SAU Community

Squeeling brakes in R32 GTR

The brakes are driving me crazy in my r32 GTR (haven't owned the car long) it's a vspec so the brembo's are of a bigger spec. Pads were changed by last owner and aren't a month old discs were machined as well he was told that the noise would pass I highly doubt it.

Pads have been removed sanded down and anti-squeel copper greased applied this stopped the problem for alittle while but now the noise is back . Pads are Lucas pads and of unknown softness/hardness if I replaced with a softer pad would the problem go away?.

Guest two.06l
The brakes are driving me crazy in my r32 GTR (haven't owned the car long) it's a vspec so the brembo's are of a bigger spec. Pads were changed by last owner and aren't a month old discs were machined as well he was told that the noise would pass I highly doubt it.

Pads have been removed sanded down and anti-squeel copper greased applied this stopped the problem for alittle while but now the noise is back . Pads are Lucas pads and of unknown softness/hardness if I replaced with a softer pad would the problem go away?.

you need to remove the brembo discs and calipers and send them to DIRTgarage.then we will send you r32 sumitomo calipers discs and bendix ultimate pads.install them on your car and your problem will be fixed.

Guest two.06l

by now i hope you realise i was only kidding.i am sure only japanese pads fit these calipers so make sure they are the correct type..paul....DIRTgarage

I have bendix ultimate on my brembos - they still squeel :)

its just the way higher performance pads are i thought?

only happens to me under lights braking - so i just avoid light braking :(

Guest two.06l
I have bendix ultimate on my brembos - they still squeel :)

its just the way higher performance pads are i thought?

only happens to me under lights braking - so i just avoid light braking :(

interesting we also run ultimates and no squeal,go figure.paul.....DIRTgarage

ah, the saga of the squealing brakes. i have dba 5000 and Brembo calipers with Ferodo 2500 pads. squeal?....ha ha....SQUEAL!!!!!!????? they are hopeless. as an aside the 'squeal' is actually a resonance in the disc.

there is a thread on squealing brakes somewhere here.

have heard dba discs are too hard and promote resonance but I don't believe it really. have been told the pads are track pads...could be the the problem. but yes it's bloody annoying; it's so bad that when i stop i expect other cars windscreens to blow out. can't imagine new R32 V-Spec and R33 GTRs squealed like this.

will be looking closely at solutions soon with the mech who was asked to install something good that 'didn't squeal'.

I would imagine there are/should be "anti-squeal" shims and clips fitted to these brakes from the factory. My GTR with the std Sumitomo brakes still had theseon when I got it. I can understand why people may leave these off when you change disc pads as they are fiddly farkers to put back on and they don't actually affect brake performance. They do stop the bloody squeal, 'tho.

Suggest someone with Nissan Fast program checks out if the Brembos came with them out of the factory.

Cobra;

I'm not talking light squeal or squeak - I'm talking pain levels if you are next to the car when it stops slowly.

Gav;

Hornsby Nissan advise that there is no shim kit for Brembos listed.

Interestingly they are 'allowed' to bring in pads for the R33 GTR ($880 set) but not the R32 V-Spec.

ah, the saga of the squealing brakes. i have dba 5000 and Brembo calipers with Ferodo 2500 pads. squeal?....ha ha....SQUEAL!!!!!!????? they are hopeless. as an aside the 'squeal' is actually a resonance in the disc.  

have been told the pads are track pads...could be the the problem.

I'm running AP Racing 6 Pots with export DBA rotors on custom aluminium hats with Ferodo DS2500 for street and DS3000 for track.

If you think the DS2500 squeal, wait till you put in a set of DS3000s :D;) :Oops:

7heavn: Have you gotten your discs machined? They might be slightly warped or have formed a ridge from debris between the pad and disc scraping away a groove...

Also I'm not too sure about sanding down the pads... Sure, you can make the face of the pads flat, but how can you be sure you're making the surface level-flat? i.e. How do you know it's not flat, but on an angle so that one edge of the pad touches the disc first, instead of the whole pad face touching the disc at the same time? That would just promote squealing even more!!! :)

I'm not talking light squeal or squeak - I'm talking pain levels if you are next to the car when it stops slowly.

hahaha this is exactly what i had... I learnt to brake hard and then sloooowly coast up to a stop without using them at all so they didn't make the noise lol

They were Bendix black pads (dunno the proper name??) put on - AND the discs were machined...

anyway, I took it back and they fixed it (for a while) then it came back.

So I took it back again and they said they'd put on a new set, but they ended up doing something to the current set, and now they're fine! (so far - it's only been a week)

with the high performance pads i find that you have to regularly flog the crap out of them

if you drive around like a massive ***** for a few weeks they sqeel like a bastard

what you need to do is once a week go to either a race track or nasho park and give them a proper belting.. keeps them happy

discs were taken off today and sent to race brakes and were machined . My mechanic did explain how they were done but they aren't machined like a normal disc they are done a differen't way. The dics now have like a pattern in them and the squeeling has gone . The Lucas pads I'm using turned out to be a pretty soft compound anyway.

I'll let you guys know how it goes over the next few weeks.

cheers

Brett

hahaha this is exactly what i had... I learnt to brake hard and then sloooowly coast up to a stop without using them at all so they didn't make the noise lol

They were Bendix black pads (dunno the proper name??) put on - AND the discs were machined...

anyway, I took it back and they fixed it (for a while) then it came back.

So I took it back again and they said they'd put on a new set, but they ended up doing something to the current set, and now they're fine! (so far - it's only been a week)

Hi Shell;

I suspect they chamfered the ends of the pad material; it's been known to work. Do you mind telling me where you took it? How is it going now?

• 2 weeks later...
discs were taken off today and sent to race brakes and were machined . My mechanic did explain how they were done but they aren't machined like a normal disc they are done a differen't way. The dics now have like a pattern in them  and the squeeling has gone . The Lucas pads I'm using turned out to be a pretty soft compound anyway.

I'll let you guys know how it goes over the next few weeks.

cheers

Brett

wow you go to extraordinary lengths to machine rotors!

my mechanic has a machine that does the rotor on the axle and does it for like $15 a corner.

yeh but these were machined in a differen't way discs had to come off the car . Discs are sort of machined in steps and now a light pattern on the discs is visable, tell you the truth I would have done anything to stop this prob cause it was driving me nuts :D . Seems to have stopped it though but yet to take the car on a goo long drive.