SAU Community

New shoes/tyres

I know this has been asked many times but hoping for some current advice on new tyres for the V36.

car: V36 Coupe SP Manual with the standard 19's

I think these are rim specs but not certain. The tyres are the same thats for sure so pretty sure this is right.

Front:
Wheels: 19"x8.5". Cast aluminum. Made for Nissan/Infiniti by Enkei. Weight: 26.5 lbs. Bolt pattern 114.3 x 5 Offset +43
Tires: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 225/45/19 92W. UTQG 140AA, weight 27 lbs., tread depth 10/32"

Rear: 
Wheels: 19"x9". Cast aluminum. Made for Nissan/Infiniti byEnkei. Weight: 27.5 lbs. Bolt pattern 114.3 x 5. Offset +45
Tires: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 245/40/19 94W. UTQG 140AA, weight 30 lbs., tread depth 10/32"

Currently running Bridgstone RE050A's and they were OK except a little noisy. It's a bit hard to compare as they are the only tyres I've had on the V36 but it's inline with what I have read.

Now the rears are closer to the wear markers and winter is kicking in (and thinking they are old...), the traction is not great any more and on some occasions terrible if the tyres are cold even in the dry. Cornering seems OK but any throttle and the car likes to over-steer. Fun but not ideal when not trying to with the misses in the car ha ha. I can now hit it in first gear with the clutch already out and chances are the rears will spin in the dry and in a straight line.

I am looking at the Bridgstone RE003's on the standard 19's.

Would I get away with 245/40/19 on the front, over the standard 225/45/19?

The same on the rear, or a wider  275/35R19 on the rear?

Doesn't appear the 225/45/19 is available in them.

Or doI go the bridgestone S001's?

The fronts are available in the s001's.

Do I go wider anyway? Or stick to OEM sizes on the OEM rims?

I was originally wondering about Toyo r888's and also a few other higher wearing tyres but thinking the RE003's are a good balance.

Any other suggestions? I am not brand loyal other than considering two bridgestone tyres above.

I hope to track it in the near future, but the car is mainly a daily so don't want to base it purely around track times. I'm prepared for some wear if it means decent grip however. 

I'm of the (strong) opinion that Bridgestone tyres suck balls. I've tested a couple of them and they simply don't handle wet weather very well, for my spirited driving style.

So, if you want to get serious with your grip, I would strongly urge you to go check out the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (or, if you're not that budget conscious, Pilot Sport 4S).

I run PS3 on the rear (because I got them about a year ago) but when I was looking for the Nissan specification for the fronts, I could only find them in a PS4S and only outside of Australia. I ended up ordering in a pair from TireRack.com but they cost me a total of AUD$1100 for the pair. Was it worth it? Hell yeah. If anything, I find that I now need to balance out the grip in the rear with a pair of PS4S one day because the front end is exceedingly grippier than the rear end now.

As for road noise, maybe it's because I'm so used to driving the old BA wagon nugget, which also has PS3 tyres but I have not noticed what some have complained - that the PS4 are a noticeably noisier tyre compared to the PS3. In the V36, I'm always blasting heavy metal so road noise is non-existent.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hadouken said:

Lots of tyres to consider in the tyre thread. Much up to date info in there as Well.

Thanks.

Hmm how have I managed to miss the tyre thread? I searched this v35/v36 forum and didn't see it. TIme to back and search.

Does it also tackle my questions about the OEM sizes?

I am happy to go 1 to 2 percent higher in diameter all round if need be as the speedo is out anyway (just don't think I should go different variance front/rear. I'm leaning towards what Nissan thought should go on the rims if I can find a decent tyre in 225/45/19 hmm.

Edited by Pete_Repeat

23 minutes ago, The Max said:

I'm of the (strong) opinion that Bridgestone tyres suck balls. I've tested a couple of them and they simply don't handle wet weather very well, for my spirited driving style.

So, if you want to get serious with your grip, I would strongly urge you to go check out the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (or, if you're not that budget conscious, Pilot Sport 4S).

