Oil used and service interval: Motul every 5000km

General comments: Own fault

Engine/Car:R33 GTR Rb26

Type of failure: Ring lans

Factors influencing the failure: don't know

State of tune of the engine: GT2530's std everything else

Suspension and tyres:std

Oil used and service interval: don't know

General comments: Bought car with blown motor, most likely popped from to much boost and no supporting tune.

Engine/Car:R33 GTR RB26

Type of failure: Gugeon pins out the side

Factors influencing the failure: engine builder incompetence. Press fitted pins instead of floating

State of tune of the engine:300rwkw

Oil used and service interval: Motul 300v

General comments:engine was 350km's old, oil temps went through the roof and lots of smoke.

Engine/Car: R33GTR RB27

Type of failure: 24 bent valves

Factors influencing the failure: snapped idler pulley belt. Greddy timing belts shrink when hot

State of tune of the engine: 360rwkw

Oil used and service interval: Motul Le mans 24hr

General comments: travelling at 10kmph engine lights came on, pulled over and cranked motor with oil cap off to watch the cams.......bugger

lesson: Don't get an engine built by StM@$y's Engines. Tighten Heavy duty timing belts slightly less and renew the idler pully bolt with the timing belt....do not over tighten.

post-2338-1150976757.jpg

post-2338-1150976790.jpg

post-2338-1150976855.jpg

post-2338-1150976892.jpg

Engine/Car: R32 GTR with RB26DETT

Type of failure: Timing belt tensioner collapsed

Factors influencing the failure: Freak accident

State of tune of the engine: 210awkw

Suspension and tyres: Lowered Springs and 17's

Oil used and service interval: Motul Turbolite, every 5000ks

General comments: Absolutely gutted. Tensioner failed, skipped 40million teeth and the pistons ate my valves. Belt was 40000k's old and besides the cuts and nicks now in it looked new.

Engine/Car: R32 GTR with RB26DETT

Type of failure: main bearings shredded, particularly 3 and 4

Factors influencing the failure: hmmm.. it was an oil starvation problem.. either my oil pump has failed or the remote filter/cooler has blocked.

State of tune of the engine: was on the dyno getting tuned at the time ~215awkw

Suspension and tyres: whiteline kit and azenis rt215

Oil used and service interval: was using shell oil changed every 5000

Engine/Car: R33gtst

Type of failure: Rings in no.6

Factors influencing the failure: big laggy turbo and being thrashed

State of tune of the engine: 250rwkw

Suspension and tyres: stamdard

Oil used and service interval: castrol formula r (before edge)

General comments: Too hard a life at 99k kms it decided to give up the puff. dont put a big laggy crap turbo on an engine and expect it to go very long.

Damn, just went through a few pages here and it seems theres a few R32 GTR's going lately :dry:, doesnt make me feel very good with loudly ticking injectors (no idea why they are so loud) and a few engine heartbeat skips every now and then. I have 228rwkw from my GTR but it did have a rebuild about 25,000kms ago so hopefully I am not in for a rebuild myself soon.

Good luck with all the rebuilds, this is a good read for future reference

• 3 weeks later...

Hey could someone help. I've a problem with a R34 GT non turbo. While I started my car my friend was wanting to look under the bonnet. So pop it goes. Once up I stupidly was looking at the air meter and unhooked the air meter and the engine started to choke and sounded weird so I swithched the engine off. Now it won't start ;) can anyone tell me what happened? Im desperate.

Hey could someone help. I've a problem with a R34 GT non turbo. While I started my car my friend was wanting to look under the bonnet. So pop it goes. Once up I stupidly was looking at the air meter and unhooked the air meter and the engine started to choke and sounded weird so I swithched the engine off. Now it won't start :) can anyone tell me what happened? Im desperate.

Unplug it and spray it with some conductive spray and then put it back in. Might have been some corosion on it or something that you disloged.

So it kicks over but doesnt fire?

Anyway might be best if you make a seperate thread for this so not to clog this thread up.

• 1 month later...

Oh gosh, i was/ am currently looking for a neat r32 GTR but after reading this i dont think i want one anymore. The frightening thing is that even the helthy cars sound like they are blowing! What chance does one have of purchasing such a car and driving it how they like?

There is such a array of monor problems that end up being fatal, it seems impossable to drive a car of this calaber with confidence.

So far things to check:

Newish turbos

Regular servicing

Oil pressure

Fuel pressure

Any thing els????

I got a heavy foot and love to have a good time but not at this expense. Looks like a trip back to the mitsus for me.

Oh gosh, i was/ am currently looking for a neat r32 GTR but after reading this i dont think i want one anymore. The frightening thing is that even the helthy cars sound like they are blowing! What chance does one have of purchasing such a car and driving it how they like?

There is such a array of monor problems that end up being fatal, it seems impossable to drive a car of this calaber with confidence.

So far things to check:

Newish turbos

Regular servicing

Oil pressure

Fuel pressure

Any thing els????

I got a heavy foot and love to have a good time but not at this expense. Looks like a trip back to the mitsus for me.

Any performance car will be expensive, maybe look at just some GTS-Ts they can still be very quick. If not look for one with a rebuilt engine.

Has anyone heard this sound before, or would hazard a guess as to what it is.

I have since learned what it was and has cost me a fair bit.

Any takers ?

El Bee

ps It was revving high before this problem, something we will get to eventually.

pps The noise wasn't there one day and appeared the next.

Clunk_12.wmv

Whatever you do dont start it again until you know what the problem is, something internal which will probably get worse and cost more if you run it.

