SAU Community

Timing Belt Should I? R32 GTS-T

Hi All,

As I have no service history on my stock auto R32 GTST so am considering replacing the timing belt - As I have no service history, (well I spoke to the last mechanic who put a sticker on the car and he only did a service on it and although I asked for a price for a new timing belt - he never corrected me to tell me it was replaced) - I was thinking for my own peace of mind that I probably should replace it - at least it gives me confidence knowing that it was done at a certain date, but here's the thing:

• What if I don't replace it and it breaks, will it totally stuff up the engine? - What's the definition of 'stuff up'? Should I even bother replacing it?
  • Apart from obvious wear - What should I look for to see if its on the way out - or am I just wasting my money
  • How hard is it to replace the belt, myself (I saw some DIY instructions on the forum)
  • When I priced the cost via a mechanic or three to replaced the belt, they suggested that they do the full kit - I assume this includes: Belt, Water Pump, thermostat, crankshaft & camshaft seals, idler & tensioner bearings. The cost for this works varies between $1100 - $2095 !!

I'd be keen to hear your thoughts...

Also - any recommendations for a local mechanic in the Parramatta - Hornsby area.

Cheers

The first rule of timing belts is, if you don't know when it was last changed, change it. Water pump too.

Seals, bearings, etc are not subject to that rule. If they look fine, they are fine and you needn't bother. If the thermostat is working and the coolant is clean, no need to open that either.

Agree. And yes in rb engines (although possibly not rb20?) there will be terminal damage if it breaks; the valves will hit the pistons and be bent requiring major work.

As for doing the job....its about the hardest job an untrained person would take on, but as always if you follow the instructions, take it slowly and have the right tools it is perfectly doable. Unfortunately there is a heap of work which is why it is expensive to get done by a workshop.