SAU Community

Report that engine failure

GTRgeoff

DONT DRIVE IT

if you have low oil pressure you will completely destroy the engine. Get it trailered to a workshop so they can get an aftermarket oil pressure gauge on there.

Make a thread in forced induction and people will help you, dont post in here anymore.

Edited by Rolls

ok i did a engine flush and oil change and instead of putting motoul turbo light 10w40 im going thicker as maybe thiner burning out too quickly dunno and goin 10w50 thicker oil and fully synthectic, thin when cold thicker when hot, see what happen in few month oil pressure back to normal, oh had no oil maybe thinking oil burnt out because of blocked cat befor. pump is ok switch is ok,

edit

woops sorry to post in here again lolz

Edited by BRUNSKIGTST

• 3 weeks later...

got my current blow up

a31 cefiro with rb25det.

complete rebuilt,arp everything, genuine gaskets etc, fmic,gt35r,std ecu and injectors.

currently have oil on top of 2 pistons,can see detonation on all the other pistons.

just turned the fuel pressure up, not to worried if it blows got a forged motor to go in.

RB25det rebuilt, used standard sump, n1 pump, no restrictors = problems.

All forged engine. Didnt go bang i removed it cause i was scared about the crank collar not being done. caught it in time. bearings were absolutely totalled.

Was running approx 280-290 rwkw for 8000kms. Alot of big numbers on hot days (45+ degrees)

Now i have 7.5 litre custom sump with baffles and gates, tomei pump, blueprinted crank, the whole lot and currently running in. I hope nothing goes wrong this time i really do.

• 4 weeks later...

R32 GTR

failure-oil pump (that old chest nut!)

Number 6 bearing was f**ked from no oil

reason for failure-driver (me) being a dickhead to many limiter launches

Due to not having time took me a year to pull motor out replace pump and bearing and put a rear wheel drive switch in it and motor back in

Things learnt- how to remove a gtr engine,how to replace internal parts, and not to be as much of a dickhead!

• 3 weeks later...

I brought a R33 GTR about two months ago. I noticed the A/C belt shredding so I got a leaver and pried the crank pulley back and foward and noticed alot of crank end float.

I had the motor stripped to notice crank thrust bearings have been half worn on one side only as well as a couple of spun main bearings.

Car made 450kw on 28 psi on e85 but the oil catch can used to fill up with oil and water every 1500kms

Motor was built about 10000 kms ago

Oil pump: Tomei

Sump: standard

Clutch: twin plate exedy

Oil return line from head to sump.

Need help what could have caused the problem and what mods to do this time to ensure this does not happen again.

Thanks guys

• 2 weeks later...

First failure

1992 Skyline GTR

Siezed engine

Mods: full exhuast, apexi pods, twin plate clutch, coilovers

I have no idea what oil

Was drving from Melbourne to Albury and experienced a lack of power and a pretty sweet grinding noise coming from the engine. Turns out there was no water in the radiator and the engine had seized up. Funny thing is water temp Guage didnt move from its normal position. Inspected the radiator and the drain plug had been removed ( not sure if some one was playin silly buggers with me or by some unfortunate event the thing came out)

SECOND FAILURE

1989 Skyline GTR

Lost all compression in sixth, stripped down the engine and turned out to be an broken piston ring land

Engine was rebuilt with standard internals and had done about 10,000km

Mods: Apexi FC, GT lemans turbos, full exhuast, nismo clutch, apexi air filters, nismo 550 injectors, N1 pump, N1 water pump, tomei sump baffle

Power 285RWKW

Oil: Royal purple changed every 5 thousand, though i did only 2 oil changes in the time i had the car

Suspension: Racing logic coil overs, Federal 595 265/35/18

CAUSE: NOT TOO SURE MAYBE SOME ONE COULD HELP ME OUT WITH THAT ONE, looks like the cylinder got mega hot and possibly grapped the side of the bore as it felt like there was a bit of scuffing in the bore

More on this. Found out the fuel pump was only receiving 9v to the pump, therefore the mix has leaned out. 6 being atthe back and having the tendency to get hotter then the other cylinders as decided to shit itself.. Did look like the piston has grabbed the wall causeing the ring lands to fall to peices

• 3 weeks later...

Engine/Car: R32

Type of failure: shot number 4 and 5 out

Factors influencing the failure: leaking water pump, ran out of water atleast 5 times, engine stopped atleast 3 of thoes times, lack of oil change for a year with around 25,000 without a serivce, limiter bashed all its life

State of tune of the engine: stocky on 1bar

General comments: I had a RB25 sitting ready too go in, just wanted too see how long the engine would last with it cooking so many times and no servicing, very impressed lol, Rb25 gets serviced every 5k on the dot!

• 1 month later...

Engine/Car: R32 GTR 1993

Type of failure: Spun 3+4 bearing

Factors influencing the failure: oil pump had a crack going through the gear (hasnt been opened yet but i assume the gears will fall into afew pieces), uphill revving to 9000rpm in 2nd then 3rd gear pushed all oil away from pickup. started to hear a huge knocking in the motor. drove it home at low revs with no knocking sound.

