SAU Community

ceramic coating in SA

Clint32

Ive got 3 turbo manifolds ceramically coated at PowerKote a coupla months ago. Prices were pretty good and the guy is very friendly to work with. You cant do a manifold in silver because its not suited for super high temps and the alloy in the coating basically "boils out" as the guy said.

did u get an SS Autochrome manifold in the group buy Leo? I have one on order from avi in the current group buy to arrive in a few weeks. Can you please PM the number of the coating guy or give me a buzz? I want to get a few things done at the same time.

Maybe we can all do a group deal, as it is much cheaper the more you get done!! Where did you get yours done again Matt H? From memory he got about 6-8 items done and it was only $400 or something.

is this the normal silver colour or can it be in shiny polished type?

if you guys organise a gb for the shiny polished type of powerkote I will prob get my heat shield done as well

Hey Andrew, yeah I got 1 from the group buy, and got it machined/coated. Its still sitting in my garage in glad wrap! Been like that for 2 months now! If you wanna check manifold itself and/or the coating job out, gimme a yell.

But yeah group deal is the best way to go, singlely he quoted about 170ish, and cos I got 3 done, he did them for 120 with a dump pipe job thrown in for free!

He's currently moving places, and I lost his card. However look it up in the whitepages, thats where he is!

Yeah Andrew, I got 9 things done at the same time and it was $440 (at PowerKote).

I had my exhaust manifold heatshield done in the silver (isn't as shiny as chrome but still comes up nice) and it has handled the heat no prob's so far. I saw John's exhaust manifold (DRIFT6) after it had copped HUGE amounts of heat (sustained big rev's and big boost) and it had discoloured quite badly, the coating was still ok but it had changed to a dull silver.

Yeah Andrew, I got 9 things done at the same time and it was $440 (at PowerKote).  

I had my exhaust manifold heatshield done in the silver (isn't as shiny as chrome but still comes up nice) and it has handled the heat no prob's so far. I saw John's exhaust manifold (DRIFT6) after it had copped HUGE amounts of heat (sustained big rev's and big boost) and it had discoloured quite badly, the coating was still ok but it had changed to a dull silver.

John Munroe just got all his stuff back for the drag car. Ask him. He may see this thread. Looked great in brightish silver look. Is on everything hot.

Would the same stuff be ok on a street car though?? I dont wanna fork out $$ to have my manifold/dump coated to have it peel off....

Do they coat the inside as well as outside? Ive never had it done, so im just worried if its in the inside of the manifold, what happens when it peels? Goes into the turbs = blown seals??

Might have to do some more research.....

i know that the manifold on drift6 and many otherw was done somewhere local i just need to confirm where and see if there are anyothers

I spoke to powerkote and they told me they are trialing the bright silver/chrome look on maniolds but as i said i know of heaps that have been done

• 3 months later...

Hey all,

Is there any more info on this subject?

I just got my twin dump pipes (custom made in QLD), and I want to get them HPC coated before getting them installed.

Does anyone have any contact details for Powerkote?... or recommend anyone in the City or southern area?

Cheers,

Rob

I had my new manifold done by PowerKote a couple of months ago. Cost $200 for the silver over black coating. They no longer have the peeling problem, as they use a different technique. Call Laurie on 8354 2066 - 6 Reese Ave, Richmond.

Cheers guys for the replies..

Andrew cheers for address, and yep hope that peeling prob is gone that you mentioned Timmy...dont feel like replacing 2 turbos :)

Clint will wait till end of the month, that sounds good let me know. I will not be getting mine coated for a few months anyway.