SAU Community

BNR32 RB26 , motec M84 missfire

25 minutes ago, joshuaho96 said:

I would really want a cast manifold for longevity reasons, bolt-on kit with heat shields, piping, etc all ready to go

You're American aren't you? It explains the difference in attitude. In Oz we like to actually make stuff from scratch. We can see from all the US car media that the only way to do something is to buy the kit, put on the nitrile gloves and fit it. I would rather an exhaust manifold that I fabricated myself than almost any other option.

And there's nothing wrong with low mount single turbos on GTRs if you're not trying to cram in a big one. For your power goal and stated desire to keep it looking a bit original, it would be a sensible choice.

And, just harking back to the question/point about why BMW choose to use twins......it's also all about the very modern control systems that they have for them. The twin turbo systems that came out on 2JZ and 13B after the GTRs simple parallel system were intended to widen the torque band, but suffered from having control systems that weren't really ready for the big time. Fast forward 20 years and the control systems that the OEM engineers can put onto them now are just stupendous. Plenty of processing power and fantastic actuators of various sorts. It's a different world. And it is a different world - meaning that it does not apply to clunky old GTR twin turbos. So the selection logic that leads BMW to choose twins does not carry over.

40 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Another reason I advocate buying a BMW M4, spend money on a flash, full TBE,  better IC and it would destroy any R32~34 GT-R around a circuit, and at the drag strip.

Because hey, no matter what @GTSBoy and I say you're going to refute it.

The easy way would be to link a kit for a low mount single that is bolt-on and keeps all the things I’m asking for.

I’m not exactly chasing after performance here either. The M4 has dead steering, sounds pretty terrible, and is kind of a pain to see out the front due to the tall hood from the charge cooler and pedestrian safety regulations. I also want the driving dynamics of ATTESA-ETS. It is extremely competent technically though.

24 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

You're American aren't you? It explains the difference in attitude. In Oz we like to actually make stuff from scratch. We can see from all the US car media that the only way to do something is to buy the kit, put on the nitrile gloves and fit it. I would rather an exhaust manifold that I fabricated myself than almost any other option.

And there's nothing wrong with low mount single turbos on GTRs if you're not trying to cram in a big one. For your power goal and stated desire to keep it looking a bit original, it would be a sensible choice.

And, just harking back to the question/point about why BMW choose to use twins......it's also all about the very modern control systems that they have for them. The twin turbo systems that came out on 2JZ and 13B after the GTRs simple parallel system were intended to widen the torque band, but suffered from having control systems that weren't really ready for the big time. Fast forward 20 years and the control systems that the OEM engineers can put onto them now are just stupendous. Plenty of processing power and fantastic actuators of various sorts. It's a different world. And it is a different world - meaning that it does not apply to clunky old GTR twin turbos. So the selection logic that leads BMW to choose twins does not carry over.

Yeah I'm a big dumb American. I don't know enough about this stuff to attempt to make a single turbo conversion from scratch.

I think the BMW S55 engine does have more advanced control systems but at the end of the day it's a parallel twin turbo setup like the RB26. They have neat tricks to play like fully electronic wastegates and soon 48V mild hybrid but the core architectural trade-off between a bigger single and small twins is still there. I suspect it's really a packaging, thermal management, and emissions problem for BMW but that's just me armchair engineering.

Edited by joshuaho96

56 minutes ago, joshuaho96 said:

I would really want a cast manifold for longevity reasons,

Yeah I'm a big dumb American. I don't know enough about this stuff to attempt to make a single turbo conversion from scratch.

You don't really have to make it from scratch yourself.

There are shops in NZ (as well as in Australia) who could make a manifold from welded steam pipe (not cast and not thin stainless) which would support any of the well known modern turbos. They have done so many of these for every kind of RB that just with the details of the turbo you want to use and the car you have it could be shipped to you and would fit like a glove. Just two of these shops are RIPS       https://www.ripsracing.com/

and Sinco       https://www.sincocustoms.com/

and for you viewing pleasure the manifold I got in the mail from Sinco many years ago now:

wastegate.jpg