EXCEPT when you get a secured car loan.

secured car loan means you are borrowing the money from a bank/etc specifically for a car (as opposed to an unsecured loan which you can use the money for).

the reason why people get secured loans instead of unsecured loans is that they have a lower interest rate (because your car is collateral), and obviously the reason you have to have comp. insurance is so the bank is guaranteed to always have that collateral.

ALSO, comp. car insurance is always more expensive if you have a loan. don't quite know why, just is. on my car alone, the difference between a loan from a bank and a "non-bank financial institution" (i.e. credit union) was like $400/yr!!!

make sense?

welcome Mcdare to sau

there are a few insurance companies you could try

Just Cars

Young And Cool

Famous

check these guys out, Just Cars i do recommend them i found them to be the best