SAU Community

Report that engine failure

GTRgeoff

Engine/Car: rb26dett / r32 gtr

Type of failure: 141klm on the motor - head warped and cracked. block cracked between head bolts and oil galleries.

Factors influencing the failure: radiator failed on the race track. cooked the motor real good

State of tune of the engine: standard, being run in

Suspension and tyres: n/a

Oil used and service interval: never made it off the first oil change

General comments: don't always assume stuff from china is crap and doesn't fit. sometimes it would fit perfectly if you got the right part in the right box

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Engine/Car: 1990 r32 gtr

Type of failure: number 6 piston broken

Factors influencing the failure: Not sure, probably too much power for std engine.

State of tune of the engine: 307rwkw on 90k unopened motor (18psi) on HKS GT-SS turbos

Suspension and tyres: bilstein with eibach springs

Oil used and service interval: Redline Oil 10W-40, Just serviced

General comments: Car was completely stock before tune. Signs of neglect due to thick gungy oil found in stock turbos, motor may have been weakened over time and the extra power tipped it over the edge.

It was tuned by one of the best here in vic, but i'll see how the other cylinders look soon enough. No.6 cylinder came to 0psi when compression tested, and the car still starts, just doesn't liked to be revved. :D

• 3 months later...

Engine/Car:

RB20 A31 cefiro

Type of failure: broken ringlands on piston #3 and #1...

possible valve seals on god knows what pistons.. oil mania

Factors influencing the failure:

holding a 3rd gear slide at mallala with the full face helmet and experiencing my first taste of detonation

State of tune of the engine: 3 inch turbo to tip zorst no cat no mufflers, pod, r34 smic, bleed valve set at 13psi.

Suspension and tyres: full tein s13 coil overs, random treads

Oil used and service interval: mobil 1 10w50 i think

General comments: warmish day at mallala.. bit to excited with my first time on the track..

bets fun of my life sliding while not worrying about police..

now that motor is f**ked.. 70% threw rb25/30 build :banana:

yeeooww

• 1 month later...

Oh good point I have missed one:

Engine/Car: rb26dett / r32 gtr

Type of failure: 600 klm and 1.5 race meets this time

Factors influencing the failure: the crack in the oil gallery in the block might have led to low oil pressure. In turn 1 at Eastern Creek. At 8,200 revs. Oops. Oil pressure was never high enough in that motor and got worse when it was hot.

State of tune of the engine: standard except for cam gears and computer.

Suspension and tyres: bilsteins, yoko a048r. It was pulling good gs at the time :cool:

Oil used and service interval: well it was only 600klm old so I hadn't moved off the run in oil - penzoil 10w50 mineral oil. changed 3 times in 600klm

General comments: hmmm...when I say "check the block out" to a machine shop, I mean it. On the bright side they paid for the new motor which to be fair is all (or more) than you could ever expect. especially since it died on the race track.

Engine/Car/Year/K's: RB26 GTR33 96 140K

Type of failure: Bent crank

Factors influencing the failure: Age and pushing stock bottom end.May have been unbalanced for a long time.

State of tune of the engine: 290AWKW,s,-5 Turbo's,Poncams,700cc injectors,PFC,AVCR always set at 1.1Bar.

Bottom end: Stock

Suspension and tyres: Ohlins ,K104 Ventus

Service intervals: 5k to 7K

Always was worried about the bottom end when pushing higher numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

This happend 12 months ago but any way:

Engine/Car:R33 RB25DET

Type of failure: Snapped conrod on 1st piston, smashed piston 1 into metal shavings, punched holes in the cylender walls.

Factors influencing the failure: Engine had a long and hard life.

State of tune of the engine: SAFCII tuned 220RWKW, 18psi.....

Suspension and tyres: big ones...

Oil used and service interval: HPR15, every 5000km

General comments: Pulled the engine down and it was a huge mess.... other conrods looked like they had hairline fractures aswell... RB25DETs dont have the strongest conrods.

