SAU Community

Checking my tune

Hey team. 

Bit of a noob question.  I have to take my 34 to an auto sparky to get a couple of bits n pieces sorted out. 

Ive notice that the car seems to run a bit sluggish and smells a bit rich. I used to have an S14 which was also only an NA 2L auto but that seemed to have a lot more go than my 34. 

would checking the tune/ timing etc be something they would do or would that be more of a mechanic thing. 

cheers in advance. 

Hey mate,

What ECU does your car have? If it's a stock ECU, what do you think someone is actually doing when you say 'check the tune'? 

As for checking your timing, do you mean throwing a timing light on it and checking the base timing is correct? Virtually anyone should be able to do that for you. 

What things have you done so far to try and fix the running rich issue?

Checking the tune I wasn’t sure if shit could get outta whack or anything. The timing I wasn’t sure if you could use a light or not as I’ve read a few things mentioning that a light wouldn’t work for some reason. As for running rich all I’ve done so far is plugs, coils and had to replace maf sensor cos that kacked itself. Not sure if any of those would help tho.

Cher’s for your reply

You can't change the tune with a stock ecu but a garage could test your exhaust for AFRs to see if it really is excessively rich. Timing can certainly be checked with a timing light but it is unlikely to be your problem.

10 hours ago, Hazzid69 said:

Checking the tune I wasn’t sure if shit could get outta whack or anything. The timing I wasn’t sure if you could use a light or not as I’ve read a few things mentioning that a light wouldn’t work for some reason. As for running rich all I’ve done so far is plugs, coils and had to replace maf sensor cos that kacked itself. Not sure if any of those would help tho.

Cher’s for your reply

Could still be as simple as an oxygen sensor or boost leak. 

Also, you could pay $80-$150 and throw it on a dyno to check your AFRs. You might find the fuel smell is actually a fuel leak somewhere and the feeling sluggish, is just your butt-dyno isn't properly calibrated lol