Agreed. We didn't do anything but arrange to get it towed and fixed.

She is purring again now but it did cost. Just wondering if anyone knows, or can guess, what it was.

El Bee

Stuffed lifter?

I should add my feedback on my experiences I guess:

1st RB26DETT: Stock 15 year old motor, ~120,000km

WSID drag strip - had just run a 12. Second run small launch, got to the top of 3rd gear and the oil pressure light came on - bad news. Shut it off at the top of 3rd and coasted over for a 12.5 .. motor needed rebuild, had not spun a bearing yet but was in bad shape. Ended up selling the motor for a 2nd hand rebuilt motor.

May be important to note that in the months upcoming this failure the oil pressure (stock) gauge was playing up, occasionally going to zero. I can only assume this was early warning to the failure....

2nd RB26DETT - N1 spec bottom end, metal HG, cams, T04Z. ~10,000km on motor.

Another oil pump failure at high revs ~8000rpm, the oil pressure light came on and that was the end of that oil pump. It'd almost literally cracked in half - the theory is that the balancer was not properly balanced, and the combination of (over time) hitting the rev limiter with such ferrocity resulting in the crank (JUN crank collar) rocking back&forward and therefore the resulting failure. Any alternate theories welcome!

Was no warning with this one - was running perfect one day ~500rwhp and the next day broken. Pulled the motor down and it was in good condition, could've put it back together with a new oil pump and driven away, or at minimum new bearings & rings. Decided for a full build and sold the car before it ever got a big power tune after run in...

Thanks Morgs, but not it (although that was one of the possible scenarios given).

The car (R33 GTSt) is a daily driver and was perfect one day and stuffed the next, and had only been tested a couple of times on the strip months before (with ordinary results).

El Bee

Big end. But it has been a while since I had one go.

You say high revving but it idles smooth so not a valve, too loud for valve train noise anyway it seems, always hard from a video, but high load on an ageing bearing can cause sudden noise. Even with a stethoscope my big end failure was hard to pick, sounded more to me like a gouged cam lobe but was a very similar noise.

I was thinking it was down low but the mechanic said that he had heard it a couple of times before on RB's.

Turned out to be valve guides.

Running quiet again now. :P

Still has the fast cold idle but that is a separate issue for the tuner when we can get back to Sydney.

Enjoy!

El Bee

I honestly think there is nothing wrong or weak about R32 RB26.

I have one myself for the last two years, been through a few track days, plenty of drags....ect and never miss a beat. I really think as long as you service and mantain if properly, they will be fine.

Offcourse not to extract too much power out of them too.

Engine/Car: R33 Nissan Skyline Gtst, standard RB25

Type of failure: Possible serious injector failure is a chance, will find out soon but piston number 1 has melted badly & some serious burn damage to the bore. All other 5 pistons are perfectly fine, it was just one that has gone.

Factors influencing the failure: Standard block with 350rwhp, 12psi of boost & some decent speed...

State of tune of the engine: Tuned wolf3d v4 ecu

Suspension and tyres: Kei Office coilovers, Yokohama Advan fronts 235/45 & Toyo T1R's rears 255/45

Oil used and service interval: Around every 7000ks or so, oil at the time was Penrite Sin, 10w-70

General comments: Have been told that since it had happened it had been driven quite hard for some time afterwards, which is a surprise to me because I hadn't noticed a single thing wrong until the car was at the lights idling roughly & I noticed smoke (lots of). I did drive the car for about 3 minutes more to get it the the workshop as it was close, probably a mistake to even do that with how bad the smoke was, but hey, isn't hindsight great?? :)

Will hear early next week if the block can be used for the rebuild but my mechanic isn't very confident of that........updates to come.....

Engine/Car: skyline r33 gtst rb25det

Type of failure: loss of oil to head, head scourged. (oil galeries were blocked)

Factors influencing the failure: hard constant driving. dirty oil inside motor (needed a service)

State of tune of the engine: factory engine with 3.5" exhaust, factory boost

Suspension and tyres: factory. R34 GTT rims (235 wide tyres)

Oil used and service interval: not sure, happened before i got to change the oil.

General comments: could still drive car but ran very poorly and had a loud ticking from the head due to blocked oil galeries.

It's my turn

Nissan Skyline 1990 R32 GTR 400rwhp@18psi

Damaged: Rooted engine big ends pistons ect

Bought the car at 83,000km in good condition everything checked out fine compression, leak down ect. Thought I found one not similer to the ones I read in this thread before purchasing her guess I was wrong. ENGINE DEAD AT 89,000

All major mods running the stock computer modified by the looks HKS 25/30S ECT.

Story time:

Headed down the drags to beat my previous time 12.2 at a earlier date with my new button clutch launched her first time and she slipped so I rolled through. Second time launched around 3500 was on, second slipped hit the rev limiter for a bit then went into 3rd was fine. Slowed down at the end to hear KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK I knew what happened turned her off and towed her home to Mandurah 70km south of perth.

When i was driving none of the lights came on or the oil levels went up overly high

Looks like the engine has being used hard in japan around a track and the wear was over a period of time I just put the icing on the cake. Big ends shat itself good and piston

ClintsGTR%20004.jpg

ClintsGTR%20016.jpg

Piston number 6

The engine has being rebuilt before new stock internals before which is odd.

Thats in brief boys I could go into a 4 page write up haha

FUTURE

Rebuilds nearly finished by Sik Em Wrex Racing in Mandurah WA work has being great with quality gear im hoping for around 550rwhp by december. Everything has being prepared well

Edited by monga