Edited by Finny

I never thought i would be posting in here but here i go:

Engine/Car:RB25DET

Type of failure: Smashed pistons and valve train

Factors influencing the failure: Timing belt too tight and was not checked. Snapped the idler pulley shaft.

State of tune of the engine:

CP pistons(9.0:1CR) 20thou over

Spool rods

Cometic 1.2mm MLS head gasket

Nissan gasket kit

Tomei valve springs

Tomei 256 Poncams

Tomei oil gallery restrictor

JUN crank collar

Custom head to sump oil drain

N1 oil pump

Greddy plenum

Greddy throttle adapter

Nismo 740c injectors

Nismo fuel pump

Nismo engine mounts

ARP head,main,rod and exhaust studs

ACL Race series main and rod bearings

Splitfire coils

GT3037 .82 turbo (has the slotted cover for that T51r sound)

GCG Stainless highmount manifold

Turbosmart 38mm Ultragate

All controlled by a Haltech E11v2.

Suspension and tyres: Stock suspension, sitting on 19s.

Oil used and service interval: Motul Turbolite 4100

General comments: Engine was running excellent and produced easy power with no stress. Just sucks that a cheap and overlooked part caused this big mess.

Engine is currently being rebuilt with new pistons, all new valve train ect ect

Engine/Car:R33 RB25DET engine 1

Type of failure: clutch kicked 3rd, snapped engine mount, engine lifted, ripped off boost controller, free boosted smashed 3 pistons

Factors influencing the failure: too shorter hose on boost controller!!!

State of tune of the engine: SAFCII tuned to 172 rwkw

Engine/Car:R33 RB25DET Engine 2

Type of failure: 0 compression on 6

Factors influencing the failure: throttle stuck open, couldnt unstick had to turn off car, everything up the shit trying to turn corner..bad scenario.

State of tune of the engine: stockie wrecker engine, std computer

Third time lucky...so they say...

• 3 weeks later...

This has been Heart and Wallet breaking. :)

GET RID OF YOUR CERAMIC TURBOS (especially if running higher boost).

Engine/Car: 1993 R32 GTR

Type of failure: Ceramic turbine failure leading to ceramic dust being blown through the engine (all cylinders have some dust), knackered rings, scratched/gouged bores and ceramic dust crushed into quench zone in cylinders 4,5 and 6. That's right, the block, pistons, rings and head are all damaged as well as one dead turbo.

Factors influencing the failure: Ceramic turbos well past their 'service'/replacement date. NO EXTRA BOOST (in my ownership at least)

State of tune of the engine: Dead stock standard engine. Highflow cat, kiakamoto 3.5inch exhaust, pipercross filter. Nothing special.

Suspension and tyres: Irrelevent.

Oil used and service interval: Mobil 1 every 5000km religiously.

General comments: An especially painful turbo/engine failure necessitating a full rebuit and new turbos, very expensive. My advice: don't run higher than 13psi on stock turbo's as this is the service limit according to the workshop manual. Also 'service' or replace at the 100,000 interval. I ran stock boost specifically to avoid this kind of failure but it still happened. Just get rid of the ceramic turbos if you can.

It should also be noted that my oil pump drive showed signs of significant wear... :O

post-37041-1225853269_thumb.jpg

post-37041-1225853346_thumb.jpg

Engine/Car: 1994 R33 GTST with R32 RB26

Type of failure: Broken ring land and slight meltage of No6 piston

Factors influencing the failure: Revving to 8000rpm and a 32deg day lol

State of tune of the engine: Trust 3.5in full exhaust, Djetro, FMIC, 11psi and 245rwkw and 610Nm of torque

Suspension and tyres: Cusco Camber, toe and castor rods, G4 Coilovers

Oil used and service interval: Motul Turbolight 4100 (3000km)

General comments: Every day for about a year or so, revving hard for drifting, drag and circuit, she finally cried enough. Was doing 12.89 at 114mph with shithouse 2.4sec 60ft times haha 3rd run of the day and away she went. Did sound good hitting 8000rpm limiter though :banana: