SAU Community

Report that engine failure

GTRgeoff

See, this is why I still come here. Actual info/feedback. Awesome.

Ahh, that makes sense re filter now that I think about it.

So, still my fault, as I kept thrashing with excessive blowby 😆. The top of the pistons are "black"

I need to update this with some photos.

Is there a direct correlation between compression and blowby? I.e I didn't think 150ish compression was bad. (Even though the FSM quotes compression to be 174psi/300rpm)

The restrictors/head studs etc was in prep for the elite 2500+ flex sensor install, so still going ahead, just need to sort out the bottom end first.

Rabbit hole well and truly breached... haha.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CEF33Y said:

Is there a direct correlation between compression and blowby? I.e I didn't think 150ish compression was bad. (Even though the FSM quotes compression to be 174psi/300rpm)

Kind of, one of the many factors. Any motor will have some combustion gases escape the combustion process and end up in the crank case. The more boost, the more that effect is exacerbated and that pressure generally is relieved by flowing into the head and out of the cam cover breathers.

This is why you often see big RB setups with catch cans as big as their sumps, RBs love to breathe and the only way that pressure escapes is out of the cam cover breathers OR if you have a sump vent into a catch can.

It's not uncommon to see a catch can have a catch can -> sump drain, sump vent, 2x cam cover fittings going into it. Meanwhile some random 2JZ or 1JZ with 700kW runs a $30 eBay catch can and it's dry lol.

15 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Kind of, one of the many factors. Any motor will have some combustion gases escape the combustion process and end up in the crank case. The more boost, the more that effect is exacerbated and that pressure generally is relieved by flowing into the head and out of the cam cover breathers.

This is why you often see big RB setups with catch cans as big as their sumps, RBs love to breathe and the only way that pressure escapes is out of the cam cover breathers OR if you have a sump vent into a catch can.

It's not uncommon to see a catch can have a catch can -> sump drain, sump vent, 2x cam cover fittings going into it. Meanwhile some random 2JZ or 1JZ with 700kW runs a $30 eBay catch can and it's dry lol.

Tell me about it! My brother has a 2jz JZX 90, and runs pretty much a single breather hose into an always empty coke bottle. 

I'd never thought much about the oil being forced though the valve stems into the combustion chamber. 

I think while I'm welding the head drain/vent fitting to the sump, I might add another couple of fittings for some more vents.

5 minutes ago, CEF33Y said:

I'd never thought much about the oil being forced though the valve stems into the combustion chamber. 

It shouldn't normally be much of a problem. But, add high crankcase pressure to a moderately worn set of valve guides and you can get a bit going through. Valve stem seals used to be (mainly, in the mostly NA days) a throttle off thing, where the high vacuum in the cylinders would pull oil through the worn guides. Now, we have mucho boosto to help and we can get it on throttle.

Edited by GTSBoy

5 minutes ago, CEF33Y said:

I think while I'm welding the head drain/vent fitting to the sump, I might add another couple of fittings for some more vents.

Since you're going tits out, I would suggest this:

• head drain/vent (make sure the drain is above the sump oil line, if not it is pointless
  • the biggest catch can you can fit
  • sump breather to catch can
  • catch can to sump drain
  • decent sump that's baffled, the Aeroflow ones look decent (ignoring the brand)

Silly RB will push oil into the catch can and it will just flow back into the sump. Happy days!