I run PS3 on the rear (because I got them about a year ago) but when I was looking for the Nissan specification for the fronts, I could only find them in a PS4S and only outside of Australia. I ended up ordering in a pair from TireRack.com but they cost me a total of AUD$1100 for the pair. Was it worth it? Hell yeah. If anything, I find that I now need to balance out the grip in the rear with a pair of PS4S one day because the front end is exceedingly grippier than the rear end now.

As for road noise, maybe it's because I'm so used to driving the old BA wagon nugget, which also has PS3 tyres but I have not noticed what some have complained - that the PS4 are a noticeably noisier tyre compared to the PS3. In the V36, I'm always blasting heavy metal so road noise is non-existent.

The governing thing for me at the moment is do I stick with the standard 225/45/19 on the front and the 245/40/19 on the rear. As the front might help decide what tyre I buy out of the list of 6 or so tyres now.

PS4, add that to the list Hadouken mentioned as well then I guess. I also looked into the Nito's a while back as well. I'll move this to general tyre performance/choice to the tyre forum once I find it.

Can you send me the link to this tyre thread? I don't really see one other than the one in the suspension forum and that isn't overly detailed, nor answer anything related to v36 wheel sizes specifically.

The Pilot Sport 4's are very limiting in size here in a 19. I can only find the 245/40/19 and thats it. So only the rears.

I am now toying with the idea of not aiming for the specific tyre sizes as factory but to change the diameter by the same amount (preferably marginally taller so the speedo is closer to being right if anything).

I'd like to go the 245/40 front and 265/35 rear, due to the 245/40 being readily available in most tyres but then the rear size is harder to find.. And not sure the 245 in the front will be OK with rubbing in a coupe.

Best bet would be a 235/45 in front and a 255/40 in the rear. SLightly higher side walls but speedo will be fine. Not sure how common those sizes are either. I guess I have a bit of work ahead of me.

Table to help me make tyre pairs/combo's. Differences are based on the OEM sizes.

front diff rear diff
235/40 -2.2 255/35 -2.6
245/40 -1.1 265/35 -1.5
235/45 1.1 255/40 1.1
245/45 2.6 265/40 2.2

21 minutes ago, Pete_Repeat said:

The Pilot Sport 4's are very limiting in size here in a 19. I can only find the 245/40/19 and thats it. So only the rears.

You weren't reading all of what I wrote. Now I understand why you call yourself Pete_Repeat.

1 hour ago, The Max said:

...but when I was looking for the Nissan specification for the fronts, I could only find them in a PS4S and only outside of Australia.

• Like 1

Just now, The Max said:

You weren't reading all of what I wrote. Now I understand why you call yourself Pete_Repeat.

True ha ha. I sorta misunderstood what you wrote and didn't even realise there was a PS4S. Thought you meant PS4's and back when you looked you had to get them overseas but they existed... So I searched and still found that they can't be got here in anything but 245/40 in a 19.

Anyway, think I'm just confusing myself.

So in summary;

The PS4 look great except no sizes other than rear (like you said) which means same front to rear. The PS4S are still not available here, but are available in both front and rear sizes (as you said). I like these, but looks like they need to be brought in from overseas. Seem to be great for every day and could be used on track.

The RE003 look far less appealing after reading the stickied thread I somehow missed (too much reliance on the search function). The reviews showed them highly rated but mixed feelings here.

The RS3 appear to not have anything suitable but the 245/40/19 for the rear which would mean I'd have the same front to rear which means 1% taller in the front only (not sure about rubbing on the front due to width either).

The AD08r seem to have 245/40/19 for the front and 265/35 for the rear (1% smaller all round but OK). Need ot consider rubbing here as well. These seem to like warmth to get sticky so winter mornings might need some heat put into them first (I live south west sydney so the mornings are getting cooler). But good once warm and also decent on the track.

The Nitto Invo's come in both sizes it appears. Haven't looked into them much but did consider them years ago for an S15 project before I grew up and bought the v36 instead :)

OK. I'm leaning towards the PS4S if I can source them here in OEM sizes. Looks like they want 1k USD plus shipping from tirerack ouch. Have asked Tempe tyres if they can source them but doubtful anywhere in Oz at this stage by the looks of it.

Next up is the AD08R in the 1.1 to 1.5 smaller diameter (front/rear).

I have left this topic here as I thought as the difficulties are in the sizes and range available for the V36 OEM rims that it wouldn't only clutter up the other thread.

Was hoping others may have chimed in specifically for the V36/G37 OEM 19 inch tyre options here in Oz. I'm not wanting the RE050A's again.

21 hours ago, Hadouken said:

Yokohama AD08R

I've got these on my car. From what limited driving i have done these are incredible useful once warm.

Not great for commuting, but on the track they gripped harder than I was willing to push the car. I don't hear too much road noise from them either.

While i have no comparison for you, I would recommend these based on my own experience.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steve85 said:

I've got these on my car. From what limited driving i have done these are incredible useful once warm.

Not great for commuting, but on the track they gripped harder than I was willing to push the car. I don't hear too much road noise from them either.

While i have no comparison for you, I would recommend these based on my own experience.

Thanks for the input.. Very helpful.

This was one of my fears, as while I do plan on a track day at Wakefield in the nearish future (no record breaking times in a stock manual V36 other than the whiteline sway bars) but my main focus was a grippy street tyre. I had read once about the ad08r liking heat, and I have driven on tyres that needed heat before, but I'm just heading into winter and 99% of their time (75% wear say) will be on a commute. I understand most performance tyres need some form of heat into them, just trying to work out whether they are worse than the Falken RT615 (or 215 I can't remember) I have had on a previous S15 or not. I have not read many posts about the Pilot Sport 4 (or 4S) needing heat on the road.

I have read that the ad08r is a great tyre for track use that's still decent on the drive on the road.

3 minutes ago, Pete_Repeat said:

I have read that the ad08r is a great tyre for track use that's still decent on the drive on the road.

I don't really use my car's potential on the road, but between the tires and brakes, it doesn't stop as well as my normal cars.

Other people may have a different experience, but I can say that my car requires, a bit of a warm up match the engine.

Of course, it's going to depend on your driving style, but on the road, i take it nice and easy. Good luck with your selection.

Edit: I should add, the car doesn't get driven in a "spirited fashion" which may be the cause of my terrible braking. Other people might drive it differently which may mean the tires work much better. Maybe grab a second opinion on these tires...

Edited by Steve85
  • Like 1

To make things a little easier I have read the G37 guys/gals also run a 245/40/19 on the front with a 275/35/19 on the rear.

Makes the rear about 0.5% smaller than stock and the front about 1.1% smaller. So not quite as close as the 265/35/19 (1.6% and 1.1%) but seems OK for rubbing and also difference between front to rear increase/decrease.

So in stock sizes the front are 1% smaller than the rear, with the first combo front 245/40/19 and rear 265/35/19 are 1.57% smaller, with the 275/35/19 its 0.52 smaller%.

Anything more than 3% supposedly could give problems with the abs or traction/ECS.

This is opening up tyres again for the V36. Seems to be heavily discussed with the G37 guys, but not much here for the sizes.

I'm not familiar with other sizes because I figure that Nissan have gone to reasonable lengths to determine the appropriate sizes for our tyres on what is a pretty serious performance vehicle. It's not a supercar but nevertheless, it's been built to do what it does very well as it is.

2 hours ago, The Max said:

I'm not familiar with other sizes because I figure that Nissan have gone to reasonable lengths to determine the appropriate sizes for our tyres on what is a pretty serious performance vehicle. It's not a supercar but nevertheless, it's been built to do what it does very well as it is.

I hear you. I was am still of the same thought.... But with the limited availability of the front size it's made me doubt how important that is.

