SAU Community

450-500HP turbo, Internal or External Gate?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh i thought to myself, what if i do all this research, bloody calculations, then fork out the dough for the parts and everything, finally get it on my car and its ghey, what a waste of time... and in the end when i tried to save money originally, i think id end up spending more.

At this moment, ive made a list of turbos that would be suitable for me.

HKS 2835 56Trim .73AR, or HKS 2835R PRo (internal wastegate)

Garrett GT30 56Trim

Trust TD06SH-20G.

Ill just have to do more research and find one cheap :( hehe

Guest Robo's

What price are these guys?? Im sure the 2835 pro will be expensive, possibly the GT30 might be the pick for price wise, but is this external gated?

You can get a new HKS GT2835ProS landed in AUS for ~3k.

The GT2835Pro version is around $100 or so cheaper.

Makes you wonder if it is worth fiddling with an external gate for this application when the ProS version has been known to make 280rwkw on 1.6bar of boost.

This is from Nengun

What turbo core and compressor cover is freebagn using in a vvvvvvl exhaust?

from memory, he's running a GT3040 core with a garrett A/R .60 compressor housing and a sierra cosworth A/R .63 exhaust housing.

Yeh i thought to myself, what if i do all this research, bloody calculations, then fork out the dough for the parts and everything, finally get it on my car and its ghey, what a waste of time... and in the end when i tried to save money originally, i think id end up spending more.

At this moment, ive made a list of turbos that would be suitable for me.

HKS 2835 56Trim .73AR, or HKS 2835R PRo (internal wastegate)

Garrett GT30 56Trim

Trust TD06SH-20G.

Ill just have to do more research and find one cheap :) hehe

here's on for ya;

http://www.japanesemotorsport.com.au/partsinstock.htm

Im thinkin of gettin a TD06-19c, mattR had one and made 286rwkw on bp98 and 313rwkw with toulene.....

Decisions decisions.

Correct me if im wrong, but MattR had the TD06, then sold it and had the HKS T04-R on a manifold with twin external gates, and a Sub Zero plenum which got him up to the 313?Rwkw

Very interesting though....I have noticed (in my short turbo career:D) that no one seems to get 300 rwkw or over with an internal gate?

Anyone care to show me an example otherwise? I know you can get the 3037 Pro S which is rated the same as the 3037s, if not a little more, but has anyone actually seen good results ie 300 + rwkw on an internal gate?

Sorry for the hijack Enrico, though it may help others....including me :)

I'd say the 3037ProS will crack 300rwkw rather easily on the grounds of the 2835ProS pulling 286rwkw.

A t3/4 type back yard turbo will always have problems with boost creep due to the gate being way to small, you can only make the gate so big before you run out of room. The back yard turbo is a trial and error way of doing things, the problem is a lot of turbo shops will say 'yer it will work' yet really you are a guineepig. (Sky30 and his RB30DET)

HKS internal gates on the other hand have been designed with a large flap (45mm from memory)

Trying to find how well the 3037ProS really works is a problem, no one has published their results.

Guess your gunna have to make yourself up a guineapig suit then eh Joel :) I never had any doubt the 3037 ProS wont make it over 300rwkw...just seems too good to be true. Still requires a new manifold for the 3037ProS? If it doesnt (by memory just needed a 10mm spacer plate to clear the block?) then you are up for a new manifold...

The only added cost then is the external gate. Unless you need to spend more on the 3037 ProS to get it to hold boost, ie stiffer springs, or a top of the line boost controller...?

Catch my drift ? :D

300rwkw on the std manifold is pushing it.. :cheers:

EBC's have no issues holding boost, they work hard but do the job.

Every one needs an EBC up at that power level anyhow.

It gets too hard pushing 300rwkw.

I some times think I will settle for 270rwkw.

Slap a turbo like freebaggins on it and be happy with the response and stocker look.

I may have to talk to sky30 to see how happy he really is with the larger laggier turbo over his initial 240rwkw setup.