SAU Community

R34 sedan auto options

Adz2332

Hey all

I have a 34 sedan auto. I was going to swap it to a manual but I dont mind having an auto daily.

I am going to get a shift kit put in but i need to use the car still, so will be buying a spare gearbox to do it to in the mean time.

My question is, is there any other boxs that have at least 5 gears that will fit the neo 25det? That can take around 300kws? And can be used with the steering wheel controls?

Being a daily and cruise it on the highway just feels it needs an extra gear or two

I don't think so. Remember that the TCS is in the ECU, and they are only meant to talk to the gearbox type that they were intended for. I'd bet a few bucks that only the RE040300274624376478 or whatever it is that lived behind RB25DET Neos will do. Keep in mind that there was only a short window of time in Nissan land where they were doing slightly tricky boxes (with steering wheel shift, etc) on the RBs. Essentially just the 3-4 years of the R34. After that, it all went VQ.

21 minutes ago, Adz2332 said:

something 5 plus speed tho I guess

Yuh....but how would you control it? As I said, the TCU is in the ECU. They talk to each other directly - it's not as if you can plug in another TCU. And the TCU you have is unlikley to want to talk to a different tranny.

2 hours ago, Adz2332 said:

Hey all

I have a 34 sedan auto. I was going to swap it to a manual but I dont mind having an auto daily.

I am going to get a shift kit put in but i need to use the car still, so will be buying a spare gearbox to do it to in the mean time.

My question is, is there any other boxs that have at least 5 gears that will fit the neo 25det? That can take around 300kws? And can be used with the steering wheel controls?

Being a daily and cruise it on the highway just feels it needs an extra gear or two

you in adelaide? the Shift kit guy is MV automatics at Blackwood. Go there and its done. no need to pull out box.

You can get aftermarket ECU's that will take control of an auto gearbox.

You can seperate it out from the neo ECU (or run a haltech, other standalone manual-only ecu).

You can repurpose the steering wheel buttons to do other things (such as, shift up/down as an input on an aftermarket transmission ECU).

That said, don't.
NFi what will bolt to a RB that isn't a RB. People definitely can though (plenty of auto 2 and 3 speeds for drag on RB's) but lol I can imagine the pain of trying to get a ZF 6 speed working with a RB. It would be easier to just put a LS and it's auto or a Barra and it's auto in at the same time and massively more advisable than just doing the gearbox.

I said you can’t do it.... as in a sensible person shouldn’t do it. Strange word choice I know.

you can get stand alone 6l80e controllers if you are after 6 speed auto that’s quite strong and a massive head duck to get it working correctly. 
and probably won’t fit cos it’s massive. 

get a shift kit, report back