I know the RE050a are still available here (old tyre) but there are much better tyres out there I believe so I don't want to buy them again.

The Pilot sport 4 only comes in 245/40/19 so there is no option for the front for that, not even a different alternative.

The Pilot Sport 4S is not here yet (as it was when you bought the 4S for the front tyres, but supposedly here mid 2017 whenever that is) and I have tried a number of places... So overseas is the only option for them at the moment. I have asked tirerack for shipping costs but looking at 1000 usd + shipping for them.

This brings me onto another topic... Will the Pilot Sport 4S conform to the Australian market when imported from the US?

Luckily my tyres are still legal, just quite slippery in the cooler weather now they have warn down low. And thankfully the rear is the worst so the front still hang on OK.

I have just recently got myself a V36 type S coupe and from what I've worked out, the speedo reads 7% higher than actual speed, so upping the tyre size a little wont make the speedo read incorrectly.. And from what I could find on here in the Skyline V36 coupe - Wheels offset fitment section,  I came up with this sizing.. but some of the info is a little misleading and confusing as the sizing's often say lowered on coilovers and yet others don't mention anything at all about being on stock suspension.. (or maybe I'm just easily confused) lol.. So thinking I was being clever, I got some Nitto Invo tyres at 245/45/20 for the front and 275/40/20 for the back.. This however was an expensive mistake (over $3500.00), as they rub like mad, both front and back a lot more on the back, they're just way too big.. (my bad).. This being said it did make the speed and speedo read correctly.. lol  But it also makes the car look terrible (think 4wd rock climber.. pic below)..

Ohh and the wheels are TSW BATHURST, 20x9 et30 for the front and 20x10 et40 for the back..

But from what I see as far as where they were rubbing, I'm now looking at trying  245/40/20   265/35/20..  So I guess we'll see..

DSCF0226.JPG

Edited by taranaki gloria

Bureaucracy might suggest importing those Michelins would not be legal because they aren't stamped by an Australian authority. However, the tyre definitely exceeds Australian standards.

Michelin Australia originally said mid 2017 for the PS4S as per the reports online, but after asking them in an email and saying mid 2017 could mean now until 4 months away, they say likely it's July

More talking out loud. Luckily I have some time, although my inner edge rear is touching on illegal. Front are fine and generally the rear tyres are OK so I have some time still (but prefer to buy soon).

- PS4 no combo of sizes suitable, as in only the rear size, so ruling them out.

- Invo's heard mixed opinions so ruling them out to make it easier.

- Super Sports seem fairly good decent reviews. Super sports would mean 245/40/19 on front and probably 265/35/19 on rear (275/35/19 is pushing the limit on 9 inch wheel and don't want to increase sidewall roll but they are also available). Around $1500 for all 4. 

- All sounding OK except the PS4S improved in a lot of areas over the super sports... they will land in July (estimate) so there will be a better replacement soon damn why did I need to read that :) . Why can't the PS4S be here already????????? Would have made the decision easy. Imported they are about $1900 in stock sizes so the most expensive option in my options so far.

- S001 are meant to be OK, but some not so positive reports for bridgstone although mainly positive so not sure what to think here. 1% up in diameter both front and rear (235/45/19 and 255/40/19) so speedo getting closer to right. Sizes are OK. $1200

- Hankook RS3 in the only option suitable of 245/40/19 and 275/35/19 for $948. Cheapest decent tyre. Some mixed reports, but overall OK. Some reports of not having a lot of traction which is making me hesitate a little. The rear tyre size are pushing the limits of what I would like and no 265/35 available. Not many other combo's to stay close or as per OEM rolling diameter for them.

So now I am down to the PS4S, the S001's and the RS3's... Or wait for the PS4S to come here, but expect rpices to be similiair to the Super Sports or a little more anyway.... SO maybe just import them now.

Edit: I will also put this post in the tyre thread as its moving away from recommendations for V36 specific sizes now.

Edited by Pete_Repeat