State of tune of the engine: stock ecu stock fuel system, running 18psi on HKS 2540s.

General comments: glad that it happened so i can now see whats inside, basically a stock motor with a excellent condition head. will now be getting the works. tomei pump, forged rods forged pistons, new crank, 8-9L sump with oil drain from head to sump.

note: NEVER believe what previous owner tells you, i apparently had forgies haha. always try viewing pics of their build ect.

• 3 weeks later...

Nissan skyline R33 GTST Series II

Engine: RB25DET

Failure: Blue smoke coming out of the exhaust, turbo healthy , so it was the Ringland. Also Cold startup problem and Rich and Retard problem , Full tank would last me 200Kms.

Reason : Tuned by Some guy in Sydney , Piggy back removed and ECU was mostly disconnected.

Resolution: Car is now getting another engine with full harness , ECU and Stock R33 engine is 90K on clock . Changing timing belt at the same time.

• 5 weeks later...

I thought I posted in here but I guess not!

Engine/Car: R33 Skyline RB25DET

Type of failure: Oil pressure loss

Factors influencing the failure: The hotter the engine got, the lower oil pressure would be. Seemed to get worse each time I did an event and it finally gave up at Wakefield.

State of tune of the engine: Tuned by Grim performance when I bought it, seemed to be a safeish tune ... ran rich.

Oil used and service interval: Varies, didn't have the car for long

General comments: Never found the source of the problem. probably had no rings or something lol.

Engine failure two!

Engine/Car: Same car, REBUILT! RB25

Type of failure: Solid camshafts in hyrdalic head, broken tensioner bolt, destroyed head components.

Factors influencing the failure: A dumbass "mechanic" Alistair from Powerplay/Hyperform built this abortion of an engine, I later found out that there weren't items in the engine that I was told would be used (I.E ARP head studs). Infact, they used my OEM head bolts off my old engine! The bolt used was not designed to take the loads of a tensioner ... it was a bolt from bunnings.

State of tune of the engine: Tip top tune from Micks Motorsports

Oil used and service interval: Run in on mineral oil then used 15-50 Nulon synthetic

General comments: So many dodgy things on this engine that Anthony (Dahtone Racing) and I needed to fix. Funny thing is once we fixed it all, it made decent power (315kw at 15PSI E85). It was after the tune when Anthony tried to drive it back to the shop is when the tensioner bolt let go.

Two months later I finally got a refund out of the prick, and I'm on my way to building another engine for the car. Third time lucky right?

• 3 months later...

GTRgeoff - Ok not an engine failure, well not yet anyway! Sent in a sample from my GTR after only 3000km from oil change. The results have freaked me out particularly the bit about possible piston wear. I guess she ain't new anymore but I am not sure what I should be doing about it any ideas welcome (yes I'm looking for suggestions such as 'she'll be right don't worry about it'. See my report here GTR sample :yucky:

It looks almost exactly like my report, I wonder if they copy and paste. lol. My engine is still going a year later... I suspect they don't take into account high revving boosted applications will have more wear than an old mining diesel engine.

I was using a grade 5 oil and dropped it at 4000k's for testing. Still have some of that GW Sougi 6000 laying about too... :)

Hope I don't have to post in this thread again for a while.

Engine/Car: RB20DET foged pistons, full rebuild, A31 Cefiro

Type of failure: spun bearing

Factors influencing the failure: car had blown a headgasket previous event, did 2 laps with no water, couldve contributed?

State of tune of the engine: not overly pushing it, 20psi, TD06, nisstune, hks cams, injectors, pump fuel, 280kw

Oil used and service interval: motul 10/40

General comments:

92b08435.jpg

e001a25d.jpg

676ba4f4.jpg

3d7f3c9a.jpg

26358a6e.jpg

c71db97f.jpg

Edited by Kris..

• 2 months later...

Engine/Car: R31/RB25DET

Type of failure:

Cracked piston oil glands in cylinder 2 and 4 (or maybe it was 5)

Factors influencing the failure:

Not really sure as the car was fine when it was running the stock turbo at 11 psi.

Once I upgraded the turbo to a Hypergear G3 it lasted a month. 18psi was probably major factor as well as not really knowing the history of the engine.

no sign of leaning out

State of tune of the engine:

tune was a month old, had it done after i fitted a Hypergear G3 etc.

Suspension and tyres:

bc Coilovers, Cheap bobjane tyres

Oil used and service interval:

Motul 15w, changed regularly

General comments:

It let go when I was at the drags, I wasn't going to hard on it cos I was still monitoring it and making sure everything was ok.

blow by was a massive issue once I fitted that turbo. Though it was still drivable it was burning oil because of low comp in #2.

Lessons learned:

leave it stock unless you're prepared to spend $$$ chasing power.

Engine/Car: R31/RB25DET

General comments:

It let go when I was at the drags, I wasn't going to hard on it cos I was still monitoring it and making sure everything was ok.

blow by was a massive issue once I fitted that turbo. Though it was still drivable it was burning oil because of low comp in #2.

so it was having blowby issues before and during putting the G3 and tune on?

If so the motor was already troubled before chasing power?